All the Real Girls! - August 19th! (UPDATED W/ SPECS!)

Started by Ernie, June 06, 2003, 11:13:57 AM

SoNowThen

AHA! So you watched everything?

How are the extras?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

MacGuffin

Notice how ebeaman is avoiding my discussion/opinion?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ernie

Quote from: MacGuffinNotice how ebeaman is avoiding my discussion/opinion?

No, I directly adressed it in my last post. You said you didn't undertand her trust in him, I thought I adressed that as much as I can.

Ernie

Quote from: SoNowThenAHA! So you watched everything?

How are the extras?

I actually still haven't watched the movie. I finished the essay way late at night so I gave myself a little reward with the featurette and the trailer...I didn't even touch the commentary, that comes after.

The thing's kinda sucky I guess...it's one of those attempted "behind the scenes" featurettes where more than half of it is just clips from the movie (that I REALLY didn't wanna see b4 the movie!). There are a few cool little interviews and Zooey is too cool, DGG talks a little about his unconventional methods on the set, and Paul Schneider just looks really funny and smart.

MacGuffin

Quote from: ebeamanNo, I directly adressed it in my last post. You said you didn't undertand her trust in him, I thought I adressed that as much as I can.

No, you indirectly addressed by just agreeing with everything SoNowThen is saying. And I didn't say I didn't understand her trust him, I know she trusts him....You know what, I'm not gonna retype it. Go back and read again, if you care. I'm done.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffin*SPOILERS*

Answer me this then: Why does Noel, after having expressed that Paul was the only guy she wanted to spend more than five minutes with, lets him in on her 'fish hook' story, and trusts with her viginity secret, decide to "cheat" on him, and herself? To me, it seemed a plot device to get at what you guys are fawning over. She says after that, she knew she loved him, but I don't believe that. She loved him before that.
i dunno man, sounds like petty criticism, u can make 'plotting' comments on any movie ever made.

spoilers

i didn't like that she cheated on him either, mainly cos it made me hate her. it was necessary.. and for paul to find any peace he had to come to terms with that idea, to understand and accept it.. which i think he might hav done in the end. i'm not sure exactly, but it wasn't just a plot device, there's sumthin about that much pain at that moment. i'm not saying it "happened for a reason", that's lame cos it was a moment without reason. but realistically what relationship doesn' cause pain? not a real one. the film is left in a state of growth/change that worked really well for me.
under the paving stones.

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

SoNowThen

MacGuffin

Quote from: Pi dunno man, sounds like petty criticism, u can make 'plotting' comments on any movie ever made.

It's not petty because it turned the movie after that point into something conventional, and lost what originality came before it.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

okay ignore everything else i said then. what would u like to hav happened instead? hypothetically, a more original conclusion..
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Pokay ignore everything else i said then..

Just doing what everybody else is doing to my comments.

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

Ernie

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: ebeamanNo, I directly adressed it in my last post. You said you didn't undertand her trust in him, I thought I adressed that as much as I can.

No, you indirectly addressed by just agreeing with everything SoNowThen is saying. And I didn't say I didn't understand her trust him, I know she trusts him....You know what, I'm not gonna retype it. Go back and read again, if you care. I'm done.

Alright alright, let me reiterate...this time directly. I think she puts her trust in him through sheer desperation. She only THINKS that she can trust him at that point and he think he can trust her. You have to remember, she's probably pretty desperate for somebody to latch on to and talk with cause she's been in boarding school for awhile, we never hear what her parents are like or how well she gets along with them (as far as I can remember). She kinda lets her guard down it looks like. Shes vulnerable and scared and all that wonderful stuff that makes sense in a young girl or guy.

MacGuffin

Quote from: SoNowThenI thought I tried to address them...

Sorry. You're right. Yes, you did.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffinJust doing what everybody else is doing to my comments.
hey man, fuck that, i'm speaking for myself and u know ur asking for trouble when u expect ebeaman to hav a reasonable argument here. the dude doesn't know love or what the fuck this movie is about, he's scared of chicks for christ's sake.

ebeaman will prolly just agree with me in the end cos he thinks i'm saying what he's feeling, but the truth is i'm not talking to them and ur avoiding any sense i'm making on account of no one else making any (sense).

anyway, i'm goin to bed, i'm done.
under the paving stones.