attack the block

Started by pete, April 12, 2011, 01:55:07 PM

pete

trailer

produced by edgar wright. it's a comedy about inner city kids fighting off space aliens.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

RegularKarate

Everyone at South by Southwest was going apeshit about this movie.  I probably spent a total of 3 hours in lines trying (but failing) to get into this.
I've heard good things.

modage

I really want to see this. Austin and LA got screenings. NYC = shit out of luck.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

I flipped out over this, just like everyone else. Hopefully the hype doesn't turn it into something bigger than it is - because it really IS that good, but you know how hype works.

matt35mm

Quote from: RegularKarate on April 12, 2011, 02:20:06 PM
Everyone at South by Southwest was going apeshit about this movie.  I probably spent a total of 3 hours in lines trying (but failing) to get into this.
I've heard good things.

Yup, this was the only movie that I couldn't get into, but I didn't really expect that I would get in anyway. Looking forward to seeing it.

pete

just came back from it. I really enjoyed the characterization of the kids - they felt like hood rats - aggressive, impulsive, brash, insecure...etc., broad strokes but accurate strokes too. I was glad it wasn't just hardy boys in different uniforms. soundtrack was cool.
the action sequences suffered from Hellboy syndrome; they felt repetitive as they'd been fighting the same creature (mostly off-camera?!) for the entire movie, and the ending really wasn't any more exciting or thrilling than the beginning. they did a lot of cutaways to save money, one of the biggest explosions in the film happened fucking off screen. kinda not acceptable for a scifi horror action film.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SiliasRuby

It suffered a little from broad strokes of the characters but they were accurate enough to keep me stimulated. Kind of a let down and the hype killed this picture which is too bad because its just okay. But overall, Bleh.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

RegularKarate

What has happened to Silias' serotonin levels that he is giving all these good movies bad reviews?  He used to go ape-shit over car commercials and puppy videos on Youtube.

Pubrick

Haha I don't know about the other movies but here he is just blatantly plagiarising what other people have said in this thread.. except where he gave it a "bleh", he probably stole that from somewhere else.

The rest, though:

Quote from: SiliasRuby on May 27, 2012, 04:36:14 PM
suffered a little from broad strokes of the characters but they were accurate enough

Was taken straight out of Pete's review:

Quote from: pete on June 11, 2011, 04:00:25 AM
the characterization of the kids [...] broad strokes but accurate strokes too.

Actually the "bleh" might come from the rest of Pete's post where he doesn't sound too enthusiastic about the action sequences and the film's ending. But most likely Silias was just fulfilling ghostboys comments about hype:

Quote from: Ghostboy on April 12, 2011, 02:47:35 PM
Hopefully the hype doesn't turn it into something bigger than it is

Watch how Silias inversely copies ghostboy's comment:

Quote from: SiliasRuby on May 27, 2012, 04:36:14 PM
Kind of a let down and the hype killed this picture

Can no one else see this?
under the paving stones.

RegularKarate

Inspector Pubrick solves another one.

Maybe Silias CAN'T give bad reviews so he has to paste them together out of other reviews so that people will stop accusing him of loving everything.

polkablues

Holy crap, he's Keyser Soze.
My house, my rules, my coffee