hereditary

Started by samsong, June 11, 2018, 03:05:02 AM

Gold Trumpet

Yea, I'm with Alexandro. Best film of the year so far for me.

Alethia

Certainly in my top five of the year. Would like to watch this again on a small screen though and see how it plays. Both times I saw it in jam-packed theaters with fairly receptive audiences and it was hard to not be taken by the collective energy.

Something Spanish

finally saw this on blu. creepy, well made horror. can't say the experience was as jubilant as some of the posts here claim, don't think the 127-minute run time is warranted, but a good flick nonetheless. it's a lot of buildup in the second act for a payoff that felt slightly short changed. the familial psychological warfare was the most interesting stuff, in addition to all three female performances, it's just too bad gabriel byrne's character was undercut as a result to fit the concerned patriarchal stereotype. other than the absence of any law enforcement for some of the events, i wasn't too big on how the understanding of the entire plot hinged on a few flashes of pages in a book. miss those few seconds and by the time the end comes you're completely fucked. i can see where comparisons with the witch come in to play, i think this one is heavier on the horror and not bogged in outdated language. don't think seeing it in a theatre would have made a difference, was freaked out enough alone in a dark room.