JVC HD Cyber Cam

Started by metroshane, September 26, 2003, 09:37:44 AM

metroshane

Anyone have any experience with this?
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

Ghostboy

I haven't, but from what I've read, I don't want to.

metroshane

We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

aclockworkjj

is this like the top of the line for naked webcam dancin'??

Ghostboy

Quote from: aclockworkjjis this like the top of the line for naked webcam dancin'??

Basically, yes.

First of all, it's a one chip camera. What's the point of getting HD quality video with only one chip? I just don't understand. Second, you're only going to be able to watch it uncompressed if you have a big HD tv. Reports from NAB complained that the compressed footage didn't look much better than hi8 video.

Basically, the camera is for rich folks who want to show off their home videos on their big HD tvs and don't really know the first thing about image quality.

Ravi

OTOH you could always get the Thomson Viper camera:

http://www.thomsongrassvalley.com/products/cameras/viper/

Our Viper FilmStreamâ„¢ Camera has no equal. With three 9.2-million pixel Frame Transfer CCDs, it delivers an RGB 4:4:4 10-bit log output which has not been compromised by electronic camera signal processing. When your digital cinematography project demands the highest quality, this compact and versatile camera is the only one to use.

Key Features

Captures raw data directly from CCDs

Unique 4:4:4 RGB Dual Link FilmStream output

Native 16:9 or 2.37:1 aspect ratios without resolution loss using Dynamic

Pixel Managementâ„¢ technology

Patented Frame Transfer (FT) CCD technology

Mechanical shutter guarantees no vertical smear

Multiple format support:

1080p @ 23.98-, 24-, 25-, and 29.97 frames per second (fps)

1080i @ 50 and 59.94 Hz

720p @ 23.98-, 24-, 25-, 29.97-, 50-, and 59.94 fps

Electronic viewfinder focus assist tools: crawler and zoom

Ghostboy

Man...that thing sounds pretty impressive, but can you imagine how much storage space you'd need? It seems cost prohibitive.

The JVC HDcam is in the same price range as the XL-1 or DVX100.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: Ravithe Thomson Viper camera:
that thing looks and seems sweet...but what the fuck would you use it for?...Sorry, if that is a dumb question...but in laman's terms...where would I use something like this?  And for what?  just curious more than anything.

mutinyco

You'd use it for a professional shoot. That wasn't a consumer model. I hear the problem with the JVC HD is that you can only really tell the difference if you're watching it on an HD set. On a regular TV it just looks like an ordinary digital image. But I was playing with one and the picture quality on the LCD screen was almost too sharp for the monitor. Dunno. I'd probably still go with the Panasonic for now. But if they came out with an HD at 24 fps that might change things...
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

ReelHotGames

I actually met a guy who was using this camera today so I got a trest run on it. Eh. Nice, but for the price I think the SOny VX2000 is a better all over camera. Though its not HD, the JVC is a one chip HD as stated, so it's nice, but overall. Eh..
"Body Count Cinema the Customizable Card Game"
A cinematic CCG coming to a coffee table near you!
www.reelhotgames.com/BodyCountCinema_Home.htm

aclockworkjj

so all this these are are just HD cameras???  I know what that is...so, I apologize for being the moron of the thread.

...but when I hear "cyber cam" it's got someone's naked ass written all over it, like that of a cheap webcam.  Ewww, maybe a bad idea...I don't wanna see some booty (that would normally look sweet) in "HD clear butt pimple and stretch mark vision".