Robert Duvall

Started by meatball, September 18, 2004, 10:34:54 PM

meatball

I just read this great article on Duvall, Hoffman and Hackman in their youth as struggling actors -- and their lives were basically made up of two things -- women and acting. It sounded like a rough lifestyle but amusing, and of the three friends it seems like Duvall was the one left behind in a way. He never really "made" it as big as Hoffman and Hackman did. Which is too bad, because he's consistently good in the work I've seen him in.

Ghostboy

I don't know, I'd pretty much consider him on their level. Maybe a tad bit lower. He's genuinely great in everything he does, even when it's utter shit paycheck material (Gone In 60 Seconds). Best performance? I don't know, I'm hard pressed not to say Lonesome Dove. But let's also not forget how great he is behind the camera: The Apostle was a masterpiece.

hedwig

I like Robert Duvall in "Falling Down" but I LOVE him in "Network." Obviously, uh, "Godfather," and...let's not forget Boo Radley in "To Kill a Mockingbird." When I read the book, someone told me Duvall played Boo in the movie and I just shook my head smiling and said "of course."

Btw, I would love to read this article. Where did you find it?

ddbright

He has made it big from a critical standpoint.  He won the Oscar for "Tender Mercies" and was unbelievable in "Apocalypse Now," among many other works.

Pubrick

Quote from: ddbrightHe has made it big from a critical standpoint.  He won the Oscar for "Tender Mercies" and was unbelievable in "Apocalypse Now," among many other works.
i'm forced by law to welcome u to xixax, and to encourage u to introduce urself..
under the paving stones.

soixante

Let's not forget Duvall's brilliant performance in M*A*S*H as Frank Burns.
Music is your best entertainment value.

Fernando

It's all about Days of Thunder and the unforgetable freeze frame at the end.

soixante

Quote from: FernandoIt's all about Days of Thunder and the unforgetable freeze frame at the end.

It was the greatest freeze-frame at the end of a movie since 400 Blows -- or maybe FIST with Stallone.

From an acting standpoint, Days of Thunder is a challenge, because Duvall had to talk to a car.
Music is your best entertainment value.

modage

Hasselhoff handled it.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: FernandoIt's all about Days of Thunder and the unforgetable freeze frame at the end.

does anyone have a screen grab of this -  i cant remember it at all - its been years since ive seen this
...your excuses are your own...

Fernando

Quote from: cowboykurtis

does anyone have a screen grab of this -  i cant remember it at all - its been years since ive seen this

Apparently nobody has it.  :yabbse-angry:  :yabbse-grin:

Scroll down.

Pubrick

Quote from: Fernando
Quote from: cowboykurtis

Apparently nobody has it.  :yabbse-angry:  :yabbse-grin:

Scroll down.
hahah, it was the request that broke the thread.
under the paving stones.

Gold Trumpet

A Robert Duvall thread and I never commented? Robert Duvall is our national treasure as far as actors go. He is the sanest of actors who will refuse to allow over the top tendencies to take over a role. He is also the actor most likely to play his part that in context to the life around that character. The subtle changes he has from role to role expresses so much that can't be spoken. In the film, "A Shot for Glory", he plays a Scottishman in a film already dominated by a Scottish cast. He makes no attempt to blend in through costume design. He goes into the role as naturally as any Scottish actor would and comes off as distinctly Scottish to those who wouldn't know better.

His best performance would be Tender Mercies. I'd also argue that his performance in Apocalypse Now wasn't even good. I think it is a misfire in writing and performance. Duvall was playing a caricature only.

Ravi

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on November 30, 2005, 03:15:35 AM
A Robert Duvall thread and I never commented? Robert Duvall is our national treasure as far as actors go.

...which is why I go "WHAT THE FUCK" whenever he turns up in stuff like Kicking and Screaming.  I hope he's only doing it to fund another film.