To Newbs, introduce yourself.

Started by Xixax, January 08, 2003, 01:13:48 PM

Xixax

Well, here it is. Thanks for stopping by.

Why did I start this message board? Well...

In March of 2002, Greg from ptanderson.com and I started up a message board to discuss PTA's films. From this message area, a community of rabid film fans grew.

Then, at the end of December, 2002, Greg decided to pull the plug on the message board because the content had strayed so far from the original intent of the message area. The users were spending more time talking about their OTHER favorite films and goofing on each other than they spent talking about P.T. Anderson's work. In time, the message area was somewhat out-of-place for the PTA site, so the site's owner yanked it - rather abruptly.

This left the PTA community orphaned with no real place to go.

A couple of PTA community regulars started some other message boards to try to "gather the flock" so to speak, but they were quickly met with difficulties. The first attempt was shut down due to bandwidth consumption. A second PTA community was constructed, but it contained popup ads. I still wanted a place (without popups) where I could read and talk film with other movie buffs. So, I created this little message system from some free software and a domain name I purchased on a whim a few years ago.

What does Xixax (pronounced "sick-sacks", "sicks-axe" or "sex-acts" if you prefer) mean? From what I understand, it means nothing. The word comes from an old German punk rock diva, Nina Hagen. Her album NunSexMonkRock has been one of my favorites since I was a kid, and it contains a song called Born in Xixax. That's about the extent of it. One evening I decided to look and see if this 5-letter dot-com name was taken. It was available, and on an impulse I snatched it up. At least now it's something useful.

Have a good time here. We'll see how this message area thing goes!

-Michael
:lol:

Listen to "Born in Xixax"

Purchase NunSexMonkRock from Nina Hagen's Official Web Site
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Mark Cardella Sr

Thanks for setting up this board so we can still exchange opinions, ideas and enjoy movies.
We are the location for Bargain Intl., Barry Egan's business in "Punch Drunk Love".

Tommy Both

:o
Still kinda in awe... but great Michael, that you took the intiative....!
You the man! -Tommy sending props from Amsterdam

GodDamnImDaMan

Just when you thought it was safe to cream your pants again...
Aclockworkjj:  I have like broncitious or something
Aclockworkjj:  sucks, when i cough, if feels like i am dying
Aclockworkjj:  i can barely smoke

http://www.shitzu.biz

budgie

Just one thing... where's the kissing icon?

Xixax

Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

budgie

Redlum

Thanks Michael. It's good to be back.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

MacGuffin

One thing: Unless you have email notification, is there another way to be told about PM's without checking the box all the time? Can we get the "Hey, MacGuffin, you have 1 message in your box" back or something like that?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

budgie

Oh no, I love that little cute window thang! Less you guys want to be able to see your notches?

Jake_82

it's good to be back, I was beginning to think I might have to get a life now that I couldn't waste my time on the board all day-- Thank God I was wrong! :)
your reality is at the end of your dream

Xixax

Quote from: MacGuffinOne thing: Unless you have email notification, is there another way to be told about PM's without checking the box all the time? Can we get the "Hey, MacGuffin, you have 1 message in your box" back or something like that?

This is my first experience with this software, so to answer... I'm not sure.

I have the popup windows enabled, and when you get an IM, the software pops up a window telling you. Which, to me, is still way cooler than having a static number on the page.

Do you have that feature enabled in your profile?
[/size]

MacGuffin

Quote from: Michael_WilsonI have the popup windows enabled, and when you get an IM, the software pops up a window telling you. Which, to me, is still way cooler than having a static number on the page.

Do you have that feature enabled in your profile?

I do, but I think because I have a pop-up blocker on computer that is why I'm not getting those.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Xixax

Quote from: MacGuffinI have a pop-up blocker on computer that is why I'm not getting those.

That'd do it, allright.

:wink:

Note to self: do not go overboard with the smileys. Cutesy = bad
[/size]

Jake_82

Another suggestion-- could we have a thing at the bottom of the forum index that says the last 5 messages posted like it used to have on the PTA message board? because with over ten different boards on here its kind of hard to keep track
your reality is at the end of your dream