The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Started by MacGuffin, April 19, 2012, 08:18:50 PM

MacGuffin

Francis Lawrence Is Lionsgate's Choice to Direct 'Hunger Games' Sequel 'Catching Fire' (Exclusive)
Sources say that Lawrence will receive an official offer this afternoon.
Source: THR

After a quick but fairly exhaustive search, Lionsgate has chosen Francis Lawrence to direct the Hunger Games sequel Catching Fire.

Sources say that Lawrence will receive an official offer this afternoon. If he accepts and a deal can be worked out, he will replace Gary Ross, who directed the first installment of the hugely successful franchise.

The hunt has been a fast and furious one, with the field narrowing down to Lawrence, the director of I Am Legend and Water for Elephants, and Bennett Miller, the director of the acclaimed Brad Pitt baseball movie Moneyball. Both directors met with the studio today, according to sources, and Lionsgate executives have made their pick.

Lawrence was deemed the frontrunner by observers simply because of his open schedule. Miller is working his way to a December start for Foxcatcher, a true-life project centering on John Du Pont that has been his focus for several years. Miller has even lined up Steve Carell, Channing Tatum and Mark Ruffalo for the drama, and delaying it would have been a Herculean task.

Other directors on the shortlist of Catching Fire contenders were Tomas Alfredson (Let the Right One In, Tinker Tailer Soldier Spy), Alejandro Gonzalez Innaritu (Babel), Cary Fukunaga (Jane Eyre) and Duncan Jones (Moon, Source Code).

Lawrence's hiring raises the question of the state of the Catching Fire screenplay. Ross, who is a writer as much as he is a director, worked on the Hunger Games script and was planning on spending two months honing Fire, working from a script penned by Simon Beaufoy. The producers and new director now will need to keep working with Beaufoy or hire new scribes to hammer out the script before shooting begins.

The moviemakes are facing a ticking clock scenario, especially since they set a Nov. 22, 2013 release date. Also coming into play is that shooing for Fire needs to be done by late December so that star Jennifer Lawrence, who is not related to the Austrian-born director, can have time to shoot the sequel to X-Men: First Class. Fox, which is making that movie, has an option on the actress that supercedes her Lionsgate commitment.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

He also directed lady gaga's bad romance video.. so, I dunno, there's that.

Actually, he's probably the worst director out of that whole shortlist.
under the paving stones.

polkablues

The only interesting rumor was Cuaron. I'm sure it's going to end up pretty much the same movie no matter which of these second-stringers directs the thing.
My house, my rules, my coffee

RegularKarate

Gary Ross wanted to make sure that the director of the second one didn't do TOO much of a better job than he did.

I can only imagine that short list was full of a lot of people who didn't actually want to do the movie.  This trilogy will be forgotten the week after the third one comes out.

MacGuffin

Release date: November 22, 2013

Starring: Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Woody Harrelson, Elizabeth Banks, Stanley Tucci

Directed by: Francis Lawerence

Premise: Katniss and Peeta are dethroned from their respective victory riches and are put back into the arena for the most climatic and menacing of the Hunger Games, known as the Quarter Quell.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

Robyn

looking forward to this like crazy. I am feeling like a big fanboy/girl watching that trailer.

gonna rewatch the first one tonight. Am I the only who loved that one?