Lynch's short films

Started by Pastor Parsley, November 06, 2003, 11:51:32 AM

Weak2ndAct

NM--
I've never had a problem ordering anything from Lynch's store, fear not.  My only gripe is that the shipping charges are outrageous, but then once you have a nice black box with 'David Lynch' written on it show up at your door, all anger instantly subsides.

Q for everyone, is it me, or does 'Frenchman' seem slightly out of sync?

kotte

I hated 'six men' and alphabet. Why are people calling these a work of a true genius? Beacuse we know who he is? Why?

If I would've made six men no one would've called it genius.

Ghostboy

Knowing that Lynch did them does not make them better in my opinion, but it does give you the benefit of watching them knowing what came from the same mind afterwards.

Six Men Getting Sick is a brilliant mixed media piece of sculpture...watching the film, it helps if you imagine you're seeing it live. If I had seen that in a gallery without knowing who did it, I would have flipped out and stared at it for about an hour.

The Alphabet...again, if I saw that in a film festival without knowing who did it, I'd be pretty impressed. It's completely rough around the edges, but in a good way, and it's creepy as hell. But if it ain't your cup of tea, there's nothing wrong with that.

MacGuffin

Rabbits (Part 1):

Rabbits (Part 2):

Rabbits (Part 3):

Rabbits (Part 4):

Rabbits (Part 5):

Rabbits (Part 6):

Rabbits (Part 7):

Rabbits (Part 8 ):

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

I hadn't heard of this until today. It comes out tomorrow.

http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B000IJ7AJ2/ref=s9_asin_image_1/103-1880560-1918200

Featuring

First-ever home video release of this material
Short film The Lamp features David Lynch actually building a lamp while explaining methods
Comic short "Out Yonder" features David Lynch and his son Austin
Short Boatis a dreamy narrative filmed on a private lake in Wisconsin starring David Lynch
Horror short "Darkened Room" features Jordan Ladd and Cerina Vincent of Eli Roth's Cabin Fever

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Trentemoller "Moan"s, Seances With Lynch, Pynchon
Source: Pitchfork Media

What happens when Trentemøller, David Lynch, and Thomas Pynchon get together? They have a seance, apparently. On January 25, Trentemøller provided a live soundtrack to Eyerophany, an abstract David Lynch film.

This event was "a séance without spirits calling for the apparition and the impossible act of seeing with the Mystery Eye," according to the website for the Netmage Festival in Bologna, Italy, where the thing took place. (No, we have no idea what they're talking about either.) And that's not even mentioning the "shortcircuits with Thomas Pynchon" part of the night. We thought that guy never left the house!

Those of us who weren't able to attend the séance of the century can console ourselves with Trentemøller's "Moan", the second single from The Last Resort. The single will come out digitally and in two separate vinyl editions on March 6.

Forgoing the original "Moan", the Danish Music Award-nominated producer remixed the track for these releases. The first 12" features remixes of the vocal version, with Trentemøller's own remix on the A-side and a Radio Slave remix on the flip. The second 12" is instrumental, featuring Trentemøller's dub remix on the A-side and the instrumental version of the Radio Slave remix on the B. Poker Flat will release them both.

Danish director Niels Gråbøl is currently shooting a video for "Moan" on location in Russia and Denmark. It will be available in mid-March.

Trentemøller will be on tour with his live band as well as partner DJ T.O.M. throughout Europe in the coming months. For a preview of the full band experience, check out a video of a live performance of "Moan" below, and get out the Ouija board.

Dates:

02-01 Copenhagen, Denmark - Culture Box *
02-02 Rotterdam, Netherlands - Maassilo
02-03 New York, NY - Larry T's Bank
03-02 Berlin, Germany - 103
03-03 Hamburg, Germany - Übel & Gefährlich
03-17 Bucharest, Romania - Christal Club
03-20 Munich, Germany - P1
03-23 Barcelona, Spain - Loft
04-05 Gijon, Spain - Congress Area
04-08 London, England - Egg
04-20 Harlem, Netherlands - Patronaat

* with Steve Bug

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

New Short Film Absurda Premieres at Cannes
Lynch had a surprise short film for this weeks Cannes Film Festival opening. You can watch it below:

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Quote from: Ghostboy on January 29, 2007, 11:13:57 PMShort film The Lamp features David Lynch actually building a lamp while explaining methods

It was 30 minutes, but I could have watched him building that lamp for 30 hours. Worth watching for Lynch being himself; before he even starts off the process, he must have a cup of coffee; while materials dry, it's the "perfect time for a smoke break."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

