12 Years A Slave

Started by MacGuffin, July 15, 2013, 07:16:26 PM

Reel

It's funny how QT and Brad Pitt ruined these slave movies because they can't pull off an accent.

Lottery

QT is entertaining because he's so horrible but Pitt, just out of nowhere- and for what?

Still a fantastic poster though.

morrissey

This poster summarize contemporary Italian culture better than any essay, documentary or movie I've encountered.

You want to know about Italy? Don't watch "The Great Beauty", just gaze at this thing and let the feelings inside you.
There is something so idiotic about selling this movie putting the handsome white guy on the poster that perfectly represents my country.

And if you're wondering, yes, there was a minor uproar on the press about this, but nothing significant.
I see this poster in Rome wherever I go.

wait what? lol. that's an actual poster?! it was so hilarious i didnt even bother to research it. amazing.

morrissey

I went to the supermarket earlier and I saw they just replaced the billboards with the official international poster, because of this:

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/italys-12-years-a-slave-poster-favors-brad-pitt-over-black-star-1200990875/

But I guess you get the picture  :)

Alexandro

mainly agree with Pubrick on this.
Liked the film, but it felt more like a series of shocking scenes, and it just wasn't very memorable.
Hunger is still the best film McQueen has done in my opinion. The minimalist approach in that film ended up putting me in the middle of the conflict and communicated more clearly the spiritual plight of the protagonist.

Also, the "love hate" thing between the psychotic dominant and the slave woman was done with much more richness in Schindler's List.

MacGuffin

Ill-Conceived '12 Years a Slave' Promo Mannequin Prompts Apology by UK Supermarket
Mannequin was dressed in ragged clothing similar to those worn by Chiwetel Ejiofor in his portrayal of Solomon Northup in the Oscar-Winning film
Source: TheWrap

A British supermarket store was forced to apologize over a "12 Years a Slave" display with a mannequin dressed to look like protagonist Solomon Northup.

The mannequin was wearing a torn shirt and pants, similar to the clothing worn by Chiwetel Ejiofor in his portrayal of Northup. There was even a twig sticking out of the mannequin's pants pocket at a Sainsbury's branch in Oxford. Bright stickers to promote the movie's DVD and Blu-ray release were all over the display, including the mannequin.

The display has since been removed and the store issued an apology. "We can only apologise," Sainsbury's said in a statement. "It's been taken down from the Heyford Hill store and clearly should never have gone up in the first place."

Sainsbury's is the second largest supermarket chain in the U.K. The display started gaining attention after a shopper took a picture of the unusual marketing and posted it to Twitter.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Lottery

SailorOfTheSeas

Ahahaha, that's where i live

Jeremy Blackman

There's clearly room on the right for a clothing rack. Wasted opportunity.