Is Soderbergh lying?

Started by kotte, August 25, 2003, 12:20:51 PM

Sleuth

Quote from: cowboykurtis
Quote from: kotteAgree with that...

Paintings. Why are paintings important? I don't think I could manage without music, movies etc but paintings...why are they important?

spoken perfectly by a product of the 20th century. you should be proud of yourself -- someone raised you well -- just out of curiosity, do you refer to your television as Daddy?

Whoa man, did you read the thread as it progressed?  He's opening himself up to paintings
I like to hug dogs

kotte

Paintings. Why are paintings important? I don't think I could manage without music, movies etc but paintings...why are they important?

spoken perfectly by a product of the 20th century. you should be proud of yourself -- someone raised you well -- just out of curiosity, do you refer to your television as Daddy?

Hehe...not really but I guess your right. But hell, I just admitted I've gained a new outlook on art, "The old version" :)

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: kotte

Hehe...not really but I guess your right. But hell, I just admitted I've gained a new outlook on art, "The old version" :)

dont be swayed so easy , think for yourself

i love paintings , but still

i hate people who change their opinions on the drop of a dime

kotte

Quote from: AlguienEstolamiPantalones

That's not what I did...Paintings are one thing I've known nothing about. I do think for myself...Ok. I needed a push from someone else to make me understand paintings...

And since it was that easy I guess it was in my mind the whole time but I had problems expressing it.

rustinglass

Maybe you should try viewing some online gallerys? here are some suggestions.

try this one (sandro botticelli):
http://cgfa.sunsite.dk/botticel/

see la primavera and jethro's daughters , two of my favourite works of art of all time.

If you want to take a look into surrealism, joan mirĂ³ is my favourite:
http://www.callihan.com/art/miro.html
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: AlguienEstolamiPantalones

. I do think for myself....

your first post you said pretty much that you want to be a pta clone look at your pic

come on, i feel good vibes from you, why else have i not ripped into you im trying to help

you seem like a nice guy

kotte

Quote from: AlguienEstolamiPantalonesyour first post you said pretty much that you want to be a pta clone look at your pic

come on, i feel good vibes from you, why else have i not ripped into you im trying to help

you seem like a nice guy

Thanks for picking up my vibes....

No, I never said I wanted to be a PTA clone. I consciously had to repress my PTA-feelings (and what did that sound like? :) ). All this repression emerged into something of a writer's block. I knew I needed my own style but when I tried, I found my self thinking "is this something PTA would like?". I didn't want to feel this way and I certainly didn't try to write like him but I think all of this were a product  of having matched his films constantly for 6 month's or so.

Hey, what's up with disliking my picture??? :)

budgie

I believe movies and music are commercialized versions of art and paintings the opposite...

'Art' and paintings aren't made to sell then?

MacGuffin

My God, it's a great pleasure to have you back.  :kiss:
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

kotte

Quote from: budgie
I believe movies and music are commercialized versions of art and paintings the opposite...

'Art' and paintings aren't made to sell then?

Well sure, but not to the general public but a cultural elite.
But then some movies are too. Magnolia wasn't appreciated by the general public. A friend was actually offended by Magnolia because she didn't understand it and felt stupified.

I'm not really sure what I meant by 'commercialized versions of art'. I think I was speaking from my own head and how I felt about paintings. I think something commercial is easy to absorb like movies and music.

I think I could be wrong when I said 'commercialized versions' when I think about it...this is turning into useless rambling. I'll let you guys take over and put me into place.

PS. I just watched Network. It's great DS.

budgie

That was the most depressing reply I've ever had.

kotte

Quote from: budgieThat was the most depressing reply I've ever had.

thanks

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: kotteI think something commercial is easy to absorb like movies and music.

I think a good painting is much easier to absorb than something like, umm, Kangaroo Jack. The mainstream audience has been trained to be intimidated by art, when there is nothing to be intimidated by.

Pwaybloe

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanThe mainstream audience has been trained to be intimidated by art, when there is nothing to be intimidated by.

The mainstream audience isn't intimidated by art; they are intimidated by artists and the art community.  They hold art as to be only for intellectuals and philosophers.  Mainstream audiences are turned off by that, and for good reason.

It works the same way with film critics.

kotte

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: kotteI think something commercial is easy to absorb like movies and music.

I think a good painting is much easier to absorb than something like, umm, Kangaroo Jack.

I don't know about that. Ok, sitting through Kangaroo Jack can certainly feel life-wasting and ass-soaring but most people don't know what to look for in a painting. People may be impressed by how good an artist is but that's not enough to keep people in galleries or museums.
For most people a painting is something very concrete, something that looks good but does nothing emotionally.