the smiths / morrissey

Started by phil marlowe, March 30, 2003, 12:18:24 PM

MacGuffin

Reminder to those interested: Starting tonight, Morrissey will be on Craig Kilborn every night this week.

http://www.cbs.com/latenight/latelate/guest/
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

godardian

A rumor that's gone out on the 'net (supposedly, ticket holders are receiving this e-mail):

Apparently, this notice has gone out:

As a ticket holder for tonight's taping of The Late Late Show with Craig
Kilborn we wanted to inform you that tonight's performance with Morrissey
has been postponed as he is sick. The taping will still take place, but
Morrissey will not be in attendance. We are sorry for any inconvenience
and will inform you when he is rescheduled as soon as we have more
information. Thank you.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Sigur Rós

Morrissey said yesterday that Britney Spears is the Devil.  :twisted:

Pas

Really ? Where ? God Morrissey is great

godardian

Quote from: Pas RapportReally ? Where ? God Morrissey is great

It's a quote from last week's Entertainment Weekly- they had a huge piece about him with a full-page photo and three pages of article including long and interesting Q&A.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

godardian

Ghostboy

Well, in the two weeks I've had this, I've been listening to it almost non-stop. I think 'Come Back To Camden' and 'I Like You' are my favorites -- those are the ones that send a little recognitive thrill down my spine when the first notes issue from my shuffled iTunes playlist. One seems to be about bittersweet acceptance, the other is all about the lofty giddiness of those first sparks between two people, and at opposite ends of the emotional spectrum I find them quite compatible, highly relatable, and endlessly listenable.

I also love the fiery politics of 'Irish Blood, English Heart,' and 'America' has grown on me, even though I still shudder at the lyric about the hamburger (although maybe its just because I hate hamburgers?) And even though it's a B-side, I think 'The Never Played Symphonies' also ranks with the best songs on the album.

godardian

If you go here and click "Play this show again," you can hear Nancy Sinatra's version of "Let Me Kiss You" (which is one of my favorites on this excellent new album) with M. himself on backing vox at about the 17 minute mark. No fast-forwarding, so have something you can do for 17 minutes (although, really, you could do worse than hearing 17 minutes of Janice Long's selections).

Redlum

Listening to the new Morrissey album on the back of 'First of the Gang to Die', and my discovery of 'This Charming Man' by the Smiths. The rest of the album annoys the hell out of me. All the other tracks are so on-the-nail it really ruins what is a musically sound album. When I hear 'Labour' and 'Conservative' in a lyric I'm not really going to think 'oh he's so smart, he's being political'.
I like the songs where he's telling stories in the lyrics because if he's trying to say something in those (like the first two tracks I mentioned) at least he's not kicking me in the teeth with it like some shouting and wailing, political punk band. Disapointed more than anything, really. I  love 'First of the Gang to Die'. Cunning first single choice.

So I went and listened to Ellito Smith - Figure 8 and enjoyed myself!
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

godardian

Quote from: ®edlumListening to the new Morrissey album on the back of 'First of the Gang to Die', and my discovery of 'This Charming Man' by the Smiths. The rest of the album annoys the hell out of me. All the other tracks are so on-the-nail it really ruins what is a musically sound album. When I hear 'Labour' and 'Conservative' in a lyric I'm not really going to think 'oh he's so smart, he's being political'.
I like the songs where he's telling stories in the lyrics because if he's trying to say something in those (like the first two tracks I mentioned) at least he's not kicking me in the teeth with it like some shouting and wailing, political punk band. Disapointed more than anything, really. I  love 'First of the Gang to Die'. Cunning first single choice.

So I went and listened to Ellito Smith - Figure 8 and enjoyed myself!

What about "I Have Forgiven Jesus," "Come Back to Camden," "Let Me Kiss You," "All the Lazy Dykes," and "You Know I Couldn't Last"?

The songs containing the things you say you're annoyed by constitute the minority of the album. The songs I've mentioned are all more "story" songs, the kind you say you prefer, and I think they're all excellent, particularly "Camden" and "You Know I Couldn't Last," which rings more anthemic every time I hear it.

Aren't all punk bands "political," anyway? I think almost all of the good ones are: The Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Jam, X-Ray Spex, The Adverts, etc. Even The Ramones and the Buzzcocks are implicitly political, especially the latter.

godardian

http://www.morrisseymusic.com/newsitem.asp?id=89

OCTOBER 27, 2004
With all my heart I urge people to vote against George Bush. Jon Stewart would be ideal, but John Kerry is the logical and sane move. It does not need to be said yet again, but Bush has single-handedly turned the United States into the most neurotic and terror-obsessed country on the planet. For non-Americans, the United States is suddenly not a very nice place to visit because US immigration officers – under the rules of Bush – now conduct themselves with all the charm and unanswerable indignation of Hitler's SS.
Please bring sanity and intelligence back to the United States.
Don't forget to vote.
Vote for John Kerry and get rid of George Bush!

godardian

Sleuth

he's on Letterman tonight I think
I like to hug dogs

UncleJoey

Info on expanded You Are the Quarry release here
Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit . . . and Jack just left town.

MacGuffin

OH MY GOD!!!!

Please let the rumors (and my dreams) come true:

Smiths duo regrouping for UK cancer benefit

NEW YORK (Billboard) - Smiths guitarist Johnny Marr and bassist Andy Rourke will perform together at an English charity show January 28 for the first time since the legendary act split up in 1987.

Rourke is overseeing the lineup for the Manchester v. Cancer show at the Evening News Arena, which will also feature New Order, Doves, Badly Drawn Boy, Primal Scream's Mani, and Stephen Fretwell. Rumors have circulated that former Smiths frontman Morrissey will be involved in the show but at present there's no indication he will participate.

"Andy told me about this project he was involved in and of course I literally stood up and applauded," Marr said in an audio interview posted on the event's official Web site (http://www.manchestervcancer.co.uk). "I said I'd get involved if he needed any help. Absolutely glad to do it. It's a privilege to do it. It's not the easiest thing in the world to get something like this together, because it has to be on a fairly big scale for it to be significant."

The Smiths' unhappy breakup has of late been back in the news, after former drummer Mike Joyce attempted to sell unreleased Smiths material on eBay. Morrissey responded by posting a detailed account of the lawsuits Joyce has filed for back royalties in recent years on the fan site True to You (http://www.true-to-you.net/).

Tickets for Manchester v. Cancer go on sale Saturday via Ticketmaster. "It will bring together people and bands that have made Manchester famous," Rourke said. "The idea is that this will be the start of an annual event to raise money for charity whether it is helping cancer or arthritis."

:multi: :onfire: :multi: :onfire: :multi: :onfire: :multi: :onfire: :multi: :onfire: :multi: :onfire: :multi: :onfire: :multi: :onfire: :multi: :onfire: :multi: :onfire:
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks