The Grandmasters

Started by squints, July 19, 2011, 02:13:21 AM

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

pete

"'kung-fu', just two characters. One sideways, the other stands tall. The one that's wrong, falls. The right one stands. Do you agree?"

that's the quote and my translation of it
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kellen

Watched this last night and was pretty blown away by it.  I don't think that its going to be for everyone though especially if you're just looking for a non stop action/kung fu type film.  Wong Kar Wai continued his track record of having some of the most beautifully lensed pictures.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

jenkins

jenkins

^^ right at it

the academy is trying to expand its horizons. i like that they're taking looks at other movies. in june i saw supercop with a beginning jackie chan interview -- think about that. can't describe what a joy that was. now this, THIS:

http://www.oscars.org/events-exhibitions/events/2013/07/wong-kar-wai-salute.html

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

jenkins

what am i excited about it. there seem to be 0 clues anywhere, especially in this thread, about what i'm excited about

samsong

enjoyed this despite the glaring sense of truncation and some borderline offensive pandering to american audiences.  i sought out the original cut and having seen it now, i think the grandmaster is a great film and another wkw masterpiece.  comparisons to once upon a time in america (for reasons other than the obvious homage by way of music cue) and the leopard wouldn't be unwarranted.  definitely the best kung fu movie i've ever seen, and while wkw's pet themes and poetry abound, it delivers all the fun and cool associated with the genre.  i'd like to say this more than makes up for my blueberry nights but i walked out of that, and it's still among the most painful movie-going experiences i've had. 

as it stands, the u.s. release is a mesmerizing exercise in style over substance that hints at the depth and richness that the elegiac historical epic by way of a kung fu movie has in its original form.  i would love to see this mythical four hour cut but it doesn't seem like wkw has any intention of making that available and stands by the 130-minute cut as final.