Jim Jarmusch

Started by Tommy Both, February 06, 2003, 05:22:56 PM

Tommy Both

Down By Law was the bomb - saw it last night on dvd -

Never saw anything done by Jarmusch before, aside from a little bit of Ghost Dog.....
definitely gonna rent some of his other 'classics' now...

Stranger in Paradiso
Dead Man - always wanted to see that one, always been curious about it.. -
Night on Earth
Mystery Train

anyone seen these flicks?
and if they're any good, which to you recommend?

RegularKarate

I recomend them all.

I love Jarmusch.  He's not for everyone, but man, if you get his shit, you should check all those films out.

Down by Law is probably my second Fav next to Ghost Dog.
Stranger than Paridise is really good, it's got this feel to it... the most dead pan dead pan could ever get.  Very good
Dead Man is also fantastic.  Some characters that will just make you go "what the fuck?".

Night on Earth and Mystery train are good, but not really as good as the others.  Definately worth checking out though.  Mystery Train was a big influence for the feel of Pulp Fiction.

Cecil

ghost dog and stranger than paradise are very good. year of the horse too. thats all i saw. cant wait to buy the down by law criterion

phil marlowe

I have only seen Dead Man and Ghost Dog wich are great flicks but i never had the chance to see Down By Law. And i am dying because Tom Waits is my favourite musician in the whole world and the coolest man alive and i really really enjoyed him in Short Cuts and Dracula.

How is he in this film?

Ghostboy

Tom Waits is great in Down By Law, and it also feature the closest thing to a subdued performance from Roberto Benigni you'll ever see. Begnini was also absolutely hilarious in Night On Earth, which is also a good movie. Not enough to make me forgive him for Pinnochio, though.

Back to the subject, I think Jarmusch is a pretty brilliant and original filmmaker. My favorite would have to be Deadman, which is incredibly stark and powerful. It takes a few viewings to figure out what everything means, or at least what everything might mean. Gorgeous b/w photography, solipsistic editing and an eerie Neil Young score...and also a pretty gross act of violence against a human head. : ) Great movie.

Tommy Both

and let's not all forget the little Dutch part 'bout Jarmusch's style: Robbie Müller his DOP (first time I feel some pride being a Dutchman ... moviewise that is.. )
The lightning is just excellent in Down By Law, the camerawork also shows us the ease and few different angles one only needs, to make a visual stunning piece of art..

So, when is Down By Law coming out on Criterion ? After seeing it, I definitely gonna buy that Criterion..

http://www.dvdtalk.com/cinemagotham/archives/000833.html
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=4942

looks like a must
I'm gonna order it right NOW baby
OE YEAH

Royal Tenenbaum

Jim Jarmusch is one of my favourite directors. Every single film he has made has been great. The best is Dead Man, but Down By Law and Ghost Dog are very close. I actually took a film class dedicated to the films of the Coens and Jarmusch; great stuff.

chainsmoking insomniac

Ghost Dog and Mystery Train are the only two Jarmusch flicks that I've seen, and christ are they cool! He has the courage to use silence (such as the scenes in Ghost Dog and Mystery Train where Whitaker is driving in the stolen car and the Asian couple are in the hotel room...) and I'm not quite sure why, but I respect this alot.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

cowboykurtis

ive only seen dead man and stranger than paradise. i respect his talent, however do not enjoy watching his films. they are witty, very original, however i just don't think he takes an audience into mind -- they are so self concious that I can't get engaged with the film.
...your excuses are your own...

budgie

Totally love the mood. I've only seen Dead Man, Stranger Than Paradise and Ghost Dog, and will have to buy the others because I totally lose myself in his world. I love the pacing of his movies. Dead Man my favourite so far, partly cause of the Western thing and partly cause of the music. But I like the relationships in Ghost Dog.

Pastor Parsley

Quote from: cowboykurtisi just don't think he takes an audience into mind -- they are so self concious that I can't get engaged with the film.

CowboyCurtis - I was wondering if you could explain.  I've seen all his films and I'm not engaged by most of them either (stanger than paradise, and ghost dog...were exceptions for me...i loved them both!) , but I can't put my finger on it.  What is it about them that might exclude the audience?  I'm curious.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: Pastor Parsley
Quote from: cowboykurtisi just don't think he takes an audience into mind -- they are so self concious that I can't get engaged with the film.

CowboyCurtis - I was wondering if you could explain.  I've seen all his films and I'm not engaged by most of them either (stanger than paradise, and ghost dog...were exceptions for me...i loved them both!) , but I can't put my finger on it.  What is it about them that might exclude the audience?  I'm curious.

i think it really has to do with the tone and execution of the material. its very deliberately paced, very controlled; almost like you're OBSERVING the scene, rather than living, and breathing every moment, as the characters do. there is nothing wrong with that. i think much of kubrick's work is very similar. however  i love kubrick becuase i think this stylistic approach works very well with the stories he chooses tells.  i find the stories jarmusch tells much less interesting, therefore the style makes it even more disengaging. however i feel this opinion is not very fair for me to gauge until i've seen his whole body of work: to this day i've only seen stranger than paradise and dead man -- and with both i have not seen them more than once -- his work may very well be something that becomes more satisfying upon future viewings
...your excuses are your own...

Pastor Parsley

Interesting.......I love kubrick, he's one of my favorites.  I notice though that he's able to move back and forth, from scene to scene, from making you feel like you're an observer to making you feel like you are with the characters.  I think in Stranger Than Paradise, almost every scene is shot using long shots that are, for the most part, static.  Long shots always make me feel like I'm peeking from behind a bush watching the characters.

Pace is one of the things I love about Kubrick...very smooth, elegant paced films.  I know it's used to build tension but what about alienation?  Maybe fast paced films are not as true to life and slower ones are more realistic as far as the way real life is paced.  If a scene has a true to life pace does it also make you feel alienated...like you're an observer?  What do you think?

writedownhere

just go see down by law. roberto benigni is amazing. as always.

and. tom waits! gosh.

i don't feel like replying to your threads. or whatever. i'm just going to spout out my love for jim.
besides, most of you guys don't know what you're talking about. i put my stock in jim...or vincent or gus or lots of other people before stanley.

phil marlowe

Quote from: writedownherei don't feel like replying to your threads.
then misplaced is what you are.