Working on your dream?

Started by kotte, January 27, 2004, 02:45:38 PM

Alethia

i'm still in high school so my pursuing hasnt fully started yet, but here go:

i write constantly - im trying to write THREE different features right now, though im focusing heavily on one more than the other two

i'm watching and buying as much as i can

im learning a ton from being on xixax

i start film class on friday so that'll be good

right now im basically just lovin it so here's to the future i guess

Ghostboy

Quote from: eward

im learning a ton from being on xixax

Me too. That's one of the reasons why I love this place.

Slick Shoes

Damn, you guys make me feel lazy. :(

TheVoiceOfNick

Ok, i've been gone for a while so i'll start as of a month ago...

* Finished up writing and directing a humorous public service announcement (you can see it on my site).
* Casting and doing general pre-production for a new short in March.
* Starting graduate school in a few days.
* In pre-production for a spec commercial.

Pubrick

Quote from: Slick ShoesDamn, you guys make me feel lazy. :(
tell me about it.

f*ck.
under the paving stones.

cine

Quote from: ranemaka13I mean, Kubrick started out snapping pictures, right?
Yes, but the man wasn't just a guy snapping pictures. He was a natural photojournalist.

Raikus

Quote from: kotte
Quote from: Raikus
Quote from: kotte
Quote from: Raikus-Writing a short story

I'd like to do more of this. You can go places and do stories you could never if you knew you'd be filming it.
It's weird. I've always been a literature writer and I thought transitioning to screenwriting would be pretty easy. However, I still find the easiest way to complete a screenplay is for me to write the story version of it first and then base the screenplay on it. I've been slaving through my primary feature script for three years now and just can't seem to break through it. I may have to go back and write it as a story first.  :x

If you've been working on it for three years without break-throughs, why not just put it on ice and move on? If it matters this much to you (you've been on it for this long) you shouldn't toss it out but it obviously deserves som time alone :)
The three years takes into account two such ice ages. I'm about to enter the third. I let it sit for about four months and then go back to it. I just need to hammer through it. I'm at the crucial 80 page range and just need to get finish my third act and then start revising. Oh well, maybe in June...
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: Cinephile
Quote from: ranemaka13I mean, Kubrick started out snapping pictures, right?
Yes, but the man wasn't just a guy snapping pictures. He was a natural photojournalist.
Yes, yes. I just meant that even he started out small.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Pedro

Shooting more documentary footage.

Then working on an experimental animation.

After that, a short fiction piece.  I gotta busy year ahead of me.

molly

when you are writing, do you have everything figured out in your head, or you come up with things and characters as you go on?

Raikus

It's about half and half for me. I'll create a basic story and outline on most and let the character development and interaction happen as the story goes along. Other times I have just come up with a situation and started the story without any real thought as to resolution. It's fun because you're tagging along with the character and it allows you to get a better sense of his/her thoughts/feelings/attitudes.

I'm sure this is different for different writers though.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Recce

-Putting a shot list together for a short I plan to shoot before the summer.
-Constantly working on one production or another for university. Got an experimental, a studio production and trying to sell the above mentionned project as my final.
-Constantly trying to get the team members I have to work with to use my ideas but not massacre them by insisting on making something the teacher will like.
-Freaking out over a portrait/documentary short I have to shoot tomorrow which I haven't done nearly enough preparation for.
-Trying to re-edit a 60 second video I shot last semester and use it as my demo reel.
-Trying to get out of my dead-end job as a projectionist and get a job in a production company somewhere. But I'm starting to think I might wanna work in a video store. It'd be fun for a few months.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

Sleepless

Quote from: mollywhen you are writing, do you have everything figured out in your head, or you come up with things and characters as you go on?

I'm not sure... I've tried a couple of different approaches. For example, on one I've planned out every scene before hand; on another I have the basic story and detailed characters worked out; on another I've just started writting to see where it goes. I think the best approach, for me at least is a combination of all. I think it's good to have the basic story worked out, to write the first draft, and then go back and improve it all in re-drafts. Story and all.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

The Silver Bullet

I am:

• Working on the second draft of a feature-length screenplay, which will no doubt wind up being my feature debut.
  • Working on the rough cut of a short film.
  • Writing a number of shorts for school [see below].
  • "Studying" film and television at University [in reality, I'm actually using their equipment to complete my own projects, but still].
    [/list:u]
RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

Pedro

uploading the footage i shot to the editors...it sucks.  (documentary)