R.I.P. Bob Hope

Started by Pwaybloe, July 28, 2003, 03:14:59 PM

Pwaybloe

Bob Hope, beloved comedian, actor, emcee, ambassador, and emissary, passed away last night (7/27) at his home in Toluca Lake. He had turned 100 on May 29th.

Hope starred in over 60 movies and his success spanned vaudeville, radio, television, and the big screen. Hope, along with Bing Crosby and Dorothy Lamour, starred in the popular "Road to.." movies as well as headlining such films as The Seven Little Foys, The Paleface, and The Great Lover. On the small screen during the '60s and '70s, Hope's Christmas and comedy specials were a treasured staple, expanding on the formula of girls and gags from his U.S.O. tours.

It's for these tours, particularly during World War II, the Korean war, and Vietnam war, that Hope endeared himself to U.S. servicemen and for which, in 1997, Hope was awarded the status of "Honorary Veteran" by the U.S. Congress. No other civilian holds the honor.

Watch your local listings for tributes galore.

ono

*blink*

Didn't mogwai or someone already post a thread about this?

Anyway, RIP.  :(  Heard on the radio he went peacefully.  That's some consolation.

Pubrick

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaDidn't mogwai or someone already post a thread about this?
haha i dreamt that too.  :yabbse-undecided:

anyway, he was 100, of course it was peaceful. the last 30yrs everyone's been waiting for it to come. no surprise, RIP tho.
under the paving stones.

TheVoiceOfNick

Both Bob Hope and George Burns went at 100... I think i'm in the wrong line of work!

Nick

filmcritic

Did anyone see that Larry King Bob Hope tribute last night?
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

Gold Trumpet

If you picked July and/or 2003, you've won the pool.

~rougerum