The best album I've heard all year....

Started by -dazza-, April 23, 2003, 09:22:21 AM

RegularKarate

There There has already  hit the radio and it sounded almost exactly as the premastered version, so I'm assuming the album won't be all that different from the leaked version (which is amazing)

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: RegularKarateThere There has already  hit the radio and it sounded almost exactly as the premastered version, so I'm assuming the album won't be all that different from the leaked version (which is amazing)

I don't know. The more I listen to HTTT, the more I dislike the sound quality. There are a lot of tracks that could sound much better, like Punch-Up and Sit Down Stand Up. But some tracks like I Will can't get much better.

cowboykurtis

i hate EMO garbage -- whenever i hear it, i think of dean martin splashing a dry martini in the face some little pouty whiny emo rocker--just thought i'd share that with you.
...your excuses are your own...

European Son

Quote from: cowboykurtisi hate EMO garbage -- whenever i hear it, i think of dean martin splashing a dry martini in the face some little pouty whiny emo rocker--just thought i'd share that with you.
I would pay a lot of money to see Dean Martin invade some EMO band concert. The comedy meter would explode.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: European Son
Quote from: cowboykurtisi hate EMO garbage -- whenever i hear it, i think of dean martin splashing a dry martini in the face some little pouty whiny emo rocker--just thought i'd share that with you.
I would pay a lot of money to see Dean Martin invade some EMO band concert. The comedy meter would explode.

imagine sammy davis jr. kicking some emo rocker in the shin, with a shiny pair of hush puppies -- im pretty sure id laugh.
...your excuses are your own...

RegularKarate

I hate the term EMO... short for emotional... real swift... music should always be emotional... what the fuck?

I would never say "I listen to Emo"... I didn't even really know what it was until a year or two ago (and I still couldn't tell you what it was without just saying it's what alternative music calls itself now).... how long has that term been around and who's fucking idea was it?

I also think saying that you hate Emo is kind of unfair to a lot of bands who may be grouped into that category just because a large majority of their fans dress a certain way.

Sleuth

Quote from: RegularKarateI hate the term EMO... short for emotional... real swift... music should always be emotional... what the fuck?

I would never say "I listen to Emo"... I didn't even really know what it was until a year or two ago (and I still couldn't tell you what it was without just saying it's what alternative music calls itself now).... how long has that term been around and who's fucking idea was it?

I also think saying that you hate Emo is kind of unfair to a lot of bands who may be grouped into that category just because a large majority of their fans dress a certain way.

Agree 100%
I like to hug dogs

European Son

Quote from: RegularKarateI also think saying that you hate Emo is kind of unfair to a lot of bands who may be grouped into that category just because a large majority of their fans dress a certain way.
It's easy to group emo into one big cliche. All I know is that I hate the section of emo that is like that clip from the commercial for the Dashboard Confessional unplugged album I saw. All of these whiny sounding kids were sitting around chanting along to that pathetic Chris Cawhatshisname singing. It was horrifying. I could not believe my eyes and ears. Those kids will end up just like those who were older than 12 and into New Kids On The Block - eventually totally embarrassed that they were into such garbage.

Pubrick

Quote from: RegularKarateThere There has already  hit the radio and it sounded almost exactly as the premastered version
not even, duuk. the premastered version is heaps slower and has about 3 instruments and sounds like it was recorded in a suitcase. the real version is dope tho.
under the paving stones.

RegularKarate

Quote from: RegularKarateThere There has already  hit the radio and it sounded almost exactly as the premastered version
Quote from: _|P|_
not even, duuk. the premastered version is heaps slower and has about 3 instruments and sounds like it was recorded in a suitcase. the real version is dope tho.

well, I was listening to it in my car, which is noisy, so I may be wrong, but I didn't notice any real difference... I'm sure once I hear the whole album  though...

and thanks for the tip on The Notwist, from what I've downloaded, they sound like something I could really get into.

©brad

Quote from: RegularKarateI hate the term EMO... short for emotional... real swift... music should always be emotional... what the fuck?

the emo thing is kinda new to me too. heard some english chicks talking about it. what kind of music is it exactly?

godardian

... my favorites this year so far are:

1. Black Box Recorders's brilliant Passionoia.

2. White Stripes.

3. Blur.

4. The Coral.

...and I am fed up with Radiohead's self-indulgence. Sonic Youth have been pushing that thing forward for years; it's demeaning for a perfectly good band to feel they have to try to play catch-up with something they're clearly not very good at.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

RegularKarate

What are you going on about?

and welcome

phil marlowe

i believe emo is original a short way of saying emocore and that it as a genre is an outburst from the hardcore punk genre. just working as a kind of oposite related genre to hardcore, and has music videos, catchy choruses and takes no distance to being comercial. a perfect musical exsample of all this is glassjaw.

after that, i guess its evolved into being everything malternative melodic rock.

godardian

Thanks for the welcome.

What am I going on about...? I'm not sure I understand the question, but I'll try:

I used to really love Radiohead. After The Bends, I would've told you that I'd wait in line to buy any new album of theirs. Then came OK Computer, which I found... merely OK (sorry, couldn't think of anything wittier). But after Kid A, I refused to buy anything else. Why? Let's just say I think Johnny Rotten trampling around the streets of London in '75 with an "I Hate Pink Floyd" t-shirt was more interesting than anything Pink Floyd ever did.

I have a saying (to which I unfortunately owe that silly "don't trust anyone over 30" nonsense): Don't trust any so-called pop song over 3 minutes. You're likely to end up with a lot of self-indulgent noodling and a depressing dearth of style or personality.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.