Veronica Mars - 1st Season Really Good, Deserved To Be Watched

Started by modage, March 15, 2006, 11:39:39 PM

ono

bigideas - that is true, yes, there are five episodes of VM left after that show is over.  They are standalones, as you've said, which, IMO, is a bad idea, detracting from the premise of the show.

Kal

reason why they did that in the first place is because the CW cut the order from 22 or 23 episodes to 20... Rob Thomas said he didnt think squeezing the storyline into less episodes would work and based on the ratings, he was going to try a different approach to try and save the show.

grand theft sparrow

OK, I finally watched all of season 1.  LOVE IT!  Yet another show I wish I had gotten into when it first aired. 

So does it jump the shark in seasons 2 or 3?  I'm carefully avoiding most of this thread because I don't want to know anything about season 2 before I get to watch it.

ono

Well, if you don't want to know anything about season 2, it's best that I don't say too much about whether it jumps the shark or not other than in my eyes, it hasn't.  Season 2 is strong, but no season 1.  That's all I'll say.  Season 3 starts slow, then really picks up midway, and has made a few missteps here and there.

The few missteps I will say are quite egregious though.  Season 4 is a big question mark right now; there are two different paths the show could take, or it could be cancelled altogether.  Good to see you enjoy it.  I too got into it late, last fall, and at the very least had something to look forward to every Tuesday all throughout season 3, so in that respect it's better than most other shows on TV.

Kal

The story line in season 1 was perfect, and it defines the show and its characters. After that, its hard to continue but I think they did a terrific job in season 2. I started watching the show also last year, and I watched seasons 1 and 2 almost all together, so I think I enjoyed them more than Season 3. In that, for me its kinda like 24, which I enjoyed a lot more when I watched it altogether on DVD.

Unfortunately the show always had struggles with the ratings, and after the CW was created they gave the show a last chance. Ratings did not improve, so now its uncertain what will happen. Its almost for sure that the show will not continue under its current format, as several of the regulars have signed on for new pilots or shows, but they are considering changing the format a little and keeping the best part: Kristen Bell.

Hope it does not end really, cause its one of the best shows on TV.

tpfkabi

I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Kal

The new episodes so far very good. There is great news apparenty because they pitched the new concept to renew VM for next season and apprarently the CW loved it. Also, because Gilmore Girls is over, they have room for it.

The new format would fast-forward into the future and Veronica now works for the FBI. They said it would be a funnier-cool-hip Silence of the Lambs (and hotter in my opinion). This also means most characters or all except Veronica would be gone.

MacGuffin

'Veronica' on bubble watch
Thomas says death of show 'exaggerated'
Source: Variety

It may take a certain amount of time travel, but "Veronica Mars" could be back on the CW schedule for 2007-08, despite ongoing conventional wisdom suggesting otherwise.

"We're very much on the bubble," showrunner Rob Thomas said. "I will say that the reports of our demise have been exaggerated. We are very much in the hunt for a shot next year.

"I think I've read in every paper across the country -- USA Today declared us dead, the L.A. Times declared us dead. I don't think we're dead; I kind of like our chances."

Expected to combine with fellow female-skewing drama "Gilmore Girls" to be a lynchpin for the first-year network, "Veronica" has battled disappointing ratings (and even some weakness in its habitually stout support from critics) throughout its third season.

In its return from hiatus May 1, "Veronica" averaged 2.35 million viewers and retained 62% of its 18-34 lead-in from "Gilmore Girls" (1.3 vs. 2.1) -- down from its CW premiere in October, when it drew 3.37 million viewers and held 77% of its 18-34 lead-in from "Gilmore" (1.7 vs. 2.2).

The recent announcement that "Gilmore" will be gone for good after this season fed pessimistic projections for "Veronica," but Thomas wasn't folding his tent yet, and was even prepared to take a bold step into the future.

"We pitched them two different versions of the show," he said. "One with Veronica continuing in year two of college, and one in which we fast-forward four years and she's an FBI agent. I don't know which version they might order."

Reps from the CW and Warner Bros, which co-produces the show, declined to comment. The CW is scheduled to make its presentation at the upfronts in New York on May 17, which means that word on the fate of "Veronica" will come within a week.

"We tend to know a day or two early so we can put (series lead) Kristen Bell on a plane and get her out there," Thomas said.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

The CW cancels `Veronica Mars'

The CW network canceled the cult hit "Veronica Mars" and will try to pick up steam in its second year with series about the snobby rich, transplanted families and a bounty hunter for the devil.

The network, created out of the ashes of the former WB and UPN, had already ended the long-running family dramas "7th Heaven" and "Gilmore Girls." On Thursday the ax fell on "Veronica Mars," which starred Kristen Bell as a wisecracking teenage private eye.

Corporate parents CBS Corp. and Time Warner Inc. had hoped the CW could become a fifth major network by combining the best of its predecessors, but it has often slipped behind Univision in the ratings during a disappointing first year.

The new "Gossip Girl," about a group of prep school teenagers in Manhattan, will be given the biggest push. The CW scheduled it for Wednesdays at 9 p.m. after its top-rated program, "America's Next Top Model."

The CW's only new comedy, "Aliens in America," is about a high school student trying to adjust to a Pakistani exchange student. "Life is Wild" is a drama about a New York City family spending a year at a game reserve in South Africa.

The new drama "Reaper" features one of the CW's oldest new characters: a 21-year-old. His parents sold his soul to the devil and he's assigned to track down evil escapees from hell.

On Sunday nights, the network will debut "The CW Now," an entertainment-oriented newsmagazine for 18-to-34-year-olds. "Online Nation" will talk about what's hot on the Web.

In midseason, the CW will bring on a reality show, "Farmer Wants a Wife," about a country guy choosing among 10 women fed up with big-city prospects.

Fox will also release its fall schedule on Thursday.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: MacGuffin on May 17, 2007, 11:47:03 AM
The new "Gossip Girl," about a group of prep school teenagers in Manhattan, will be given the biggest push. The CW scheduled it for Wednesdays at 9 p.m. after its top-rated program, "America's Next Top Model."

Fuckin 09-ers rule the world, man.

Kal

very dissapointing... one of the best shows on tv. i would like to learn more about licensing and non-compete for these shows, cause even if the cw doesnt want it, the show would be an easy pick for other networks... even cable ones... but its probably not easy.

tpfkabi

that sucks.

on the other hand i guess i will have an extra hour to do something with my life.

As long as The Office keeps going.........and KOTH has been renewed again.

I thought the Pitchfork nod was funny. Doesn't seem like they mentioned it on the site at all, unless I missed it.

modage

this season wasnt as good but i'm still really going to miss this show. 

:( i loved that woman.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Kal

She'll be back... but not as Veronica :(

Apparently she'll be narrating the new CW series Gossip Girl, but it was also reported that her and Rob Thomas are working on a new pilot for next season as well.

tpfkabi

I had to tape the last two episodes and finally got around to watching them.

Were these really to be the season finales, or are there still some unaired eps?

It was left hanging, but not in a season finale hanging way........or maybe it's just me.