The 78th Annual Academy Awards: Winners List on Page 7

Started by MacGuffin, January 05, 2006, 12:48:07 AM

squints

I just realized the only movie i've seen that is nominated for BP is Munich. So..i guess i want that to win?
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

modage

Quote from: Thrindle on March 05, 2006, 03:44:50 PM
I'm so fucking sick of everyone I meet saying, "My god, Crash Brokeback Mountain was AMAZING, it was the best movie ever, everyone should see Crash Brokeback Mountain, it was so deep, everyone is racist gay, can you believe that?"

Quote from: 78th Annual Academy Awards
BEST MOTION PICTURE OF THE YEAR
BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN
CAPOTE
CRASH
GOOD NIGHT, AND GOOD LUCK.
MUNICH
out of the films nominated i hope Munich wins though i know it doesnt have a shot.  it was really the most interesting that i've seen of the bunch (though i havent seen Capote yet).  if not that, then Good Night And Good Luck, though small i think was the next best.  and then, since they're going to give it to them anyways i wont be terribly upset that Brokeback wins because its a good very old fashioned love story and Hollywood likes giving awards to films like that.  switch the genders and you've got a pretty boring love story, but a well told one.  i suppose it's inevitable and atleast it was better than Crash. 

Quote from: 78th Annual Academy AwardsPERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
Philip Seymour Hoffman - CAPOTE
Terrence Howard - HUSTLE & FLOW
Heath Ledger - BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN
Joaquin Phoenix - WALK THE LINE
David Strathairn - GOOD NIGHT, AND GOOD LUCK.
i've actually seen everybody except PSH here and since he seems to be Ledgers only real competition and because i really like him i REALLY HOPE HE WINS.  i'm not sure who everybody else saw onscreen when they watched BM but Heath Ledger was really not that great.  he was pretty great FOR HEATH LEDGER because you didn't laugh your way out of the theatre but thats only because you're comparing this 'Oscar winning turn' with his previous work in popcorn fare like A Knights Tale and The Patriot.  the other actors here are always great so it's kind of hard to 'notice' how great they are because you take it for granted.  but when somebody like Halle Berry or Charlize Theron or in this case Heath Ledger does something a little better than usual in a different kind of film it's time to break out the awards.  i really did not like him in this film, and i like everybody in every film.  he bugged me though.  so let it be ANYBODY but him PLEASE god do not give Heath Ledger an oscar.

Quote from: 78th Annual Academy AwardsPERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
George Clooney - SYRIANA
Matt Dillon - CRASH
Paul Giamatti - CINDERELLA MAN
Jake Gyllenhaal - BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN
William Hurt - A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE
i've seen everybody here and it's too bad that only Hurt and Giamatti actually give supporting performances and everybody else is leading.  the supporting actor oscar was not invented for big stars to win.  if your name is on the poster, if you're a box office draw, you're not supporting anybody.  BUT it is a weird year when all the usual supporting players like Hoffman, Howard, Phoenix and Straitharn are all in the leading category they still need to find a way to give Clooney and Dillon some love.  whatever, its bullshit.  i dont care who wins here as long as it's not matt dillon.  'Oscar Winner Matt Dillon' just does not sound right and everybody else was better.  though it would have been nice for Giamatti to get recognized for Sideways he is more in his element here playing 2nd fiddle in his usual SUPPORTING role so maybe it'd be good for him to win. 

Quote from: 78th Annual Academy AwardsPERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
Judi Dench - MRS. HENDERSON PRESENTS
Felicity Huffman - TRANSAMERICA
Keira Knightley - PRIDE & PREJUDICE
Charlize Theron - NORTH COUNTRY
Reese Witherspoon - WALK THE LINE
of the two performances i've seen (Pride & Prejudice and Walk the Line) i dont really care who wins here either.  they were both good.  Keira is too young to win, so that'd probably mess her up so let Reese have it and hopefully like i mentioned in the WTL thread she can try on some more challenging (but not totally obvious oscar baiting) roles in the future.  though it is the same sort of 'we never expected YOU to act' vote that ledger might get, it'd still be encouraging.  but not Charlize again, we dont need another Swanksuation on our hands. 

Quote from: 78th Annual Academy AwardsPERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Amy Adams - JUNEBUG
Catherine Keener - CAPOTE
Frances McDormand - NORTH COUNTRY
Rachel Weisz - THE CONSTANT GARDENER
Michelle Williams - BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN
i hope Rachel Weisz wins because she deserves it (though that was also probably a leading role).  she's always great and i think she's at a Cate Blanchett sort of place that an Oscar wont torpedo her career or force it into unneccesary directions.  she'll just continue to be great.  that said i really liked Amy Adams but if she continues to be great i'm sure she'll have an oscar one day. 

