The Canon XL-1s or the Pd-150?

Started by Outpatient_Cowboy, March 30, 2004, 11:00:47 AM

Outpatient_Cowboy

I'm sure this has been hashed out before,
But now's the time to buy a camera. Been futzing around with my god damn GL-1 and I've decided it's time to leave Boy Scouts. I shoot filmm when I can, but sometimes you have to go digital.
Anyhow, Who can give me a decent response about whether the XL-1 is a higher end camera for the money in comparison to the PD-150, does the VX even enter the arena?
Also, are there any other cameras I'm overlooking? The XL-1 and the PD-150 seem to have good reps, but they;re the only one's I've heard about.
Also. has anyon shot on HD?
"...like nailing Jello to a tree"

Ghostboy

The XL-1s has the whole lens advantage, but other than that, the PD-150 is right there on the level with it (and it had built in XLR adaptors).  The only other one you might consider is the Panasonic DVX100, which costs about the same and is similar to the PD-150, but it shoots 24p. So you might look into that.

billybrown

Quote from: GhostboyThe XL-1s has the whole lens advantage, but other than that, the PD-150 is right there on the level with it (and it had built in XLR adaptors).  The only other one you might consider is the Panasonic DVX100, which costs about the same and is similar to the PD-150, but it shoots 24p. So you might look into that.

I'm going to be shooting a short at the end of April (mostly well lit interiors), and by and large I've always used the XL-1 and XL-1S. I wasn't aware of the Panasonic shooting at 24p, but I am familiar with the PD150. D'you know how good the Panasonic is, and would you recommend it? I'm sure the differences in quality between the 3 would be minimal, but is their a clear choice, as the 24p thing sounds intriguing. Also, which of the 3 work better in low light situations, i.e. a very dark apartment stairwell, as we mostly tend to shoot source, as the coin for lighting gear isn't in the budget.

billybrown

In regards to the poll, there is no option for Sony, which would kind of make it hard if you wanted to vote for the PD 150... it's cool to see there was a write in vote option for Panasonic.

SoNowThen

I find the XL1S sucks balls for shooting source (which is all I can ever do). However, you can put the gain up a little without too much bad effect, AND if you pony up for the 55MM Plug In, you get a bleach bypass filter that you can throw on to make the black levels of your video ACTUALLY BLACK! I know, crazy. Vid usually looks shitty gray, but with this plug in you get the nicest, crispest blacks. I recommend you buy the program or get a computer-literate friend to "acquire" one for you...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

billybrown

Quote from: SoNowThenI find the XL1S sucks balls for shooting source (which is all I can ever do). However, you can put the gain up a little without too much bad effect, AND if you pony up for the 55MM Plug In, you get a bleach bypass filter that you can throw on to make the black levels of your video ACTUALLY BLACK! I know, crazy. Vid usually looks shitty gray, but with this plug in you get the nicest, crispest blacks. I recommend you buy the program or get a computer-literate friend to "acquire" one for you...

Merci for the info. Now where's the comp-literate friend?!?!  :?

SoNowThen

Actually, I kid not, anybody halfway serious about shooting digital and editing on your own computer, pony up for that program. I think it's under $200 American. It was featured in the American Cinematographer with Hero on the cover...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

pete

sony cameras react the best under lowlight--maybe the new dvx100a might keep up, but not dvx100.
I found the whole 24p to be a bit of a gimmick anyways--it still records at 30p (since that's what miniDV tapes record at) so in order to do an actual 24p you need finalcut pro 4 for a 2:3:3:2 pulldown (meaning after the tape converts your 24p to 30p, the program needs to de-interlace it and then convert it back again), and there are plenty programs that can convert your 30p footage into 24p anyways--like bulletproof (or bullet something I forgot) or moviemagic for example.  but I read the new dvx100 has a bunch of pre-set cine-gamma curves that can make your colors look more filmic, which you can also do in post.
I don't think the new dvx100 is anything groundbreaking, but it does save you a lot of time in post I guess if you want it to look "filmic".
or just do a good job with your video and hope somebody rich picks it up and does the post for you.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Redlum

I downloaded the demo (not sure how long it will last) of that app, SNT. Pretty cool. I've achieved a look like the bleach bypass plugin just by messing with saturation, contrast, gamma, and contrast in Premiere. I applied it to the untreated footage of one of my films and it came out pretty much identical to the final corrected version. From what I've used of the other ones though, its certainly an excellent plugin. Definately better than Cinelook. The footage still needs to be lit well to get the most out of it, though.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Sevaan

From someone who works with both cameras a lot, I'd personally recommend the PD-150. DVCAM mode is noticeably better quality than regular DV.

So if you can only choose between those two, go with the PD. If you can choose other cameras, I'd go with what Ghostboy recommended and consider the Panasonic DVX100.

mutinyco

"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Recce

I've worked with both the XL1s and the PD-150 and I don't find the difference terribly noticeable. I would go for the PD-150 cause of the better price. Although the XL1 does hve the interchageable lens, which is definetely a plus in the long run.
I also saw the 24p thing on the panasonic. It was pretty cool.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

kotte

I'm shooting 2 shorts the 19th with the PD150 with a wide-angle lens.
I'm actually shooting with the PD170 which the rental house told me is the same as PD150 but with improved sound quality...I think I'll do sound in-camera. Can't afford to rent a DAT-player and I've had bad experiences with minidiscs...distortion.

As someone who's never shot digital I need all the advice I can get...

mutinyco

"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

ono

Quote from: mutinycoPanasonic.
Seconded.  It is pretty.  It is so pretty.  Can't get over how great the images I'm getting are, and I'm still learning how to use it.