It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia

Started by Weird. Oh, July 24, 2006, 01:45:08 AM

Weird. Oh

Anyone catch this show? I downloaded the first season and what's been running of the second season and I gotta say it's pretty funny. It sorta has the misanthropic feel of Curb and the awkward situations.   I'm pretty sure it airs on FX but they have a lot of cursing which surprised me. My description probably isn't doing the show justice but I'd advise to check it out. It's pretty damn funny.
The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.

Gold Trumpet

I've seen a few episodes before and I watched another tonight. I understand the Curb Your Enthusiam comparison, but it was so over the top I kept thinking of Malcom in the Middle instead. The difference is that those shows are driven by actual scrutinizing comedy. Always Sunny in Philidelphia feels too random with its jokes to be good comedy.

polkablues

I love this show.  Unabashedly.  In a typical comedy, even something like Curb or Arrested Development, they really do want us to like the main characters, but in this, they really don't.  They're quite horrible people, so when bad things happen to them, we can find it hilarious. 

My favorite episodes are the underage drinking episode and the "Gun Fever" episode from season one, along with the "Mac Bangs Dennis' Mom" episode from the current season.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Sunrise

Quote from: polkablues on July 24, 2006, 02:42:21 AMThey're quite horrible people, so when bad things happen to them, we can find it hilarious.

You said it right there. I also find this show hilarious. They just replayed the abortion episode from the 1st season and it was great. A little heavy-handed at the end with Dennis literally sitting on the fence and getting egged from both sides, but funny nonetheless. FX has a nice streak going with The Shield (previously), Rescue Me, Nip/Tuck and Always Sunny.

pete

one of my pet peeves in comedy is when actors stutter for their lines (improv or written) and 'cause they think that's a realistic reaction when outraged or incredulous.  it's really annoying.  Jason Biggs kinda ruined Anything Else with a lot of that.  Amatuer student actors and movies have a lot of that.  And guess what, so does this show.  Hearing cusswords on TV/ youtube is fun though, but they shouldn't be punctuated by that calibre of comedy.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

"It's Always Sunny In Paedophilia"  :yabbse-smiley:
context, context, context.

Sunrise

polkablues

Pubrick

Quote from: polkablues on July 26, 2006, 07:02:25 PM
With the exception of Nip/Tuck, you've lost your fucking mind.
nip/tuck is the only show on that list that is at least aware of its shitness and revels in it to an extent. it's alrite, the rest are definitely poo.
under the paving stones.

Fernando

You've seen The Shield P? I think it's a good to great show.

Nip/tuck OTOH was alright on its first season, second was utterly crap, the show has no replay value whatsoever.

polkablues

Quote from: Fernando on July 27, 2006, 01:55:11 PM
Nip/tuck OTOH was alright on its first season, second was utterly crap, the show has no replay value whatsoever.

Exactly... it started out over-the-top and fun, but it quickly became over-the-top and dumb.  The Shield is a very solid show, and Rescue Me is probably one of the top five drama series on TV right now.

Pubrick

Quote from: Fernando on July 27, 2006, 01:55:11 PM
You've seen The Shield P? I think it's a good to great show.

yeah the shield was boring. and i gotta admit i've only seen the first season of nip/tuck. and i thought rescue me was finished now.
under the paving stones.

polkablues

Quote from: Pubrick on July 28, 2006, 11:31:05 AM
and i thought rescue me was finished now.

Here in the States, Rescue Me is currently midway through its third season.  Not as good as last season, but still better than most TV.

Stefen

This show is fucking tits, man. I had heard alot of good things but for some reason thought it was some meathead show about people who work at a news station. I got it confused with some other show for some reason.

I watched all episodes recently, and yeah, it's a meathead show, but it's still fucking funny.

It's no 30 Rock, but it's still funnier than most shit on TV these days.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.