Bad Santa

Started by ShanghaiOrange, April 20, 2003, 10:07:02 PM

SoNowThen

Hahahaha, Disney's "image". Wasn't old Walt a nazi sympathizer or something?

This movie looks like a good afternoon watch for a laugh or two. I'm gonna go see it, if it gets any release here.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

what i cant understand is, how did disney read the script, agree to fund the movie, watch dailies, see the finished cut, pay all this money for the marketing, and decide 2 weeks before its release they were concerned about all this stuff?  its not like it snuck up on them.  why dont they just not make movies they have a problem with, and let another studio have them.  i didnt realize bad santa was disney, but it cant be worse than The Santa Clause 2.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

pinkerton310

Bad Santa is a Disney movie?  I didn't think they made "R" rated films. Somebody in the front office apparently wasn't paying attention (i.e. Michael Eisner) Remember him from the Wonderful World of Disney on Sunday nights when you were a kid? He did the introduction to all the movies. Sorry, just had a flashback from my youth. He must be retarded to have not realized what kind of film was being made.
They say we all lose 21 grams at the exact moment of our death... everyone. The weight of a stack of nickels. The weight of a chocolate bar. The weight of a hummingbird...

Finn

Just opened yesterday...anybody seen it?
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

cinemanarchist

Sweet Jews for Jesus that was one funny movie! I haven't laughed that hard during a film in quite some time. This was like the film to piss on the boots of all the other christmas films ever made. Thornton is so nasty and so unlikeable...but so freaking hillarious. It is sort of a one note premise, but just when you think they have sucked that one note dry, they come in with something even more disturbing and you just have to love it. Please go check this out now...it truly is a wonder any studio would fund a christmas movie like this, but it's truly a blessing they did. So I leave you with some wisdom from Bad Santa.......Shit Happens...When You Party Naked.    And that, my friends, is just the kind of film that it is.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

Kev Hoffman

Nothing like Bad Santa to put you into the holiday spirit.  Saw it last night, and it's wonderfully funny, dark, and mean-spirited.  Loved every minute of it.

Ernie

Just saw it and loved it! It wasn't really what I expected in a good way. It was like the anti-Elf movie that I expected it to be but then I automatically thought it was going to be trying to hard...like pulling a muscle to be controversial or whatever...being that R rated christmas movie that everybody hates to love. I'm glad it wasn't like that. It was much better than that, much smarter. It was unsentimental as can be with tons of funny parts...and there were even parts that were pretty damn heartwarming if you ask me, some of the most oddly moving stuff I've seen. I really liked it, cool movie. John Ritter went out with the first good movie I've seen him in since Problem Child 2 and that makes me happy, he didn't just go out with some throaway piece of trash...this is something different.

Weak2ndAct

Definitely was the Anti-Elf.  What a wonderfully profane movie.  It's no masterpiece of cinema, but damn if I wasn't howling at several scenes.  I was kind of surprised/amused at how many kids were in the theatre-- the parents obviously having no idea what they were getting into.

And ebeaman:
Ritter was in Sling Blade, which I think was much better than PC2.  He was friends w/ Thornton since they both were on the crappy sitcome 'Hearts Afire'.  And 'Panic' is worth checking out too.

Finn

I really loved it too! Terry Zwigoff is brilliant! I loved the way it opens with the piano music (which I think was also used in Waking Life) and we see him at the bar. But it opened on such a down-beat note that I was kinda afraid that the movie would be too depressing to be funny. But they pulled it off. I also loved the fact that they used the theme from Eyes Wide Shut later on. Billy Bob Thorton is just so funny with his dead-pan deliveries. But as the movie went on, I began to care about him more (which is a good thing). Only complaint : could have had a better ending.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

MacGuffin

My God I haven't laughed this much with a movie in a long time. If you laugh at the PG commercials, wait till you see/hear the complete uncensored lines of dialogue. Billy Bob was brilliant. He was perfect at spouting out the foul language with just right amount of attitude. Watching him with the kids, asking them what they wanted, was priceless. The main little boy was pure innocence, and the relationship between the two was funny, yet touching. I felt more Christmas sweetness and caring in this film than I did in "Elf".
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Quote from: MacGuffinMy God I haven't laughed this much with a movie in a long time. I felt more Christmas sweetness and caring in this film than I did in "Elf".

good.  i'm simultaneously dreading/looking forward to seeing this from the awful reviews/previews and the great people who made it.  ill probably go see it next weekend.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

abuck1220

i was disappointed in this one. as a regular studio film it wasn't bad, but i was looking for something a little more from zwigoff, a director who i am really excited about.

everyone talks about how crude and ruthless it was, but i guess i didn't see it that way. there was still quite a bit "spirit of christmas" stuff in it too...not as much as in elf, but more than i expected. and what's w/ the recycled music? and not just from christmas movies...music from eyes wide shut was in it. what the f was up with that?

Ghostboy

But it wasn't like it was original score from Eyes Wide Shut or anything. That was a pretty well known classical piece.

Anyway, I loved this movie. A lot. Just enough Christmas spirit to keep it from being TOO mean, but damn if it didn't pull any punches. Effin' brilliant. That wooden pickle and singing walnut...jesus christ.

abuck1220

the "going to the bathroom on mom's dishes" line was pretty damn hilarious as well.

©brad

wow, it's that funny eh? might have to check it out.