Unbreakable: Yay or Nay?

Started by BrainSushi, August 06, 2003, 12:30:51 PM

Raikus

Quote from: snaporazprobably because they live in a world that simply doesn't fucking exist. and not in the star wars kind of way.
Why on earth do you say that? The entire premise (like all his works) is taking something thought of as fictional and placing it in a real world circumstance. What was so unbelievable about the movie's world aside from the talents of two of its characters?
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

phil marlowe

Quote from: mogwainej.
nä.

rustinglass

jackson's last line "they called me mr glass" was tottaly uncalled for and it pissed me off.

nay...yay :roll:

What I thought was cool was that bruce's security visions were all seen through security camera angles
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

big yay.

the opening shot turning out to be a mirror image was absolutely brilliant, and obviously symbolic of samuel jackson's character.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Big Nay.  Thought the movie was poop because I was waiting for a payoff, and here I am.  Sans pay-off.  That movie was irritating in the sense that you knew what was going to happen next, but you convinced yourself it wasn't because it's too obvious.  When I say you, I mean me, I don't want people to think I'm speaking for them.  Then they'd get mad.

I'm just not that big of a fan of m. night anyway.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Alethia

i liked it....i like shyamalan but my complaint with his movies is that theyre kind of like swiss cheese.  they taste great but there are too many holes.......

NEON MERCURY

:yabbse-thumbup: .its a good film to watch.....the security scene stuff is cool........

Ghostboy

After seeing The Hulk, I started thinking about what Unbreakable would have been like if it had employed a similar editing technique. It would have changed the pacing, which was one of the things I thought was cool, but overall I think it might have been a plus. It's not like it would ruin the surprise that it's about comics and superheroes, since he put those stupid statistics at the very beginning (I really hated that).

Alethia

i kind of agree - it seemed like he did it too quick as well.  like, he knew he had a good idea, and he wrote like what - a draft?  it could have been fleshed out so much more.  the movie just seems like good ideas on top of good ideas - amounting to not very much.  although, i still liked it.......heh. i'll admit, while his writing may not be top notch - M. Night Shyamalan can direct a fucking scene or two - whew.  kinda like signs.......altho he seriously fucked up the end of that movie.  i didnt think his script was great, but jesus christ, he directed that movie brilliantly, up until the ending.....

Ravi

Quote from: ewardheh. i'll admit, while his writing may not be top notch - M. Night Shyamalan can direct a fucking scene or two - whew.

I've thought this about him after seeing Unbreakable and Signs.  If he'd improve his writing (which will probably happen over time), get a good co-writer, or direct someone else's scripts, I might like his films a little more.  I shouldn't be judging a filmmaker based on 3 films (I don't count Praying with Anger and Wide Awake as his major films), but I'm doing it anyways.

oakmanc234

Definate Yah. I think its a nice piece of work. I like how Shamalyn uses over-used (and cheesy) story lines and takes them dead seriously, re-inventing them. I never felt more cheated by a films ending than I did the first time I watched 'Unbreakable' (I still think it should've ended with a bang than a wimper) but I think its wonderful. The score was great (especially in the station scene where Willis realises his powers). Their were little annoyances scattered (the line 'No shooting friends' was a major scene killer) but I think Shamalyn is a fine film-maker.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

snaporaz

Quote from: Raikus
Quote from: snaporazprobably because they live in a world that simply doesn't fucking exist. and not in the star wars kind of way.
Why on earth do you say that? The entire premise (like all his works) is taking something thought of as fictional and placing it in a real world circumstance. What was so unbelievable about the movie's world aside from the talents of two of its characters?

i don't see it like that. i'll take an alien invasion or ghosts to be more plausible than superheroes any day. shyamalan's world is too real to include shit like that. superheroes remind me of crap like the easter bunny or santa claus. i mean, this is what seperates unbreakable from all other super-hero movies...the other movies take place in a world obviously not our own, while unbreakable is supposed to be in ours. but, as i said, unlike shyamalan's other two flicks, i just see superheroes as too absurd to be taken seriously.

and that's just a big thing with me...if a movie is about something too outrageous that takes place in my world, i will almost definately hate it, unless the outrageousness of it is fashioned in a plausible way, like the outrageousness of time travel in 1985, made plausible by the flux capaciter or some shit. i'll see it differently like that. fuck that black knight bullshit.

ProgWRX

I vote yay...

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, save for a couple of scenes and the ending not being up to par with the rest of the movie, but i can still appreciate it...

Sixth Sense totally blew me away when i saw it in the theaters, not knowing anything about the movie when i sat down to see it..  i dont the experience will repeat itself anymore...
-Carlos

Gold Trumpet

Nay. I'll agree with the ones calling it of similarity where the only thing unique and of interest was what the ending is. It felt like a movie that was a built up to that. Also, the idea that an ending has to be kept secret from the audience so the film isn't "ruined" seems to speak on the weakness of the script as well.

~rougerum

oakmanc234

I'd love him to do a follow-up, even though its EXTREMELY unlikely that he will. I've always seen 'Unbreakable' as the first of a trilogy, or the first chapter of some sort of series.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'