Lynch's short films

Started by Pastor Parsley, November 06, 2003, 11:51:32 AM

Pastor Parsley

I got home late last night, after a long day, to find a box sitting on my doorstep marked Davidlynch.com.  YES!  The short films dvd I ordered was here.  

There are six shorts plus a tv calibration program included on the dvd.  Before each short, lynch talks about how each film came to be.  The first film is Six Men Getting Sick, followed by The Alphabet, The Grandmother, The Amputee, The Cowboy and the Frenchman, and his Lumiere bit.

I had seen Six Men and Lumiere before.  Six Men is kinda cool, but it's only about 10 seconds long.  Lumiere is probably one of my favorites from the dvd it's about 20 seconds long.  The alphabet is good , I really liked it, it's pretty short too, at 4 minutes.  The Grandmother is fairly long (30 mins)and is very cool and trippy.  The Amputee is about 5 minutes..it's kinda funny but not great.  The Cowboy and the Frenchman is another long one (25 min), it was really funny and entertaining, but not one I'd watch too many times.

Although I'll definitely watch them all a bunch of times, the ones that are really worth watching over and over are The Alphabet, The Grandmother, and Lumiere.  At 34 minutes for these three favorites of mine, $40 is pretty steep.

Would I buy it again after seeing them all?  Definitely.  In my opinion, it's not worth $40, but I love all of Lynch's stuff and there isn't much (well never enough...anyway) material out there by him.  So if you really love his work....you gotta get this one.  If he's not one of your favorite filmmakers...it's probably not for you.

There's also a booth and phone number hidden on the dvd as well.

phil marlowe

the alphabet is so fucking great, it gives me the creeps everytime. the amputee was just weird  just like that darkened room short he did, that was so fucked up too.

Newtron

Quote from: phil marlowethe amputee was just weird .
Well wasn't it just to try out those 2 types of tape stock? I thought that bit was just about wasting tape.

The Alphabet is definitely the best, creepy shit. The Grandmother is interesting and the animation is really great, the way he shows the insemination and all that. The Lumiere bit didn't make any sense, it was like he ran out of film just as he was about to do something, and wasn't there like 5 seconds of nothing in the middle of it? Pretty crappy. Six Men Getting Sick was longer than 10 seconds, at least it felt that way. The Cowboy and the Frenchman is hilarious, isn't it weird that Harry Dean Stanton was in this and in Paris, Texas? 'Cause of the juxtaposition, it's funny to me.

Anyway, I saw all these shorts with an audience of supposed film afficionados and I was the only one not asleep by the end of it. Maybe he'd do better with those internet shorts, Rabbits and what not.

phil marlowe

Quote from: NewtronThe Alphabet is definitely the best, creepy shit. The Grandmother is interesting and the animation is really great, the way he shows the insemination and all that. The Lumiere bit didn't make any sense, it was like he ran out of film just as he was about to do something, and wasn't there like 5 seconds of nothing in the middle of it? Pretty crappy. Six Men Getting Sick was longer than 10 seconds, at least it felt that way. The Cowboy and the Frenchman is hilarious, isn't it weird that Harry Dean Stanton was in this and in Paris, Texas? 'Cause of the juxtaposition, it's funny to me.
i don't really remember much of the comboy and the frenchman and the lumiere thing cos i was really high and really wasted when i saw this. by the fifth or so repeatiation of the six men getting sick animation i thought i wouldn't be able to sit through it all and by the alphabet i thought i was gonna die. in a nice way though.

Pastor Parsley

Quote from: NewtronSix Men Getting Sick was longer than 10 seconds, at least it felt that way.

Yeah, it's 10 seconds repeated 6 times, The full title is 'Six Men Getting Sick (Six Times)'

Quote from: NewtronWell wasn't it just to try out those 2 types of tape stock? I thought that bit was just about wasting tape.

Lynch says in the intro that one of his film professors was supposed to test two types of video stock. He was in the middle of filming Eraserhead and had run out of money and was depressed because he had to put it on hold.  He asked if he could test the tape and wrote up a bit that night and filmed it the next day.  It's pretty much, like you said, just using up the tape...not an impressive film.  It is kinda funny and a little gross.  He's snipping off the bandages on her newly amputated legs and it begins squirting pus everywhere like some Monty Python gag.  The whole time she doesn't even notice, totally engrossed in the letter that she's writing.  It was particularly gross because I was eating warm oatmeal at the time.  Pus and oatmeal just don't mix. :?

bonanzataz

Quote from: Pastor ParsleyPus and oatmeal just don't mix. :?

SURE they do!
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

NEON MERCURY

damn that's phucking  wicked.... :yabbse-thumbup:

i havrn't seen eraserhead yet...... :(

bonanzataz

for everything that's good and holy, neon, go out and DO IT NOW! spend the $40 if you have to. that's what i did, and it was worth every penny.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

NEON MERCURY

..your right ..

It's just the ordering online thing though.....

when (years back) i heard that lynch was launching  new dvd for eraserhead
i though it would be avialable through stores (like Best Buy) just like his new Special edition of Blue Velvet. (which BTW phucking rockss!).....bu tonce it was released in (early feb. ) I found out it was only through HIS website that you can get it......

suckss.. but i need to get it.....[online it is... i guess :? ]

Pastor Parsley

Quote from: NEON MERCURY
It's just the ordering online thing though.....

What don't you like about ordering online?

NEON MERCURY

..just the accuracy.. I have heard many horror stories(i.e. long waits,not gettign the right thing, $$$$ lost during transaction)...

I feel more comfortable going to a store and knowing that I can get it right here right now.  .....i guess it may seem a little crazy though.......especially since  UNFORTUNATELY its the only way i can get Eraserhead....

bonanzataz

just wanted to make sure you guys are aware that i'm awesome. eraserhead has no chapter stops, it took me forever to get that screencap. i'd do anything to make a killer post on the xax, though!

MacGuffin

Just wanted to make sure you guys know how awesome I am in finding a similar photo much faster:

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

bonanzataz

yeah, but your photo is poopy quality and doesn't have the oatmeal and the blood. so HA!

Lucinda Bryte

Can you order stuff from Lynch's site if you aren't a member?

I think that was the dumbest question I've ever asked. And yes you can. I ignored my impatience and figured out how to get into the store. You click store.

Thank you.