Dogville

Started by Weak2ndAct, July 12, 2003, 04:39:50 AM

context, context, context.

i apologize if this has been discussed already; i did not see it in this thread: did anyone on first or seconde glance notice similarities to 'vivre sa vie'? the music, the titles

samsong

Quote from: 03i apologize if this has been discussed already; i did not see it in this thread: did anyone on first or seconde glance notice similarities to 'vivre sa vie'? the music, the titles

I saw Vivre sa vie - one of my very favorite films - after having seen Dogville and described it to my friend who hadn't seen it as, among other things, the narrative/stylistic blueprint for Dogville.  I'm glad I'm not the only one who made the connection.

Just Withnail

If this turns out to be one of the cases where you get a couple hundred "I noticed it too"-replies, then I figure I'll just chime in early and not be one of the slow guys.

I noticed it too.

cine

I just watched this tonight.

And I agree with Mutinyco and GT.  :(

picolas

i love it.

thread rebalanced :!:

Jeremy Blackman

I'd like to remind everybody that you can vote ANY film from 2004 as the BEST FILM for the XIXAX AWARDS.

Couldn't think of a good thread to put this in.. so I chose this one.. DOGVILLE.. at random.

Thanks.

modage

Yes, ANY film.  Regardless if it was an animated one, or one about superheroes.  

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

kotte

How was this overlooked at the Oscars??

If nothing else, how the fuck did they miss Kidman's performance in it? Best performance of the year.

Is the direction Oscar only about camera-movements? How about directing actors? Von Trier did something amazing in this film.

Pubrick

Quote from: kotteIs the direction Oscar only about camera-movements? How about directing actors?
not since they nominated atom egoyan for the sweet hereafter hav they displayed any knowledge of what a director does.
under the paving stones.

Finn

I certainly wasn't expecting it to be nominated for any Oscars just because the Academy hates unique and different movies. If it was up to me, it would've been up for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actress, etc...
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

UncleJoey

The Academy didn't shun Dogville because it hates unique films. It shunned it because it wasn't very good.
Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit . . . and Jack just left town.

Sara Shagal

Yay for Dogville.

rustinglass

Quote from: Pubrick
not since they nominated atom egoyan for the sweet hereafter hav they displayed any knowledge of what a director does.

come on... polanski winning was great.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Pubrick

Quote from: rustinglass
Quote from: Pubrick

come on... polanski winning was great.
that win was motivated by pity.
under the paving stones.