The Dresden Dolls

Started by classical gas, November 15, 2004, 02:48:07 AM

classical gas

Has anyone out there heard of them or listened to their album(s).  I'm new to them and was skeptical of starting a thread about the band, but I really love what I've heard and wanted to generate a buzz and find out if anyone has listened to a full album of theirs and what their take on them was.

at http://dresdendolls.com/ , you can download a few songs.  'good day', 'coin operated boy' (the first song i heard of theirs) and 'half jack' being my favorites so far.  the singer looks kind of cute but it could be the make up and outfits, who knows.

EDIT: last one, i promise, but please, at least check out their two music videos on their site even if you don't like the band....oh so good.

discuss....please,

p.s. 'pete', aren't you in boston?  what's the word on them?

pete

why is my name in quotes?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

classical gas

that's a good question...i'm not really sure actually

MacGuffin

It might have to do with pete's birthday party. Ask Bethie.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

GoneSavage

Great band, the schtick is a little much though.  Incredible live performances, beyond the music there's a real dynamic between the two of them (for obvious reasons).  The song they pushed out here is "Girl Anachronism" which takes about a month to get out of your head.

classical gas

Quote from: GoneSavagethere's a real dynamic between the two of them (for obvious reasons).

Are they brother and sister or something?  I haven't been listening long enough to get tired of their schtick.  "Girl Anachronism" is a great song and i love the video for it.  but i'm sure everyone reading this has been on the website and seen their two videos and live performances, so i won't go on....

classical gas

Stefen

I like the dreseden dolls. I've seen them here in Northampton, MA as well as East Hampton. A little gimmicky, but fun none theless. I always thought they were just local.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

classical gas

well, our local 'alternative' station plays one 'independent song' a night at 6:30.  they played them and i went to their website and got some more music.  they're really good, i think.  and the singer i find to be really attractive.  but it may just be me.  

but yeah, i think this thread has run it's course.  time to put my baby to sleep.

locked!

Stefen

So I've been following them around. Incognito. I got great footage. Classical, are you jealous? What you want to see? God, they are really fucking good.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

matt35mm

I have not seen them live, so I don't know their "schtick" either.  But I do have their album and it is freakin GOOD.  "Good Day" is my personal favorite, and I could listen to that over and over again.  I think I'll listen to it now.