Hugh Grant taking time off - do people care?

Started by cine, April 08, 2003, 05:29:12 PM

cine

Just wondering if people care or not that he may not be in movies for a while. Any big Grant fanatics here?

cowboykurtis

...your excuses are your own...

Gold Trumpet

I'm a fan of his, and am the only one who considered his performance in About A Boy worthy of an acting nomination for the awards here. All the interviews with people who worked with him talks about they all say that he really studies the most and works the hardest at making his performance seem the simplest and most effective it can in making good comedy. With the serious actors who have been trying their hardest and usually not replicating success to their dramatic careers (Gene Hackman, Robert De Niro) it should be noted that acclaim should be given to the best of the best in what most actors claim to be harder work, the genre of comedy. Am I personally sad he is taking time off? Naw. But neither am I that Daniel Day Lewis went into retirement of sorts. He can do what he wants to.

~rougerum

Duck Sauce

I like Hugh Grant, he seems like a prick in real life, but I enjoy his bitterness in a lot of movies. He was very good in About a Boy, and I saw Two Weeks Notice on a plane and he was good in that too. I just wish hed stay away from the romantic comedies.

oakmanc234

I always thought he was okay, I liked his 'sissy' comedy. I really liked him after 'About A Boy'. He plays an asshole as convincingly as he plays a wimp (on that note, he does seem like a prick in real life, arrogant or witty? I dunno).
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

Raikus

I don't think he's a bad actor, I just think he needs more variety. He's usually the same type of goofy but sweet character in all his movies. "About a Boy" and "Four Weddings and a Funeral" were his best, I think, and in those he was more snobbish and an elitist. But he really needs a druggy role I think. Sign him up for The Salton Sea 2 or something.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Ernie

Quote from: oakmanc234I always thought he was okay, I liked his 'sissy' comedy. I really liked him after 'About A Boy'. He plays an asshole as convincingly as he plays a wimp (on that note, he does seem like a prick in real life, arrogant or witty? I dunno).

I think he's probably pretty arrogant if I had to guess...isn't he going out w/ Liz Hurley? It wouldn't surprise me if he was.

But that's what I like about they guy. It fits with his comedy. So I guess I'll miss him a little bit...he's not one of my favorites though. I never saw a lot of his movies. Personally, I don't think he's working hard enough to take a rest yet. He's living the dream of a lot of young actor's...hell, he's living the dream of most of entire male population...going out with Elizabeth fucking Hurley. He should suck it up.

MacGuffin

Quote from: ebeaman69isn't he going out w/ Liz Hurley? It wouldn't surprise me if he was.

They used to date, until his 'incident' with the hooker in Hollywood in 1995.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

bonanzataz

Kind of looks like he's shrugging. like, "woops! made a mistake. what could i possibly do about it but shrug and put on my adooooorable little wimpy brit act?"
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

budgie

What is the reason he's giving for taking time off? I'll only miss him for what I would like him to do but what he probly never will, so ultimately don't care.

I thought he was cosy with Bullock now, though I have a suspicion he's gay.

Pwaybloe

Quote from: mogwaiWe swedes love Hugh Grant.

Really?  Well, I guess there's always the Swedish Bikini Team.

Sigur Rós

Quote from: mogwaiOne swedish telly channel is showing "Four funerals" and "The English man who went down on a guy". We swedes love Hugh Grant.

Yeah, I watched it alst night! Damn, I laughed my ass of in that scene with Rowan Atkinson as the priest! Overall I think it's a good movie. Anyone agree?

Swedish Bikini Team? Are they for real?  :shock:

Pwaybloe

Quote from: Sigur RósSwedish Bikini Team? Are they for real?  :shock:

Well... parts of them, at least.