Peter Jackson's KING KONG

Started by Spike, December 14, 2003, 01:15:38 PM

cowboykurtis

...your excuses are your own...

MacGuffin

Quote from: cowboykurtisweak

'King Kong' goes digital
Source: USA TODAY

Meet Kong. King Kong. You've seen him before, but never like this. He might look older than the 1933 original, but he's still a hairy brute with a nasty temper and a weakness for blondes.

Director Peter Jackson's King Kong could prove to be a box-office slump buster, though it isn't due until Dec. 14. But its teaser trailer will be unveiled on TV Monday and in theaters Wednesday as War of the Worlds opens. The preview of the action thriller starring Adrien Brody, Naomi Watts and Jack Black will be seen on 10 NBC-owned networks just before 9 ET.

Jackson has reached into the same Oscar-winning bag of tricks he used on the Lord of the Rings trilogy to turn the tragic monster from a Depression-era puppet to a 21st-century digital terror.

Andy Serkis, the human behind the computerized creature Gollum in Rings, provides Kong's movements and acted opposite the actors on the set. "There's a connection between him and Ann Darrow that's really important," Serkis says. Watts takes over Fay Wray's scream duties as the struggling actress who ends up in Kong's clutches.

As impressive as he is in the trailer, Kong is still a work in progress, says Jackson, calling from his native New Zealand. "We are deciding on the length of his fur, how tangled it should be, how much gray to work around the eyes."

Photos of silverback gorillas were superimposed on Kong's image, and tweaks were made. "He's not the Hulk of gorillas. That's the charm of Kong," the director says. "He is past his prime and isn't the super-virile ape of 30 years ago."

Serkis, who studied gorilla behavior in Rwanda, also does grunt work on Kong's behalf. "We developed a Kong-alyzer that allows him to make a lot of gorilla noises through a machine," Jackson says.

The primate stands 25 feet (real gorillas top out at 6 feet) and is 120 to 150 years old (30 is normal in the wild, 50 in captivity). The most notable feature on the battered beast is his snaggletooth. "We had the notion that Kong's jawbone was smashed in an ancient fight and mended itself at a crooked angle," he says.

Watts says her relationship with Kong is more evolved than in the original or the derided 1976 remake with Jessica Lange. "He's not picking off my clothes or blowing me dry with his breath," she says. "It's much more tender. There is something incredibly attractive about his power and masculinity. And isn't that what we all want in a man?"
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

The Perineum Falcon

Well, this will be a spectacle.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

w/o horse

Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

Kal

Wooooooww... impressed  :bravo:

lamas

my expectations couldn't possibly be lower.  Heaven's Gate anyone?

w/o horse

I can't decide if I want to defend Heaven's Gate or King Kong.  Either way that analogy is awful, but you should probably submit it to VH1's Best Week Ever.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

lamas

i'd like to hear your defense for King Kong

w/o horse

There was a T. Rex and a car got thrown?

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: Losing the Horse:There was a T. Rex and a car got thrown?
Is that it?
'Cause I've already seen that movie.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

i liked the first half , then there's too much cgi, but i guess that's my problem.
context, context, context.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: cronopioi liked the first half , then there's too much cgi, but i guess that's my problem.

it's my problem as well
...your excuses are your own...

w/o horse

Quote from: ranemaka13
Quote from: Losing the Horse:There was a T. Rex and a car got thrown?
Is that it?
'Cause I've already seen that movie.

What, you're crazy.  That movie had a way different title.

But seriously, a man once said that a movie coming out every couple of years about dinosaurs and mythological creatures isn't such a bad thing.  I agree with that man.

Stefen

It's got that distinct Peter Jackson look to it, but I'm not impressed. It's like Mighty Joe Young or something. Too digital. Those creatures look like they have no weight to them whatsoever, hopefully that will be fixed, but it just looks like a movie about a big monkey and a dinosaur, boring.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pubrick

steal it directly:

naomi watts looks amazing, no bad shots in this so far. i don't mind the CGI, if u bought everything that happened in LotR there's no reason for u to object to this. as that dude once told Losing the Horse, giant apes fighting dinosaurs over a hot chick is a good thing. i like the grimy shots, and the glossy ones of the jungle.

only bad thing i can see is albatross brody, i don't get his role, he seems to be the thankless Orlando Bloom type of actor in this where everyone else steals the show.
under the paving stones.