Catch Me If U Can....

Started by aclockworkjj, April 28, 2003, 11:22:37 AM

aclockworkjj

Although I didn't like this movie, there were some really nicely set-up shots.  Almost to the point where Spielberg was intentionally being artsy at times.  Now, my question is...do you think after his A.I. experience, he has become more aware of his shot composure and almost changed his visual style a little.  Hence, something very abundent in Kubrick films.  Up until recently, I feel his point of view was pretty straight up.  Maybe I am just noticing his tricks now..but I am starting to enjoy his films more....MR was good.

cowboykurtis

you must be blind. all of his film have always been shot amazing. his visual story telling has always been one of his biggest strengths.
...your excuses are your own...

Redlum

Yeah his films have always looked great but there definately was something about Catch Me If You Can's look.

This was one of my favourite shots:

I also really loved the look of the printing press in France.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

xerxes

i liked catch me if you can... had a really great feel to it

Cecil

me too, actually. its a great film but nothing more. you walk out of the theatre, the movies over and you never really think about it ever again. i wouldnt even watch it again.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: redlum

For instance, I didn't see a shot set-up this nicely...in say... Hook.

Redlum

Quote from: cecil b. dementedme too, actually. its a great film but nothing more. you walk out of the theatre, the movies over and you never really think about it ever again. i wouldnt even watch it again.

Would your reaction to it make it an almost purely entertaining film then? I mean you must have enjoyed watching it, maybe you would again?

Quote from: aclockworkjjFor instance, I didn't see a shot set-up this nicely...in say... Hook.

Ok, good example but there's loads of stuff in ET and that pre dates Hook by about ten years.

Still, Hook did have some redeeming qualities such as this scene:

Captain James Hook: No stopping me this time, Smee. This is it. Don't make a move Smee, not a step. My finger's on the trigger. Don't try to stop me, Smee!
Smee: On, not again.
Captain James Hook: This is it. Don't try to stop me this time, Smee! Don't try to stop me this time, Smee! Don't you dare try to stop me this time, Smee, try to stop me. Smee, you'd better get up off your ass! Get over here, Smee!
Smee: I'm coming! I'm coming!
Captain James Hook: Stop me! This is not a joke! I'm committing suicide!
Captain James Hook: Don't ever fight me like that again!
Smee: I'm sorry.
Captain James Hook: Are you some kind of a sadist?
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Cecil

Quote from: redlumWould your reaction to it make it an almost purely entertaining film then? I mean you must have enjoyed watching it, maybe you would again?

yes, purely entertainment. and maybe i would enjoy myself seeing it again, but i have no reason to, other than possibly enjoying it again and who cares about that cause there are countless other movies i need to see, and others i need to see again because they do more then just "entertain" me, they stay with me after theyre over, they ask questions, ect.

like i said. i enjoyed it, it was great, and nothing more. as soon as it was over i had no more interest in it.

Redlum

so many movies, so little time.
  -  George Lucas

aclockworkjj

Quote from: redlumOk, good example but there's loads of stuff in ET and that pre dates Hook by about ten years.

That is very true....I am not hating on the guy at all, and yeah, maybe I am blind.  But just in general, I have begun appriecating his work much more as of recent.  Even if I didn't care for the movie....(ex. CMIYC, was entertaining, yes, but I won't see it again either, too long, and sorry, I don't like Leo...Walken was sweet though!)...I still have found myself saying, "wow, that is an amazing shot", or "the camera movement there works perfectly"...granted there is Saving Private Ryan, which I won't deny any justice...but even that starts off the movie with a Kirosawa rip-off.  I guess the point I was tryin' to make, was, as Steven grows older...it seems as if he is finding more of a definative style, his own,  that makes him the auteur we all think of him as (not saying it wasn't there, but I think it's more evident now)....then again, I might just be paying more attention now  to the technical side of his films rather than the usually great plots...

MrBurgerKing

For once, aclockwork and I seem to be on the same level. Seems to me Spielberg has developed a distinct visual style from Saving Private Ryan to Catch me if you Can that I didn't notice in his prior work. I wonder if anyone else can third that notion?

MacGuffin

I think you guys need to watch Jaws, Close Encounters, The Color Purple and Schindler's List.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cowboykurtis

Quote from: MrBurgerKingFor once, aclockwork and I seem to be on the same level. Seems to me Spielberg has developed a distinct visual style from Saving Private Ryan to Catch me if you Can that I didn't notice in his prior work. I wonder if anyone else can third that notion?

i think his style is a direct result of the material hes doing. hes always had a strong visual sense. it may just seem different, becuase the material hes directing is so different from his earlier films. schindlers list, private ryan & minority report all had distinct styles that fit the story -- i dont think it has anything to do with him suddenly becoming creatively enlightened. the style he used in ET fit the film, the style in minroty report fit the film, so on and so forth... i think you can see aesthetic similarities in his new films and his old .. however i feel the real reason why people are commneting on his sudden "DISTINCT" style is his consitant working realtionship with Janusz Kaminski(sp?) -- since schindlers list you can see that kaminski has his own visual style that has become directly linked with spielburg.
...your excuses are your own...

MrBurgerKing

That's true, cowboy. I was going to bring up Kaminski's name, but I forgot how to spell it and didn't want to make an ass of myself.

dufresne

Quote from: cowboykurtissince schindlers list you can see that kaminski has his own visual style that has become directly linked with spielburg.

yes, proven by Kaminski's directorial debut...Lost Souls.  his 'look' is all up in that movie.
There are shadows in life, baby.