New Lynch Short Film for 42 Below
42 Below, the vodka brand from New Zealand is the creative sponsor of One Dream Rush, a very short film festival based in Beijing, China. 42 films from around the world were chosen from a competition in which film makers were given 42 seconds on the dream theme. Below is Lynch's film from the competition.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffin on May 27, 2009, 12:11:52 AM
New Lynch Short Film for 42 Below

ok that was a piece of shit. Lynch needs to shut the hell up big time. link's dead so here's a youtube channel with 8 other 42-second shorts from the same festival, including such freaks as Asia Argento and Kenneth Anger (still alive??).

my favourite, and the only good thing that came out of this otherwise total waste of time, was "Last Day Dream" by Chris Milk, i recommend you watch it and digest it yourself first cos i'm about to talk about it and digest it for you:

Milky, if you didn't know, has directed videos like Kanye's Touch the Sky and Gnarls Barkley's Who's Gonna Save My Soul. here he seems to be the only one who made any effort to come up with something interesting. i love it cos EVERY SHOT WORKS. it's the kind of cool gimmick you'd usually only see used in an exploitative format like a commercial. even the technical details are interesting, he shot it on a Canon 5D Mark II SLR camera, which goes perfectly (and still gimmickily) with the snapshot aesthetic.. but what's impressive here is the rhythm, he makes this kind of easy IDEA look easy to DO.

fact is if you can't tell a story as effectively and concisely as these three shots did, you should either admit you are kevin smith and/or stop making movies:

i also like the title, it has at least 3 possible meanings all of which are satisfied by the film itself. Last Day Dream:

1. it could be the last dream of a life, so the dreamer in this case is the POV in the last shot and each beat - obviously like a heartbeat - is the approach towards his very final moments of life.

2. it's a dream about what it would be like to HAVE a final dream. this makes the dreamer the filmmaker (and us as spectators) who is currently not dying (presumably) and is just imagining what it would be like have a LAST DAY. so it's a dream about a last day.

3. or a combination of the two: the dreamer is still in the story, but it's not the filmmaker or the spectator, it's the person in this shot:

and every shot after it is the idyllic life he never got to live after this accident. this could be supported by the sweetness of everything that follows this shot. the white gown is angelic and it is followed by a repetitive sequence of children (angels) and more serene kind of imagery. even the death of his wife seems to take place after a toast in paradise.. and the waves hitting his feet are just a final incrementation of the recurring lull into death but ALSO a self-contained encapsulation of an eternity already at his feet, he's above death, this makes anything after it a kind of rebirth.. which becomes clear when the final shot is a repetition of the first:

the crash shot occurs almost at the centre of the 23 images that make up the short, so it's definitely a turning point. but the actual middle spot of the short is taken by the image before the crash, which is this:

as Stefen and RK have recently attested, to be emotionally attached to animals is a profound experience, and this quick little shot before the crash packs a lot of information. it's the only non human attachment made in his life, it doesn't show any obvious action to give it any forced emotional response like the grasping of his thumb by the tiny baby finger, or the unveiling of his wife, or the smile of the kid on the swings.. it's just a dog standing at attention and looking loyally at him.

it would be a really interesting exercise to see how other filmmakers could put a life in 42 seconds, this isn't the only way, but at least it has a self-contained logic and rewards at least one rewatching. the other filmmakers seem to have only showed what it's like to put 42 seconds of thought into a film and pass it off as "something".
under the paving stones.

Stefen

It's beautiful and perfect and so simple it makes you wonder why nobody else has ever done it that well.

To me it's your life flashing before your eyes and broken down into the most meaningful moments, good and bad. In that last moment, something so minute and at the time, meaningless, may end up being one of your most cherished memories.

The best part is how it gets faster at the end. That's exactly how life is. I don't think anyone here can deny how the older you get, the faster your life happens.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

picolas

thanks p. i love the car crash theory. if they cut to it twice i would buy it as intentional.

a life in 42 seconds... sounds like a much better xixax contest than that other one.

edit: watching it a second time you are right. those scenes are idillic in an otherworldy sense.. however i propose a COUNTER THEORY: the moments after the car crash are simply taking place in the future, where everything is shinier/better. because his parents seem to be from the 70s based solely on those sunglasses. if not present day. so he could very well be dying in 2050+

modage

I love this too.  My theory is that the car crash forces him to grow up and re-evauluate his life.  Prior to the crash he's chasing girls, drinking, etc., his only attachment comes right before the crash when his dog looks at him.  After the crash he gets serious about his life, gets married, has kids, and then it's over.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.