Thirteen

Started by ono, August 09, 2003, 10:20:28 PM

Ghostboy

So would a lot of white mothers.

I understand where you're coming from, after so many black comedians have 'advocated' corporal punishment in child rearing, but it's a issue that could probably be better divided by class than race, and even then it's impossible to draw lines.

Basically, had the mother been played by Angela Basset and not Holly Hunter, that wouldn't have been an excuse for her to hit her daughter. The essence of the character would have to change.

modage

this movie was not made for 13 year olds to see it.

Quote from: mdI understand eve is hot and stuff, and maybe tracy really just wanted to make out with her, but really...what was her motivation in trying so hard to be friends with her.
a girl that was in the 'cool circle' who had previously made fun of her, is all of a sudden accepting her as a friend?  you dont believe that a 13 year old would be seduced by that?  see also: tina fey's Mean Girls for further proof that this is how girls act.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

Quote from: md
Quote from: themodernage02also: tina fey's Mean Girls for further proof that this is how girls act.

ill add freaky friday and the confessions of a teenage drama queen to that list to....
for you then...

Buena Vista Home Entertainment have now released the disc specs for the original Freaky Friday which stars Barbara Harris alongside a young Jodie Foster. The disc will be available to own from the 1st June, and should retail at around $19.99. A double pack with the 2003 remake will also be available for $39.99. The 1976 Freaky Friday will be presented in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen along with an English Dolby Digital 5.1 track. Extras will include a newly recorded Look Back With Jodie Foster interview and a Memory interactive game.

Disney have announced a release of Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen which stars Lindsay Lohan, the irresistible star of Disney's recent Freaky Friday remake. This 'hilarious comedy' will be available to own from the 20th July this year, and should set you back around $29.99. The disc will carry both widescreen and full screen editions of the film, as well as a  Confessions From The Set feature, a Eliza's Fantasy deleted scene, the Lindsay Lohan Music Video "That Girl" and an audio commentary with director Sara Sugarman, writer Gail Parent, and producers Robert Shapiro and Jerry Leider.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: mdsimply because a black mother would beat the shit out of her daughter if she ever said fuck you to her...

Quote from: mdand on the whole race thing...i have lived in the ghetto and seen families raised...for the most part they don't take shit like some white parents do.  Don't think im making an assumption merely on watching comic view.  Im not advocating violence, personally i think its cruel and unjust...but is it effective?

I have to agree.  Not only would the parents beat the shit out of her but grandparents, aunts, and uncles would come over just to get a couple of smacks in too.  I'm almost not joking.

But regarding the effectiveness of it, it's still a crap shoot. There are as many kids that will stay in line as ones that will act up even more out of defiance.  For example, a friend of mine from grade school was never allowed to go out at all, always had to be home right after school, and would get a beating if he wasn't; this happened all the way up through high school (I imagine the beatings stopped once he got taller but who knows).  The year after we graduated, I found out that he had gotten this girl we knew pregnant.  It's nothing particularly shocking but this was the sort of thing his parents were trying to avoid and it happened anyway. Personally, I think it happened because he was such a shut-in.  It doesn't just depend on the upbringing; it depends on the psychological effect that said upbringing has on the individual and we're back to square one.

Getting back to Thirteen, I posted a few weeks ago what I thought of it but after thinking a lot about it, the overall effect that the film had on me has kind of diminished.  It accidentally trivializes the shit that goes on in by trying to cram so much into one movie.  This kind of thing does go on but I understand why people find it hard to believe.

MacGuffin

Quote from: mdThis movie is very overrated, firstly the direction isnt very good...i hate the whole, psuedo verite cinematagraphy.  It did wonders for 21 grams, but it does nothing in thirteen but scream to the audience "hey look im trying to direct, but i don't know what to put here,s o ill just insert some broll footage"

I couldn't agree more. Yeah, we get it. You're trying to make it more real by having this 'documentary feel', but what you're doing is taking the attention away from the actors and the story. I will say, that Thirteen is pretty accurate in conveying how fleeting school friendships are, and the want to be popular and be with the 'in' crowd.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Quote from: mdif you thought thirteen was good at establishing and recgonizing social circles of middle grade kids, then youll love how singleton handles race,sex and um neonazism with michael "yo right right thats dope" rappaport which im assuming reflect his days at usc in his excellent sophmore film, higher learning.

I think it is his best film; better than "Boyz N The Hood."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks