Making Video look like Film

Started by Tiff, January 08, 2003, 06:18:25 PM

Tiff

Does anyone have any tips for making my short vids look less home-video-ish and more film-ish? I'm shooting on MiniDV.
"Shut the fuck up!"

Greenaroo

While besides post programs like Cinelook you should use a Promist filter on your camera for everything you shoot. It will give it a more soft film- like look.
Check my all acid jazz Radio station called Music on Crack
http://24.103.136.104:8000/
When you get there click on Listen

Jake_82

Quote from: cecil b. dementedi think this website is very helpfull http://scs.student.virginia.edu/~fms-uva/professional/
shucks, you stole my thunder  :D
your reality is at the end of your dream

Redlum

The best thing that can be done is to shoot it with a film mentality. Putting effort into achieving a narow focus, will yield the best results. For a very obvious example of this type of focus, take a look at the closing conversation between Lucy Liu and Uma on the Kill Bill trailer. This is however very hard to achieve using most dv/video cameras but it can be done by using a neutral density filter (forcing you to keep the iris wide open) and moving the camera away from the subject and zooming in, manual focus etc. In my experience, this is the best way, without resorting to cheap tactics like adding grain, it creates a very clean film like look.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Tiff

Narrow focus? What is that?!

Where is the neutral density filter!?

What would moving the camera away from the subject and zooming in, do?

AHH!....?
"Shut the fuck up!"

Redlum

Goto www.dv.com

\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Tiff

I was kind of hoping for a quick and easy explanation...

I went to www.dv.com and all I found were reviews for cameras, which I wasn't looking for.
"Shut the fuck up!"

bonanzataz

Calm down Tiff. If you're willing to shell out a million dollars or however much those greedy bastards are offering, get Adobe After Effects.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Xeditor

QuoteCalm down Tiff. If you're willing to shell out a million dollars or however much those greedy bastards are offering, get Adobe After Effects.

Screw that!  Download After Effects from Kazaa.  That's what I did and it works perfect!
The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder.

b/a

Not that I'm much of an expert, but I shoot Mini-DV and I attempt to make it look more film like by:

1. Over-exposing it slightly. I open the iris up more than normal.

2. Shooting black and white.

3. Using really simple filters.

4. This one is really weird but after I import the DV footage into my editing program and edit it, I export it back to my camera and transfer the mini-DV to VHS and THEN I record the televison screen with my DV camera as the tape of what I shot plays. I then transfer the footage back again. It seems strange and like a lot of work but it works most of the time.

Again, I'm no professional or anything but I found those things work for me.
"Film is truth 24 times a second"-JLG

Xixax

Sounds interesting, BA. You should put some of that stuff online for us to see.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Cecil

b/a - do you have a special lens when you film the tv?

b/a

Quote from: XixaxSounds interesting, BA. You should put some of that stuff online for us to see.

www.jasonsound.8m.net

Although most of my new stuff isn't up yet. I am working on a comp. tape and a couple of shorts now, hopefully they will be up on the site in a couple months or so.

b/a

Quote from: cecil b. dementedb/a - do you have a special lens when you film the tv?

No. I have a couple of filters that I use though. My "set-up" is ultra cheap. Beyond no budget. My camera is a piece of shit too but it works for me for now. I have my eyes on that new Panasonic that shoots 24fps though.