Upcoming Releases

Started by MacGuffin, January 08, 2003, 07:13:19 PM

MacGuffin

Buena Vista has also just announced the full specs for Krzysztof Kieslowski's epic trilogy Red, White and Blue, due in stores on March 4th. This three-disc set featuers plenty of extras. On Blue: an audio commentary by film scholar Annette Insdorf and selected scene commentary with producer Marin Karmitz, actress Juliette Binoche and film editor Jacques Witta, the featurettes "Reflections On Bleu," "A Discussion On Kieslowski's Early Years," "A Conversation With Juliette Binoche on Kieslowski" and "Krzysztof Kieslowski: Cinema Lesson;" on White: an audio commentary by film scholar Jacques Witta and selected scene commentary with producer Marin Karmitz, actress Julie Delpy, and film editor Jacques Witta, the featurettes "A Look At Blanc," "A Discussion On Kieslowski's Later Years,", "A Conversation With Julie Delpy On Kieslowski," "Krzysztof Kieslowski's Cinema Lesson" and "Behind The Scenes Of White With Krzysztof Kieslowski;" and on Red: an audio commentary by film scholar Annette Insdorf and selected scene commentary with producer Marin Karmitz, actress Irene Jacob, and film editor Jacques Witta, the featurettes "Insights Int Troi Coleurs: Rouge," "A Discussion On Working With Kieslowski," "A Conversation With Irene Jacob On Kieslowski," "Krzysztof Kieslowski's Cinema Lesson," "Behind The Scenes With Kryzsztof Kieslowski" and "Red At Cannes 1994." All three films feaurete multiple theatrical trailers, and retail is $39.95.

With the "rebirth" of the modern musical by way of Moulin Rouge! and now Chicago, how fitting that MGM will finally release an extensive collector's edition of the Robert Wise classic West Side Story? Winner of multiple Academy Awards, this favorite comes to DVD in one very impressive box set on April 1st. This two-disc edition includes the feature film on disc one (which you can play with or without intermission) in a new anamorphic widescreen transfer and Dolby digital 5.1 surround track (additional French and Spanish 2.0 stereo tracks and English, French and Spanish subtitles are also included). Disc two features the one-hour retrospective documentary "West Side Memories," plus the original film intermission music restored and remixed in 5.1, a storyboard to film comparison, and a film archive featuring rare and never-before seen materials. This box set will also include a Collectible Scrapbook with the complete copy of the working script, a reproduction of the lobby brochure, and collectible packaging. Retail is $39.95 for the set, and as of now there is no announcement of the two-disc set being made available separately without the scrapbook.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

zerocool41

thanks for the info...can't wait to get it
I'm going to lay down a monster hand here.

Satcho9

Dont Forget the Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas Criterion. Thank God for that one..

GodDamnImDaMan

Im not gonna be happy until i see a fucking Airborne DVD!!!!!!!!!!!
Aclockworkjj:  I have like broncitious or something
Aclockworkjj:  sucks, when i cough, if feels like i am dying
Aclockworkjj:  i can barely smoke

http://www.shitzu.biz

Bud_Clay

Let us not forget Truffaut's "DAY FOR NIGHT" - March 18th

aaaaand "One Hour Photo" - February 18th

the "I Am Curious" box set will be complete February 25th, and that looks real intriguing.

MacGuffin

Yet another edition of Sam Raimi's cult classic Army of Darkness is on the way. On March 4th, Anchor Bay Home Entertainment will release The Boomstick Edition, a two-disc set that virtually replicates the two-disc set originally released a few years back (not to mention the myriad of single-disc permutations released since.) Featuring new packaging and an 8-page booklet, extras are plentiful. Disc one features anamorphic widescreen and full screen versions, the original ending presented as a supplement, the featurette "The Men Behind The Army" narrated by Bruce Campbell, talent bios and the trailer. Disc two features the extended cut of the film with 15 minutes of additional footage presented in anamorphic widescreen, an audio commentary by Raimi, Campbell and co-writer Ivan Raimi, and four deleted scenes. Retail is $29.95.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

Quote from: MacGuffin

Those bastards.
I bought that single disk Army of Darkness bootleg (the one that looks like it's in a paper bag) that's basically disk two of the last two disk they released because I couldn't find the two disk version anywhere.

The quality of that is shit because it's edited from the daily tape transfers, I assume.

Anyway, I'm not buying it, those fuckers... I'm NOT!

Gold Trumpet

Saving of a lot of money will have to go into April 15th for sure.

~rougerum

sphinx

you have any idea what other lions gate titles will be included in this new-fangled 'signature relases' line, macguffin?

MacGuffin

Quote from: sphinxyou have any idea what other lions gate titles will be included in this new-fangled 'signature relases' line, macguffin?

Adding to their already extensive library of over 2,000 titles, Lions Gate Entertainment recently announced an agreement to buy back the home video distribution rights to 22 of their biggest theatrical films. Originally distributed on DVD Universal Studios Home Video, the 22 titles include such acclaimed and award-winning titles as American Psycho, Affliction, Buffalo 66, Gods and Monsters, Love and Death on Long Island, The Red Violin and Shadow of the Vampire.

With their Universal deal having expired, Peter Block, president of home entertainment, new media and acquisitions, said the company wanted to control the company's own library. "Universal has been a valued partner with whom we continue to work closely in several areas, but we reached a state where controlling our own library was an essential part of our strategy," he said. "Home entertainment is the fastest-growing sector of the industry today, and once our obligations to provide current theatrical titles to Universal expired, establishing an agreement to reacquire our library was the next logical step."

Expect details on the reissues of these titles to arrive in the coming months, as well as the Signature Series line of value-added DVDs, many which will include reissues of some of the 22 titles in the Universal, as well as others from the Lion's Gate catalog.

In addition to Monster's Ball, an unrated extended edition of the acclaimed Eve's Bayou. Extras include audio commentary with the writer and director Kasi Lemmons, producer Cami Winikoff and director of photography, Terilyn A. Shropshire, and Kasi Lemmons' short film "Dr. Hugo," an illumination of Eve's Bayou with an all-new commentary. Lion's Gate will also release a new Signature Series edition of the Shakespeare update 'O,' although specs are not yet available. Street dates are February 18th.

All the Signature Series titles will feature anamorphic widescreen transfers, trailers, new packaging, and more. Retail is $19.95 each.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Duck Sauce

Too bad they cant get a new cover for the DVD, not only is that one tacky, but they have Halle Berry all made up like she is going to the Oscars.

sphinx

nah nah na boo boo!

The special edition disc comes with a 16x9 widescreen transfer, Dolby Digital 5.1 audio, an audio commentary with Moore, an interview with Moore, and the theatrical trailer. Bowling For Columbine is due April 22nd and retails $26.98

Duck Sauce

Obviously it is a marketing ploy, but what exactly makes the Bowling for Columbine disc a "Special Edition"? A special edition compared to what? I wish they would stop doing that.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Duck SauceA special edition compared to what?.

Compared to the VHS version, I'm guessing. But seriously, would you buy it if it didn't call itself "special"?

Are they actually calling that a quadrilogy? They might as well just attach the 4th one to the special features disc and label it as a failed experiment.

RegularKarate

That's some crap.  ARe they gonna offer the new stuff individually?  Probably not...

those fuckers just want all our money...

That's a lot of disks though.