What are we reading?

Started by edison, September 21, 2003, 11:20:03 PM

Derek237

mister mister

The last book I read was Bride Stripped Bare by Anonymous

Currently re-reading Clockwork Orange because I haven't got anything else, but its still cool to read.

The Silver Bullet

What was Bride Stripped Bare like?

I read the foreword by the girl's mother one day while I was in a bookstore, but not the whole thing [for obvious reasons].
RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

coffeebeetle

Hal Hartley's screenplay The Unbelievable Truth.  Next up: Trust.
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

budgie

Quote from: RegularKarate
Whoa...  ouch...

um... all I heard was him mention that he was in Austin and another where he said to ignore Entertainment Weekly and to take it easy (what was that about?)

Now I feel like I really missed something... does he want to be a chick or something?

I really don't feel I can say now since it's been removed to protect Chuck. Never mind, just read Survivor, it'll still be great.

godardian

""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

aclockworkjj

Mac...what did you think of that other book?  the character driven screenwritting one.

molly

Chuck Palahniuk's Lullaby.
Has anybody read it?

edison

Quote from: mollyChuck Palahniuk's Lullaby.
Has anybody read it?

I have and that means you should too.

MacGuffin

Quote from: aclockworkjjMac...what did you think of that other book?  the character driven screenwritting one.

Very good. 'Part 1 -The Character Driven Approach' was very informative and helpful in looking at different approaches to starting/writing. The last two parts were good, but didn't really relate to the screenplay I'm working on now and were kinda redundant for me (stuff I already know and have read in other books), but it would still be a great book to read and refresh one self before starting a new screenplay.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ShanghaiOrange

Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

aclockworkjj

Quote from: MacGuffinVery good. 'Part 1 -The Character Driven Approach'
yeah I know what you mean...but if nothing else it at least gives you some good points to consider while writing.  But more along the lines of just sparking ideas.  Never the less, it's a pretty good read, as well as not to long.  I don't know if I really have an opinon on Ryan, but I would reccomend it to anyone writing...as it made me think about some things that I probably wouldn't have otherwise.  Mac, do you belong to that that book club (or anyone for that matter)?

MacGuffin

Quote from: aclockworkjjMac, do you belong to that that book club?

Not anymore since it went out of business.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

aclockworkjj

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: aclockworkjjMac, do you belong to that that book club?

Not anymore since it went out of business.
wow...I didn't know that, but might explain why I haven't gotten anything from them in a while.  Oh well, I got a lot of pretty cool books from them, even some of the shitty monthly selections I got stuck with, cause I never returned the order card were good.

Gamblour.

This book is a fun read so far, I've only finished the interview with the Coens. It's great to hear the experience put into anecdotal form, making it more accessible.
WWPTAD?