What are we reading?

Started by edison, September 21, 2003, 11:20:03 PM

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: SoNowThen

With a moustache ilke that, how could he NOT be a nihilist?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Reed Rothchild

You know, people tell me I kind of look like Han Solo.

DVD Collection

Redlum

Quote from: CinephileJust purchased and loving this book  :-D  :-D  :-D
That looks great!...Must find.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

cine

Quote from: ®edlum
That looks great!...Must find.
Indeed... Must find... Out of print...  :P  8)

Pwaybloe

After watching "A Decade Under the Influence," I started this:

Detailed.  And Warren Beatty is a pimp.

Slick Shoes

I'm three chapters into The Moviegoer by Walker Percy and loving it.

The Disco Kid

Ive only been kicked in the nuts twice this week... I think its working

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

godardian

""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

context, context, context.

Ravi

Quote from: SoNowThen

Brilliant, as is all KV.

Good book.  My first foray into Vonnegut.

Pwaybloe

Awesome.

Mac looks pretty, uh, unhip.  But we'll blame it on the costume department.

RegularKarate

Quote from: m©gwai

I just finished reading that for the third time.  It gets better each read.

The first time I read it, it blew my mind.  I got to page 124 and it just told me to go back and read page 72 again and, sure enough, there had been something I missed on page 72.

What cover did you got? Mine changes every four days.
context, context, context.