5 The Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford
6 No Country For Old Men
7 Southland Tales
8 This Is England
9 Michael Clayton
10 Helvetica
My assholeness knows no bounds.

last days of gerry the elephant

wow, Helvetica, I didn't think anyone else would have seen that from this forum.

cinemanarchist

Yeah, there was screening of it during the AFI Dallas Festival last year and I've thought about it quite alot since then. Insanely well put together and a wet dream for anyone with at least a passing interest in design let alone typography. Did you Netflix it or did you have a chance to see it during it's insanely brief theatrical run?
My assholeness knows no bounds.

modage

whoa, coincidence alert!  i watched Helvetica yesterday at work.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Quote from: cinemanarchist on December 29, 2007, 12:16:22 PM
Yeah, there was screening of it during the AFI Dallas Festival last year and I've thought about it quite alot since then. Insanely well put together and a wet dream for anyone with at least a passing interest in design let alone typography. Did you Netflix it or did you have a chance to see it during it's insanely brief theatrical run?

I saw it here in Toronto during Hot Docs last year. Me and my friends (all designers) must have bought out the entire screening that night.

pete

should I wait until after the oscars, when all 2007 movies have come out to regular theaters, to declare this a lacklustre year?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Sunrise

Quote from: pete on January 02, 2008, 02:06:44 PM
should I wait until after the oscars, when all 2007 movies have come out to regular theaters, to declare this a lacklustre year?

Is there something you have yet to see that would change your mind? If not, why wait. And actually, you've already done it.

But you really think this has been a down year? I think it's easily the best film year of this decade...whatever that means.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

pete

I wanna see persepolis, atonement, and diving bell and the butterfly, and that one called like four days three hours or whatever the hell it's called, but aside from that, the films didn't really move me this year.  I'm waiting for the herzog documentary to come out soon, but I haven't heard nothing about any kind of release.

Quote from: pyramid machine on December 29, 2003, 11:29:51 PM
::stares at a melitng ice cube in his cup::

actually .....the best year will be 2007......its allways the repitition of the number seven.....

starting from the 1900's............

1907-1917-1927-1937-1947-1957-1967-1977-1987-1997-2007.......

so, combining my previous two posts, and a few others:

tekkon kinkreet
the darjeeling limited
there will be blood
once
paris je'taime
no country for old men
lust, caution
linda linda linda
the king of kong
invisible waves

I have soft spots for films that can make me cry and can blindside me, though.  all of the films this year are pretty much as good as I expected them to be.  I'm gonna catch up on my Asian films this week, maybe something will jump out and bite me in the ass.  I'm praying.  I'd love to knock no country and lust caution from my list. 
- Buster Keaton

©brad

i'm sorry but you guys are on crack. what exactly are you wanting to happen, how many "masterpieces" must be released in a given year for you to declare it truly great? you might want to consider lowering your standards a bit, or making one of your 2008 resolutions to be less cynical, b/c this has been a great year in cinema.

pete, can I add Broken English to your almost perfect list?

pete

Quote from: ©MBBrad on January 03, 2008, 09:47:46 AM
i'm sorry but you guys are on crack. what exactly are you wanting to happen, how many "masterpieces" must be released in a given year for you to declare it truly great? you might want to consider lowering your standards a bit, or making one of your 2008 resolutions to be less cynical, b/c this has been a great year in cinema.

oh my god, you gotta be an alpha male about people's movie wishes?  Sorry if I'm pouty, coach.
- Buster Keaton

Gamblour.

I'm with cbrad, I can't believe how many good movies I have seen this year. My top ten is spilling over, whereas it's normally filled with third-stringers. Even my "notable" list of good movies would make a decent top five.
WWPTAD?

polkablues

This is the first year in a long time I might actually be able to make a full top ten with.
My house, my rules, my coffee