Louis Malle

Started by ono, January 27, 2004, 12:32:32 AM

ono

Well, I just got finished watching My Dinner with Andre a couple hours ago.  What a breath of fresh air.  I'd heard about it long ago, and finally got it from Netflix.  It was well worth the wait.  If you haven't heard by now, it's about two men, playwrights and actors the both (Andre Gregory and Wallace Shawn (from The Princess Bride, among others) playing themselves), if I remember correctly, sitting down to dinner to talk about life.  Sounds boring?  It's not.  Just don't go into the movie tired, because conversation can be lulling even when you're not tired.  And even so, this was all so captivating.  So many gems throughout that make you think, and reevaluate everything.  Definitely a must-see for anyone with an interest in philosophy, or the "chamber-drama," as I saw it put in a different thread (stuff like Linklater's Tape, which is another that I've yet to see, but is on my list).  **** (9/10)

Anyway, as to Louis Malle's other stuff, Vanya on 42nd Street is next on my list, and I've heard good things about Atlantic City as well.  Are there any others I should be on the look out for, specifically?

Alethia

the only film of his that i've seen is "au revoir, les enfants" and it was okay....see for urself tho

SHAFTR

I saw Ascenseur Pour L'Echafaud or (Elevator to the Gallows).  It has Jeanne Moreau in it and it was made in 1957 but you can see how it acts as a precursor to the French New Wave.  The film also features a score by Miles Davis.  I really enjoyed it.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

JG

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051204/REVIEWS08/512040301/1004

pretty neat review of malle's atlantic city and malle's work in general.  has anyone seen this? 

ono

Atlantic City was the second movie I checked of his, after My Dinner With Andre.  I didn't post on it then because I thought it was just okay.  A very different story -- that's all I can remember saying of it now.  Unconventional, unexpected, which is what keeps it from being futile.  And you can see how Hard Eight got its influence here in some ways here.

Quote from: SHAFTR on January 27, 2004, 02:36:17 AM
I saw Ascenseur Pour L'Echafaud or (Elevator to the Gallows).  It has Jeanne Moreau in it and it was made in 1957 but you can see how it acts as a precursor to the French New Wave.  The film also features a score by Miles Davis.  I really enjoyed it.

i studied for three math tests with that soundtrack. god bless miles davis.
context, context, context.

Alethia

so i just saw his pretty baby and it's safe to say this is definitely one of the best movies i've ever seen.  i'm gonna leave it there and hope y'all check it out.

wilder

Brief but insightful post over at The Rail of Tomorrow - Directing Anamorphic Widescreen with Louis Malle