Queens of the Stone Age

Started by Gamblour., March 28, 2005, 10:41:23 PM

Gamblour.

Quite possibly the best thing rock has going for it right now. Not to mention Dave Grohl's dipped his sticks in this fucker. Songs for the Deaf is a fucking amazing CD. They walk the line between kickass and parody so finely, you rock to it and know deep down they're shamelessly doing it because they love how it rocks and how hilarious it all is.

The new CD Lullabies to Paralyze was hard to get into. It's much darker, not in a heavy way, but lyrically and tonally. It's very Halloween, songs like Burn the Witch (which is really like classic rock/blues), Someone's in the Wolf, This Lullaby, The Blood is Love all weigh the album down. The album is at its best when it leans towards pop. Little Sister is maybe one of my favorites. They slow it down a bit for this album too, I Never Came is pretty sedated and melancholy.

Once I finally gave it a few spins, I liked it a lot. And Jack Black claps on Burn the Witch for a moment, who can't enjoy that?

The self-titled CD is decent. The first three songs kick ass, but from there it's all distorted bass and blah blah blah. Rated R is fuck-yeah amazing. It really grooves through bits. Leg of Lamb, Lost Art..., In The Fade. Tension Head sounds like it could fit on Lullabies.

Anyhow. Josh Homme is one badass mother fucker. And Joey Castillo kicks major ass on the new cd.
WWPTAD?

Pubrick

all in all, they hav the best band name ever.
under the paving stones.

Stefen

Not only do they have the best band name ever, but they ARE the best band ever. Josh Homme is the PTA of music. Gamblor have you heard the desert sessions? particulary volumes nine and ten, best albums ever. Gamblor, your enthusiastic love of the mars volta and qotsa is quickly making me love you, hit me up on aim. ahaha im not even gay, totally straight. ARE YOU?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pedro

They're awesome.  Not the best band ever, but they're great.  Their new album is really great, and I don't know what this whole "hard to get into" thing is.  It seems really accessible to me...

All in all, one of the best straight ahead rock bands around.

Stefen

I think people were expecting another songs for the deaf cause that was the accesible album. But this new album is alot different, and imo alot better. in my head is fantastic and is vintage qotsa. maybe Nick getting kicked out the band and Grohl not playing drums had something to do with people not digging the new album. I've heard alot people claim qotsa was a superband when i always thought they were Hommes side project that became permanent after Kyuss.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Sleuth

I think they're pretty good, a good bunch of solid songs.  Easily one of the best "rock" bands, but they are WAY too repetitive (mainly on Songs for the Deaf).  The new one is the best
I like to hug dogs

Gamblour.

Quote from: SleuthI think they're pretty good, a good bunch of solid songs.  Easily one of the best "rock" bands, but they are WAY too repetitive (mainly on Songs for the Deaf).  The new one is the best

How do you think Songs for the Deaf is repetitive? Just curious, because I can't stand QOTSA self-titled for that same reason, but it's more apparent there, every song is a distorted, low bass nightmare.

Stefen, I haven't heard the Desert Sessions, but I really want/need to.
WWPTAD?

Pubrick

Quote from: Gamblor Ain'tWorthADollarStefen, I haven't heard the Desert Sessions, but I really want/need to.
they are extremely replayable. third day repeat listening. good stuff.
under the paving stones.

Sleuth

I haven't heard the s/t, only Rated R, Songs for the Deaf, and Lullabies etc.  I just think that on Songs there's so much repetition, and when things do change it's got like no momentum behind it.  It's hard for me to listen to any of the full albums as albums (including the desert sessions that i've heard) for that reason, but I can deal with it.  I really appreciate the effort (really!).  I would still rather listen to Eagles of Death Metal though.
I like to hug dogs

Gamblour.

Stuck In The Metal With You - brilliant.
WWPTAD?

GoneSavage

EODM was my favorite rock record of 2004.

I really like the new Queens record.  As most people are saying, Nick's absense means nothing to me and Mark's smaller role is a disappointment.  This reminds me of the first record a lot, which is probably my favorite.  Not sure why everyone wanted a repeat of SOTD ... I love that record but as a whole it's the weakest release to me.  I'm glad In My Head made the leap from Desert Sessions to the Queens disc.  Sometimes I feel bad that some quality stuff from Desert Sessions is left virtually unheard.  Since Queens has always been a rotating lineup sprinkled with guest spots, I think Desert Sessions should just be Queens.  Little Sister was obviously written for the radio and I'm not sure the big deal made over the Dalle/Manson "contribution".  Although just the thought of those two women in the same room quickens my heartrate.  A great album, thank you Joshua.

NEON MERCURY

soneone who use to post here [european son] got me into them.  i think they are incredible.  they area real fucking rock band.  which is a scarce thing in todays music. sad to see phasing out of lanegan.  my favorite song on songs for the deaf was that coked out bliss songs for the dead.  that shit ruled man.  i own all of their shit.  even the "lost" album or whatever it was.  and like stefen said deseert sessions IX and X  is solid.

as for th enew album-love it!   i never came is my favorite track.  neat chorus harmonies........

and i like someones in the wolf :(

Gamblour.

Just to be a stupid kid, I"m going to list my favorite tracks off of Lullabies to Paraylze:

1. Little Sister
2. I Never Came and In My Head
3. Someone's in the Wolf
4. Everybody Knows You're Insane (which pitchforkmedia said was 'misogynistic' the stupid fuckers)
5. Tangled Up In Plaid
6. Broken Box and The Blood is Love
7. Medication

Ah fuck it, they're all awesome. I only have problems with Lullaby because it's not good, Burn the Witch because it's too, I dunno, simplistic in the main riff. Skin on Skin is just too dirty for me, I have to shower after listening to that song.

In My Head has some really 'sweet' lyrics, they're very honest and not overly poetic, but they emote longing. Very cool.

Neon, you are the shit, I think A Song for the Dead is quite possibly one of the best songs written in the past 10 years. That's arbitrary, but it's a breakthrough in rock n roll.
WWPTAD?

Stefen

check out the demo of in my head on the desert sessions vol 10. or just pm me and ill send it to you.

Gamblour.

They performed on SNL tonight. During "Little Sister" Will Ferrell got on stage as the Blue Oyster Cult guy and was playing the cowbell with them. It was one of the best SNL moments ever.
WWPTAD?