Best Cover

Started by kotte, November 03, 2003, 03:56:26 PM

Film Student

Quote from: polkabluesJimi's version of "Watchtower" is the obvious choice, but then there's also Jeff Buckley's cover of the Smith's "Boy With The Thorn In His Side", Mayfield Four's cover of Marvin Gaye's "Inner City Blues" (BEYOND good... absolutely amazing), and A Perfect Circle's version of "The Nurse Who Loved Me" might be the best song I've heard in the last two years.  Of course, most reviews I've read of the album didn't even know the song was a cover.   :?

I saw Mayfield Four do a cover of "Baba O'Riley" that was absolutely incredible...

Must also heartily agree with you on Buckley's Smiths cover and ESPECIALLY APC's Failure Cover... seeing them March 23rd, and I REALLY hope they play the Nurse Who Loved Me with Brion's instrumentation...
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

Pas

Ray Charles - Eleanor Rigby

I win

mogwai

joe pesci - i will always love you

bigperm

a few more,

The Gourds, "Gin & Juice"
as for the white stripes, I think their best is on their second album, "Death Letter Blues" by Son House.

I heard the Drive By Truckers do "Hey Ya" the other day, nothing to great though.
Safe As Milk

The Obstruction

Quote from: RegularKarateGypsi King's Hotel California
This is a fantastic cover, espcielly because i get the pic of Turturro nuture his bowling ball.

But what about AGONY SCENE - PAINT IT BLACK which i think is almost better than The STONES' version
"I don't like the word ironic. I like the word absurdity, and I don't really understand the word 'irony' too much. The irony comes when you try to verbalize the absurd. When irony happens without words, it's much more exalted." David Lynch

pete

dolly parton's cover of collective soul's "shine"
kiss' cover of rolling stones' "2000 man"
jeff buckley does "hallelujah"
nina simone has a whole album of great covers, especially "I shall be released" and "here comes the sun"
richie havens does "just like a woman"
betty carter does anything
both cowboy junkies and al green's version of "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry."
and finally
pretenders' cover of "crimson and clover"

oh and here's my cover of a familiar song:
watch
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

cine

Quote from: peteoh and here's my cover of a familiar song:
watch
Pete.

That was gold.

End of story.

NEON MERCURY

jessucka simpson covering berlin's "take my breath away"........

Oh!, how maverick and iceman would be so proud.....

except she needs to enunciate the "walking in slo-motion"..part better.

pete

I remember when I first came to America, I was like 13, and I went to the mall's record store 'cause I wanted the top gun soundtrack.  I didn't remember the name of the movie so I just told the guy I was looking for music from this old movie that went like this: "dah dah dah dah dah" as I hummed the first five notes of "Take My Breath Away" and the guy went "yeah sure" and then came back with Sister Act ("I Will Follow Him.")
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Bethie

Quote from: bluemindedwhat about PEARL JAM!!!

i think pearl jam is one of the bands that have made more covers...and i think theyre great! sometimes the song sounds much better!...and hearing those covers alive is just...just.... :shock:

i saw them on july 17 and 19 here in Mexico City.
the last concert (that was also the last one of the whole tour) was just amazing. They played some covers:LAST KISS, YOUVE GOT TO HIDE YOUR LOVE AWAY,KEEP ON  ROCKING IN THE FREE WORLD, I BELIVE IN MIRACLES, HUNGER STRIKE (i dont know if i can call this last one a cover....but it was awasome)and some of them with the help of sleater kinney...
they also play with a "mariachi" LAS MAÑANITAS (a birthday song) because of stone gossard's birthday; they wore "el santo" masks....it was incredible. one of my favourite concerts.

Definitely. Pearl Jam has done mega covers. I absolutely love their versions of Driven To Tears (The Police), Fortunate Son (CCR), Sonic Reducer (Dead Boys), Crazy Mary (Victoria Williams), Baba O'Riley (The Who), and of course all the songs you have already mentioned.

Other covers:
Stone Temple Pilots - Dancing Days (Led Zeppelin)
Stone Temple Pilots - Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Pink Floyd)
Black Crowes - Hard To Handle (Otis Redding)
John Melloncamp - Wild Nights (Van Morrison)
Joss Stone - Fell in Love With a Boy (The White Stripes)
The Eagles - Ol' 55 (Tom Waits)
Bruce Springsteen - Jersey Girl (Tom Waits)

Like every artist has covered Bob Dylan- Knockin' on Heaven's Door or some other Dylan tune. Dylan rules all.
who likes movies anyway

Pedro

Quote from: BethieJoss Stone - Fell in Love With a Boy (The White Stripes)
aahhhhrrrrraggggarrrahhhhhhhhhh!!!

El Duderino

aimee man- "one"
and
Pete- "can you feel the love tonight"
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Gloria

:yabbse-thumbup:

Pedro

Quote from: Gloria

:yabbse-thumbup:
:yabbse-thumbdown:

Pas

Quote from: N the E digital O rape Njessucka simpson covering berlin's "take my breath away"........

Oh!, how maverick and iceman would be so proud.....

except she needs to enunciate the "walking in slo-motion"..part better.

Neon Mercury is underrated.

And I believe Joss Stone is a stupid person.