Phone sound

Started by kotte, September 18, 2004, 04:01:28 AM

kotte

I do you make, say, a V/O sound like it's over the phone in Sound Forge 7?

I'm pretty sure it's been talked about here but can't seem to find it.

metroshane

I'd like to know in general.  I played in soundtrack for hours messing with the eq, reverb, gain, etc...and could never get anything close.
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

mutinyco

Try using Pro Tools. Either that or put your mic to the phone and have somebody actually speak through it...
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Ghostboy

You can do it in Final Cut Pro really easily, and I assume that Sound Forge has all the same functions and more. I don't remember the exact settings -- I'll have to open my project to figure out exactly what it is -- but you just turn some frequency to 3500 or so and you get a perfect phone sound. I'll report back...

Ghostboy

All right, add a High Pass filter to the audio clip and then turn the cutoff frequency down to anywhere from 2500 to 4000 (I used 3500, but it's all about what sounds best to you). In FCP, there's also a resonance slider with this filter, and you can play with that too to get a bit more distance to the sound. The only problem you'll have is getting the phone dialogue to match up with the non-phone dialogue in the scene -- since the filter will effect whatever white noise is in the scene, you'll either need to filter out all the white noise or lay a bed of it under the entire scene.

metroshane

Thanks, I'll try that.
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.