A Godard thread about Britney Spears

Started by Xixax, February 08, 2003, 10:38:42 PM

Pubrick

that cover looks like the bum from mulhol drive.

and spears is hot, fyags.
under the paving stones.

Gold Trumpet

MAKE YOUR OWN JEAN-LUC GODARD FILM!

He arrives (a) and then bang (b) a refinery (c) explodes. The Americans (d) make love.(e) Cannibals (f) armed with bazookas (g) fire (h) on the railroad.(i) She falls (l) riddled with bullets (m) from a rifle.(n) At mad speed (o) to Vincennes (p) Cohn Bendit (q) catches the train (r) and speaks.(s) Two men (t) kill her.(u) He reads sayings of Mao.(v) Montesquieu (z) throws a bomb (w) at Diderot.(x) He kills himself.(k) He peddles Le Figaro.(j) The redskins arrive.(y)

VARIANTS KEY

(a) Is already there reading the sayings of Mao. Lies dead on the superhighway with brains spattered. Is killing himself. Harrangues a crowd. Runs along the street. Jumps out a window.

(b) Splash. Splat. Wham. Rit-tat-tat. Mumble mumble.

(c) A kindergarten. Notre Dame. Communist Party headquarters. Houses of Parliament. The Parthenon. The offices of Le Figaro. The Elysee. Paris.

(d) The Germans. French paratroopers. Vietnamese. Arabs. Israelis. Police.

(e) Do not make love.

(f) Indians. Hordes of accountants. Dissident Communists. Crazed truck drivers.

(g) Yagatan. Copies of Le Figaro. Pirate's sabers. Submachine guns. Cans of red paint. Cans of blue paint. Cans of yellow paint. Cans of orange paint. Cans of black paint. Picasso paintings. Little red books. Picture postcards.

(h) Throw rocks. Bombs. Empty cans of red paint, blue paint, yellow paint, black paint. Pour some slippery stuff.

(i) On the Elysee. On the University of Nanterre. In Piazza Navona. All over the road.

(l) Is thrown out the window by CIA agents. Is raped by paratroopers. Is killed by Australian aborigines.

(m) With a gaping wound in the belly. Spewing forth streams of yellow (red, blue, black) paint. Making love with Voltaire.

(n) Loquat.

(o) Unsteadily. Very, very slowly. Remaining still while background (process shot) moves.

(p) Nanterre. Flins. Place de la Bastille. Clignancourt. Venice.

(q) Jacques Servan-Schreiber. Jean-Paul Sartre. Pier Paolo Passolini. D'Alembert.

(r) Misses the train. Goes on a bicycle. On roller skates.

(s) Bursts into tears. Shouts Viva Guevara.

(t) A band of Indians.

(u) Kill everybody. Kill nobody.

(v) Quotations from Brecht. The Declaration of the Rights of Man. Saint-John Perse. Prince Korzybski. Eluard. Lo Sun. Charles Peguy. Rosa Luxemburg.

(z) Diderot. Sade. Restif de la Bretonne. Pompidou.

(w) A tomato. Red paint (blue, yellow, black).

(x) Daniel Cohn-Bendit. Nixon. Madame de Sevigne. Voltaire. Van Vogt. Einstein.

(k) Goes away. Kills all the others. Throws a bomb at the Arc de Triomphe. Blows up an electronic brain. Empties onto the grounds various cans of yellow (green, blue, red, black) paint.

(j) The sayings of Mao. Writes a ta-tze-bao. Reads verses of Pierre Emmanuel. Watches a Chaplin movie.

(y) The paratroopers. The Germans. Hordes of starving accountants brandishing sabers.  Armored cars. Pier Paolo Passolini with Pompidu. The Bank Holiday traffic. Diderot selling the Encyclopedie door to door. The Marxist-Leninist Union on skateboards.

I forgot I had this in one of my books.

~rougerum

cine

Gold Trumpet

"Misreadings", by Umberto Eco.

~rougerum

ShanghaiOrange

According to the trivia section of on IMDB for "Bonnie and Cylde" Godard might have potentially directed the movie, but was stopped because he allegedly "planned to change Bonnie and Clyde to teenagers and relocate the story to Japan, prompting the film's investors to force him off the project."

I've never seen "Bonnie and Clyde" or any of Godard's films but that would have been the best movie ever. :(
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

Find Your Magali

Quote from: ShanghaiOrangeAccording to the trivia section of on IMDB for "Bonnie and Cylde" Godard might have potentially directed the movie, but was stopped because he allegedly "planned to change Bonnie and Clyde to teenagers and relocate the story to Japan, prompting the film's investors to force him off the project."

I've never seen "Bonnie and Clyde" or any of Godard's films but that would have been the best movie ever. :(

Actually, if you think about it, many, many movies would have been great if you had:

(1) changed the main characters to teenagers
(2) moved the setting to Japan
(3) and directed in the style of the French New Wave

Just a few examples:

-- Star Wars
-- Do The Right Thing
-- Goodfellas
-- Cocoon
-- Seabiscuit
-- Evil Dead
-- Long Day's Journey Into Night
-- Tron
-- Gone with the Wind
-- Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo
-- The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-up Zombies

These are just a few of the splendid possibilities.... :wink:

ShanghaiOrange

Last five films (video)

modage

X3: British magazine New indicates Britney Spears has been eagerly eyeing a role in the next installment of the X-Men franchise.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ShanghaiOrange

Last five films (video)

ono

Quote from: themodernage02X3: British magazine New indicates Britney Spears has been eagerly eyeing a role in the next installment of the X-Men franchise.
Quote from: ShanghaiOrangeHOLY SHIT  :shock:
Best.  Non-sequitur.  Ever.

Hehe, I came across that King Lear flick a while back when doing research on Norman Mailer.  Curiosity makes me want to see how bad it really is.

godardian

Quote from: Onomatopoeia
Quote from: themodernage02X3: British magazine New indicates Britney Spears has been eagerly eyeing a role in the next installment of the X-Men franchise.
Quote from: ShanghaiOrangeHOLY SHIT  :shock:
Best.  Non-sequitur.  Ever.

Hehe, I came across that King Lear flick a while back when doing research on Norman Mailer.  Curiosity makes me want to see how bad it really is.

I consider Woody Allen and Molly Ringwald both more interesting than cranky Mr. Mailer (who did most for pop culture by being the butt of an excellent joke in the "Shari Bobbins" episode of The Simpsons); they're both in King Lear, too.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

tpfkabi

i watched the Fox Lorber DVD of My LIfe to Live last night.
it was great.
first time i've seen Anna Karina and i'm in love.
i have breathless and contempt as well.

how is Band of Outsiders?
i want to see A Woman is a Woman so badly. the description sounds so interesting. it's a musical......music starts and stops suddenly......first color for Godard /Coutard.........hopefully the re-release means Criterion next year!
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

SoNowThen

It does, for almost certain.

Band Of Outsiders is amazing. Buy it!!!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.