Al Pacino

Started by ShanghaiOrange, July 16, 2003, 09:21:45 PM

ShanghaiOrange

Listen to this:

An anagram of Al Pacino is "a cop in LA"

In the movie "Heat" Al Pacino plays a cop in LA.

I figured that out all by myself. :(
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

polkablues

"YOU'RE TEARING THIS BOARD APART!!!"

You couldn't hear it, but that was a flawless Pacino impression.
My house, my rules, my coffee

TheVoiceOfNick

That's like... pretty cool... so you have no day job, right?

Nick

dufresne

i just saw Dog Day Afternoon for the very first time tonight.  Pacino is excellent.
There are shadows in life, baby.

chainsmoking insomniac

That's my fave Pacino movie.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Gold Trumpet

Of the actors that can get away with doing nothing while being confused for acting, Pacino is the most interesting.

But, when Pacino actually can dive into a role, he's one of the best.

~rougerum

rustinglass

I really like the film he directed: Looking for Richard
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

aclockworkjj

John Milton: Look, but don't touch. Touch, but don't taste. Taste, but don't swallow.

TheVoiceOfNick

Pacino has really gone downhill as of late... i'd like to block out the last 5 years of my Pacino knowledge from existence.

Nick

SoNowThen

Quote from: aclockworkjjJohn Milton: Look, but don't touch. Touch, but don't taste. Taste, but don't swallow.

...he's laughin' his SICK FUCKING ASS OFF!!

and then later... "I'm a FAN OF MAN! I'm a humanist."

classic
and so true -- who could deny the 20th century was entirely his?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pubrick

Quote from: SoNowThenwho could deny the 20th century was entirely his?
me.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Pacino's subtle performance in "Donnie Brasco" is one of the best of his career. It's not showy of flashy as his work in "Devil's Advocate" or "Heat", but it's very internal. It's so heartbreaking in his final scene when he knows what's going to happen to him and his prepares for it; leaving his rings and wallet for his girlfriend to find later.  :cry:
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

yeah, so true. I really think it's my fav Pacino performance, maybe hand in hand with his Ricky Roma in GGR.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Alethia

while the film may not hold up to this, my favorite pacino moment is at the end of godfather 3, when he breaks down on the steps of the church..................................i think it's under appreciated tho cuz we were glad to see sofia coppola die...............good director, she is, tho.

man.

©brad

Quote from: polkablues"YOU'RE TEARING THIS BOARD APART!!!"

hehe. nah, i could name a few who are tho. but not shanghai. he's cool, he's just too sad all the time.