are you uncomfortable to start a topic or speak your mind?

Started by freakerdude, December 07, 2003, 07:18:10 PM

Pedro

Quote from: rustinglass
Quote from: Pedrosometimes i feel shy about posting a serious opinion about a film.  i feel my opinions arent mature enough, so i dont.  but i gotta start sometime.  might as well be now.
´

That post would be perfect if you'd end it by saying somethig like: "In my opinion, magnolia sucks hard."

well, it's too late now.  thanks for rubbing it in, fucker.

pete

problem with this board, especially this thread: everyone is way to similar to everyone else, but won't admit it.  So there's this constant one-upsmanship of pretty much people saying and liking the same thing but try to put it differently.  At the same time, there's this phenomenon of everyone assuming everyone else to be 20 IQ points dumber than s/he is, so there's all that unnecessary "talking down".  Oh, and passive-aggressive sarcasm.
Let's face it, this board isn't exactly diverse, we're all particularly keen to certain films (mostly post-1970 American indie films, with some French and Italian films thrown in for good measure), all listen to pretty much the same sub-genre of rock music, are all relatively well-off, and well-educated.  We're pretty much The Onion crowd.  There's nothing wrong with that, but there is this constant one-upsmanship of taste and coolness and a constant rejection of everyone else who is just like us.  Man, this is why Stefen laughs at this board so much.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

RegularKarate

I am NOT "well off" (that means wealthy).

Everyone chill... let's just talk about Donnie Darko and listen to some Modest Mouse ( I have thier entire collection on vinyl, so we'll listen to mine)

Jeremy Blackman

I'm not exactly "well-off" either... I don't drink lattes and I don't drive a Saab. But I do control the Elite Liberal Media.

Stereotyping doesn't work. Except with The Onion, Radiohead, and Paul Thomas Anderson.

Ravi

Asians, always stereotyping people.

We're different from "regular" society, whatever that is, but I don't think our film tastes are confined to the years and genre that you say.  The people here generally have pretty wide tastes in film.  Most of us have PTA, Tarantino, Bergman, Godard, and Kurosawa in common, but there is also a willingness to see films with which we are not familiar.  Looking at the Now Showing and Grapevine forums, we love mainstream films a lot too.  Still, most of us come from middle class backgrounds, with the time and money to be able to rent/buy/go to see movies.  Not too many people here who, if they had to label themselves, would call themselves conservatives.  So I see what you are saying, Pete.

pete

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanI'm not exactly "well-off" either... I don't drink lattes and I don't drive a Saab. But I do control the Elite Liberal Media.

Stereotyping doesn't work. Except with The Onion, Radiohead, and Paul Thomas Anderson.

are you poor?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: peteare you poor?
No, but I will be soon, cause I have to buy a car.

I don't think anybody who can afford a computer and internet access is poor. But "well-off" (as in being comfortable with money) is an exaggeration and probably a wrong assumption about most people here. But I know what you mean.

©brad

Quote from: RegularKarateI am NOT "well off" (that means wealthy).

Everyone chill... let's just talk about Donnie Darko and listen to some Modest Mouse ( I have thier entire collection on vinyl, so we'll listen to mine)

hahahah. nice.

that is all.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: RegularKarateI am NOT "well off" (that means wealthy).

You are my new hero.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Myxo

I actually don't give a shit.

I say whatever the hell I wanna say and if I get flamed, who gives a fuck?

:lol:

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: MyxomatosisI actually don't give a shit.

I say whatever the hell I wanna say and if I get flamed, who gives a fuck?

:lol:

Asshole.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Myxo