When one of us makes it big...

Started by ©brad, May 23, 2003, 10:45:36 AM

©brad

... are you still going to keep in touch here at Xixax?

It's only a matter of time before one of us breaks into Hollywood. the amount of talent/intelligence among most of the members on this board is irrefutable, and even though Hollywood is not merit-based (bringing down the house anyone?) i have no doubt in my mind that at least one if not more of us will make it.

SOOOooo... I only hope that if we do get the break of our lives we continue to keep in touch here. how great will it be when one of us get a movie in wide release? better yet, enough movies made to deserve their own director's forum!!! I would love to come home after the premiere of my first movie, or better yet the next morning after a long night of celebration, and see what everyone thinks (yea, even u GT) and hopefully join in on the mass xixax festivities.

so, here's a shotout to all of u struggling filmmakers. keep ur head up and keep reaching for that shiny silver screen. u'll get it someday.

SoNowThen

Forget "one of us". How about "all of us". And I can forgoe "big" for just "making good films".

I have a vision -- it's a table full of young filmmakers, sitting at Cannes sometime down the road. And someone says an Xixax in-joke, then slowly we all turn around and go "you... too?" and realize we already all know each other.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pubrick

yeah, sure, why not.

if moby can do it.  :shock:

how seriously is everyone taking it tho? i mean, there's a lot of dreamers here no doubt, but.. i spose it can happen.
under the paving stones.

Xixax

Aah... That's the whole reason I started this board!

So that I could rub shoulders with famous people.

Actually, I intended it to be a place where people who like to make indie movies on video or film could exchange ideas, because that interests me. On that level I think it's starting to succeed.

I also wanted it to be a place where I could get movie recommendations from other film fans, and on that level it has definitely been a big success.

All I ask is that someday when one of you big hollywood directors needs a mid-thirtyish goateed fat guy for a small part in your movie that you'll keep 'ol Xixax in mind (headshots available on request).  :)
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Pubrick

Quote from: Xixax(headshots available on request).  :)

no need, this pic covers 90% of the board:

under the paving stones.

Sigur Rós

I won't keep in touch. I'll buy you all a new car and a model wife!

godardian

Quote from: P™

:lol:
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

MacGuffin

Quote from: P™no need, this pic covers 90% of the board:

I must be in the other 10 %:
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

You forgot the pizza-faced kid.
My house, my rules, my coffee

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: P™

this gets my vote for one of the fucking funniest posts ever ........EVER !!!!!

i was at the movies the other day and i saw this huge fat guy and he had this overcoat on and a indiana jones fedora on and a scarf and he looked about 21

and the whole time i was looking at him, i was thinking

when he is on the internet he must be king, but take him out of setting and well  :cry:

BonBon85

Scenario A: We spend page after page arguing the merits of the film and ultimately conclude it was a PTA rip off.
Scenario B: We're all extra nice to the filmmaker because we hold dreams of big connections.

godardian

I would probably only ever "make it big" as a film writer (where any achievement, which is not to say interest, I might have seems to lie). So, if anyone wants to be the one fan who shows up at my future readings in the basement of your local Borders, I'd be happy to borrow a pen from the squeaky-voiced clerk and autograph your copy of Leave Me Alone, Don't Touch Me!: A History of Adolescent-Angst pictures from Rebel Without a Causeto Ghost World.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Duck Sauce

What percent of this board is an aspiring filmmaker? I know Im not, and I might be in the minority, but if I was going to make films and I did make it big time I think Id still post here, I mean you guys dont know who I really am anyways.... I like this place

Cecil

well i doubt i would ever make it big, but i plan on keeping in touch here as long as i live (or as long as the site lives). worse case scenario is that i only post a few times a week if i get really busy.

Redlum

I'd like sonowthens Cannes festival idea. I sometimes think about this kind of thing but then tell myself to stop it, like I'm jinxing it or something.

"Rita, just because I've made it big - doesn't mean I'm going to forget you"
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas