official Fiona Apple thread

Started by neatahwanta, November 29, 2003, 05:24:09 PM

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

ABKman18

yeah, saw fiona at largo tonight--very special night to say the least.  Jon was great as always.  Other performances included Robyn Hitchcock with Jon and Sarah and Sean Watkins of Nickel Creek with Jon.

Myxo

Quote from: ABKman18yeah, saw fiona at largo tonight--very special night to say the least.  Jon was great as always.  Other performances included Robyn Hitchcock with Jon and Sarah and Sean Watkins of Nickel Creek with Jon.
I'm hoping modage will fight you when he reads this.

*jealous*

ABKman18

oh yeah, I forgot to add that Grant Lee Phillips was there as well.....

*Runs and Hides* :shock:

polkablues

Quote from: ABKman18oh yeah, I forgot to add that Grant Lee Phillips was there as well.....

*Runs and Hides* :shock:

:yabbse-kickinballs:

I love Grant Lee Phillips.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Pozer

From Entertainment Weekly (Download This):
Scorned once again, FIONA APPLE offers a scathing "Parting Gift" for her former flame on this new track: "You silly, stupid pastime of mine/You were always good for a rhyme." Burn!

Do you think this about P.T. or that other Fatty McFat Fats dude?

Pubrick

i think it's about when she dated laurie metcalf from that one episode of 3rd Rock where she kept on rhyming everything.
under the paving stones.

polkablues

I think it's a reference to the receptionist from "Moonlighting".
My house, my rules, my coffee

Alethia

i always wondered how it made her feel that pta used aimee mann's music for magnolia and not hers...

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

FIONA SPEAKS!
Source: Rolling Stone

Singer-songwriter recounts her five years out of the spotlight

Fiona Apple's third studio album, the revised Extraordinary Machine, is now finally slated for release on October 4th -- years after her last effort, 1999's When the Pawn.... So what has the enigmatic, twenty-seven-year-old singer-songwriter been up to for all that time? Her prolonged absence from the spotlight can be divided into three phases, Apple tells Rolling Stone.

Phase One: "I Don't Care." After touring behind When the Pawn..., Apple bought a home in Los Angeles. "The first couple of years, I didn't have anything left in me to write about," she says. "That was a good thing, because it meant I'd done my job on the last batch of songs. I was riding a wave of independence. I wasn't trying to write; I just figured if the songs came to me, they came to me, and if not, 'Oh, well, it's been fun.'"

Phase Two: "Come On, Now." Apple had been having lunch with producer Jon Brion every Tuesday when Brion finally said, "Let's get started again." "I gathered scraps for songs," she says. "And I ended up writing the rest on the way, a totally new approach for me. The upside was that I'd finished all these songs that otherwise might've been left in 'I don't care' land; the downside was that I didn't have enough time to live with the songs before recording them, so I really didn't know what I wanted."

Brion had introduced Apple to producer Mike Elizondo, who has worked with Dr. Dre and 50 Cent. "Fiona, Jon and I chilled for the better part of the day," says Elizondo. Five months later, he got a call from Apple's management. "She said, 'I have this batch of songs; I'd like to come up with different versions,'" Elizondo says. "Jon was not involved, but he was cool on all fronts. I took a song at a time, learned it, then from scratch made different versions, different grooves. Fiona was open to experiment. There were no boundaries."

Phase Three: "The Untitled Phase." Fiona worked with Elizondo at Phantom Studio -- located in the back yard of his home in L.A.'s Westlake Village -- laying down piano and vocals. ("Extraordinary Machine" and "Waltz" are untouched from the Brion sessions leaked online earlier this year. And FYI: Apple's label, Sony, never shelved the record.) Live drums were overdubbed by Abe Laboriel Jr. and ?uestlove of the Roots.

"I've got a bundle of songs of which I am exceedingly proud," Apple says. "And I'm excited to see how I handle the whole trip this time around, being that I'm finally at the point where I can call myself an adult without losing myself to the giggles."
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Myxo

Extraordinary Machine will be available as a regular CD and a DualDisc. The DualDisc DVD side includes:

• The Entire album in Enhanced LPCM Stereo
• Brand-new videos for "Not About Love" and "Parting Gift (live)," never before released
• Live performances of 5 songs filmed at the club Largo in Los Angeles, including "Fast As You Can" and "Paper Bag"
• Behind-the-scenes footage

72teeth

You think PTA may have filmed those Largo shows...?
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Pubrick

Quote from: 72teethYou think PTA may have filmed those Largo shows...?
in as much as anyone could set up a tripod, sure.
under the paving stones.

72teeth

Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza