Sorry To Bother You

Started by Kal, March 20, 2018, 11:31:15 PM

WorldForgot

The soundtrack dropped! Just as WAVEY as the flick ~

LEVEL IT UP!

modage

I'm glad a movie this ambitious, singular and weird can still get a wide release and have people see and talk about it. Love Tessa Thompson in everything, normally really like Lakeith but felt like his performance needed something here. I lost the emotional thread on the story pretty early and agree that it didn't quite work for me. I'm glad it exists, just felt like Boots was aiming for Putney Swope/Network by Jonze/Gondry but not sure the talent is there yet.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: wilberfan on July 18, 2018, 02:52:12 PMthe terrible syncing of the 'white voices'.  That's the central conceit of the film, and you can't get it dubbed any better than that?

I also could not get past this problem. Poorly synced sound is one of my pet peeves, and it was uniformly awful in this movie. Really a shame.

But in the end I have to admit I really enjoyed the film. I agree the pacing leaves much to be desired — the last act could have been super intense with tighter editing — but it sort of works as a reflection of things being uneasy and out of balance in the film's universe.

As I've been hearing more and more complaints about the movie going "off the rails," I've just had a feeling that part was going to work for me. And it did.

raptoroblivion

Definitely not a perfect film, but it's also not trying to be. It just wants you to get its message (Capitalism must end) and have some fun receiving it.

Saw the film in August at Arclight Hollywood with seven of my friends. Late night, normal screening; we thought we'd be the only audience members but Lakeith Stanfield was there as well, cracking up at his own line delivery. Spoke to him afterwards: he gave us each a hug and said, "Glad you guys are weirdos and liked the film."