They Fought Alone

Started by MacGuffin, February 27, 2003, 09:07:18 AM

MacGuffin

Empire Online reports that Brad Pitt will reteam with his Fight Club director David Fincher on They Fought Alone, from screenwriter William Nicholson:

In Hollywood you're only as good as your last movie. And when that movie was Gladiator, the pressure for British screenwriter William Nicholson to do a successful follow-up was immense. So he's naturally pretty pleased that his next script – They Fought Alone – will see Brad Pitt reteaming with director David Fincher.

They Fought Alone, previously known as Fertig, is based on the book by WEB Griffin and tells the story of one Wendell Fertig, an American soldier who fought in the Philippines during World War II. After American soldiers are ordered to surrender, Fertig and his men team up with Filipino resistance fighters to prevent the Japanese from taking full control of the region. When Fertig gets a message out about his guerilla actions, the American army is divided between wanting to get behind the rogue team and disowning Fertig for having ignored military orders. The part was previously considered by Pitt's fellow A-lister Tom Cruise.

'I'm doing a thing with David Fincher at present,' Nicholson told the audience at this week's Orange Screenwriters Season lecture. 'And I have to sort of become David Fincher, and think, "how is he seeing this," so that he will be able to direct it...And then the actor comes on board. And in the David Fincher one it's Brad Pitt.

'I'm sitting there thinking 'I should be so lucky to have these people actually wanting to do - well I was going to say my movie, but of course it's not my movie and when it eventually comes out it'll be David Fincher's movie.'
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Duck Sauce

Finchers skateboard movie sounds better to me

Ghostboy

I'm really very excited that he's signed on to this (I imagine he'll go into it directly after Lords Of Dogtown). He's moving into new directions, trying new things. Always great when a director does that. These projects sound so much more refreshing than mi:3

Gold Trumpet

lets hope the writing is actually good.

~rougerum

Ghostboy

I should mention, though, that I think the title is really lame.

Newtron

Quote from: GhostboyI should mention, though, that I think the title is really lame.
Quite.

Recent war film titles:
Saving Private Ryan.  :shock:
We Were Soldiers  :shock:
Captain Corelli's Mandolin  :shock:
Magnolia  :-D

oakmanc234

A David Fincher war film with his 'Se7en' 'Fight Club' star Brad Pitt-
KICKASS.

War films have seemed to be the trend for quite a while: Pearl Harbor, Captain Corelli's Mandolin, Enemy at the Gates, Black Hawk Down, Behind Enemy Lines, We Were Soldiers, Harts War, Windtalkers, Tears of the Sun,
Tarantino's upcoming 'Inglorious Bastards' and now 'They Fought Alone'.

Though alot of the above titles are lame, Fincher's flick is bound to rule (if he actually makes it)
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

Duck Sauce

Why is ever Fincher movie rumored have to have Pitt attached? Are we seeing a Scorsese-De Niro on a smaller (and less talented) scale?

©brad

Is it that hard to comprehend that maybe certain actors and directors get along and work well together? Soderbergh and Clooney for one.

snaporaz

the story doesn't sound all that great to me.  :?

©brad

Quote from: Newtron

Captain Corelli's Mandolin  :shock:

My history professor went on and on about this film today in class and since he knows his shit I was curious to see if anyone else has seen it. why would i take film advice from a history teacher you ask? b/c i've had a couple of conversations w/ him and it turns out he's pretty film literate. plus he has a being john malckovich poster in his office.

Gold Trumpet

Tell your history professor to stick to history. His boastings almost did the unspeakable in making someone believe this movie could be good. Thing is, the movie is a steady exercise in telling a love story that was cliche by 1945. Nic Cage plays a character just because he has to say it with an accent. Everything else is just standing around and talking about the drama that isn't that interesting anyways.

~rougerum