Quote from: 78th Annual Academy AwardsACHIEVEMENT IN DIRECTING
Ang Lee - BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN
Bennett Miller - CAPOTE
Paul Haggis - CRASH
George Clooney - GOOD NIGHT, AND GOOD LUCK.
Steven Spielberg - MUNICH
Munich was the best directed film but it doesnt have a chance in hell so you can let Ang Lee have this one.  he did a good job so of all Brokeback's nominations i think this is the one it deserves most.  i like Clooney and i like him a lot as a director but i'm tired of seeing actors win best director oscars.  it just shows that more actors vote for the oscars than directors do and it's dumb. 

Quote from: 78th Annual Academy AwardsADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Larry McMutry & Diana Ossana - BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN
Dan Futterman - CAPOTE
Jeffery Caine - THE CONSTANT GARDENER
Josh Olson - A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE
Tony Kushner and Eric Roth - MUNICH
again Munich and then A History of Violence.  not that Brokeback wont win.

Quote from: 78th Annual Academy AwardsORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Paul Haggis and Bobby Moresco - CRASH
George Clooney and Grant Heslov - GOOD NIGHT, AND GOOD LUCK.
Woody Allen - MATCH POINT
Noah Baumbach - THE SQUID AND THE WHALE
Steven Gaghan - SYRIANA
i really would've liked Squid and the Whale to win this because it's the best of the bunch and in a more normal year i think it might've had a chance (since this is where the rewarding usually gets done to the best films that dont get recognized elsewhere) but with bridesmaid Crash and GNAGL in the running i dont think it has a shot.  sad that it couldnt even get love at the Independent Spirit Awards. 

Quote from: 78th Annual Academy AwardsBEST ANIMATED FEATURE FILM OF THE YEAR
HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE
TIM BURTON'S CORPSE BRIDE
WALLACE & GROMIT IN THE CURSE OF THE WERE-RABBIT
i didnt see Howls yet, (this week) but of the other two they were both exceptionally well animated though Corpse Bride songs and story were pretty blah.  so while it'd be cool for Burton to have an Oscar, give it to Wallace & Gromit cause Miyazaki already has one for Spirited Away and because their studio burned down.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pozer

Quote from: modage on March 05, 2006, 04:28:23 PM
Quote from: Thrindle on March 05, 2006, 03:44:50 PM
I'm so fucking sick of everyone I meet saying, "My god, Crash Brokeback Mountain was AMAZING, it was the best movie ever, everyone should see Crash Brokeback Mountain, it was so deep, everyone is racist gay, can you believe that?"
I completely get you now.  This post defines you more so than any of the ones in The New World thread.  How many people you know or meet really say all that?  You know the praise for Crash is much greater by those same people.  I think, if anything, it's the critical hype and praise you're sick of.  Don't say that the annoyance compares to or is greater than that of Crash for sake of a clever post.  Just don't.

modage

yes i'm more sick of hearing about how great brokeback mountain is than i am from hearing about how great crash is.  for the most part i dont hear many people talking about crash and everywhere i turn somebody is praising brokeback to death.  its not that great and i'm tired of hearing about it.   :finger:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Thrindle

Quote from: modage on March 05, 2006, 05:15:03 PM
yes i'm more sick of hearing about how great brokeback mountain is than i am from hearing about how great crash is.  for the most part i dont hear many people talking about crash and everywhere i turn somebody is praising brokeback to death.  its not that great and i'm tired of hearing about it.   :finger:
Well, I feel the exact opposite.  I'm sick of hearing so many people in my town praise Crash for it's "incredibly insightful messages", and then turn around and shit on Brokeback because it's a "homo film".  A little hypocritical don't you think?

It's like Crash would be the scapegoat for why Brokeback won't win.  Oh yeah, we didn't embrace homosexuality, but look, WE AREN"T RACIST! 
And that's a piss off because Brokeback Mountain IS a better film than Crash.
Classic.

modage

understandable.  i think its bad if either/any film wins because its pushing an agenda.  'we arent racist.' or 'we arent homophobes'.  it'd be cool if the best films won because they were best regardless of their messages or social issues.  but Brokeback was a better film than Crash so if it's between the two i'd rather Brokeback won.

NEON MERCURY

:bravo: racheal!!

now the studio can finally release/market  the fountain..and include "academy award winner......."

Ravi

Best part of the opening skit- David Letterman.

NEON MERCURY

hahahhahahahahaha.........i love those "extras" in the crash song..

its so deep

grand theft sparrow

ono

Haha.  He looks better than I thought he would.  His voice is a little shaky, but maybe that's just nerves.  Great to see him get his due, and his speech was great too.

Talk about a swing in momemtum though: that pimp song is awful.  What an embarrassment.

..and the Oscars are invalidated for life.  INSERT RIGHTEOUS INDIGNATION HERE.  At least Jack presented the award with style, but can I get a barf bag to go with this flight?

I Don't Believe in Beatles

"A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later." --Stanley Kubrick

Thrindle

Classic.

modage