At The Drive-In

Started by AntiDumbFrogQuestion, December 15, 2003, 12:10:07 AM

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

I saw the thread for Mars Volta, but I know people love ATDI more than either them or Sparta in my experience.
I just picked up 'Relationship of Command' over Thanksgiving break and can't get enough of it! The fact that I know the band broke up gives me new ears, and I can feel the musical ideas trying to rip apart each other but somehow they still come together and create one big, beautiful mess that gives you something to ponder and hum simultaneously.
As for using it as fodder to feed your screenplay engine, I personally think alot of the energy of the band is best contained in ForEarsOnly format, although rock bands like this inspire me to want to make a piece of art that can just exist as perfectly as what they have created.
Great, now I gotta change my AVATAR before I look like too much of a fan-boy.
That's alot o' car-waxin' now. Gotta get to bed cuz my typing is keeping my sick roommate up.

russiasusha

yeah, they were a great band.  Even though i was late to the atdi game, i knew it was ending.  You could hear it in relationship of command.

Viva The Mars Volta!!!!!!
Guess that means i'm back on zigzag!
Movies before 1930 suck

The Idiot

I really really enjoy ATDI and also The Mars Volta. Very difficult to decide which is better.
It is said that evil men have no songs. Why is it, then, that the Russians sing songs?

-Friederich Nietchze

Stefen

Quote from: The IdiotI really really enjoy ATDI and also The Mars Volta. Very difficult to decide which is better.

I like them both for certain aspects. ATDI I like for the ferocity that they bring when you blast them. Deloused on the other hand is an album I can throw on while im drawing or writing.........or reading the liner notes for an ATDI album.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

socketlevel

volta is better, nice fusion of prog and emo.  nothing like it out there.  i love atdi but they lack the depth of volta.

-sl-
the one last hit that spent you...

smash

I'm going to buy an ATDI album, but I'm unsure on which to start with.  Suggestions?

Stefen

Quote from: smashI'm going to buy an ATDI album, but I'm unsure on which to start with.  Suggestions?

Relationship Of Command gets my vote. Great album.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

russiasusha

Quotesmash wrote:
I'm going to buy an ATDI album, but I'm unsure on which to start with. Suggestions?

Relationship Of Command gets my vote. Great album.

Agreed, it's their best.
Guess that means i'm back on zigzag!
Movies before 1930 suck