Christian Analysis of Magnolia

Started by Squeo, December 16, 2003, 09:34:31 PM

Pubrick

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaAre you sure about that?
yep. i was thinking about it, and i'm pretty sure about a few things. one that i'm alive. consequently, two, that we will all die. and because i hav faith in certain things, i'm also sure that death isn't/won't be the end of it all.
under the paving stones.

bonanzataz

Quote from: ewardgiven that we know nothing for definite, i dont base my life on anything like that

yeah, but isn't that what "faith" is?

just because you don't know something for sure doesn't mean it can't be. i myself do not practice a specific religion, but i do believe in god. all the major religions try to make people believe in goodness and practice good morals. it's the fundamentalists who want to adhere to all the "rules" that give christianity a bad name. i don't understand how there can be people out there who say that matthew shepherd's death was a good thing for society and still believe in the teachings of Jesus Christ. it makes absolutely no sense to me.

is there a religion thread where we can move this conversation to?
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: taz.all the major religions try to make people believe in goodness and practice good morals. it's the fundamentalists who want to adhere to all the "rules" that give christianity a bad name.

But haven't they changed Christianity so much that it's unrecognizable as an essential religion? It's funny how people don't realize that Christianity originally was not a fundementalist religion, and that dogma was imposed by political entities.

Quote from: taz.i don't understand how there can be people out there who say that matthew shepherd's death was a good thing for society and still believe in the teachings of Jesus Christ. it makes absolutely no sense to me.

The popular conception of Jesus is so bizarre and perverted that I don't think anyone can know anymore who the real Jesus was. I have a hard time internalizing a vengeful, pissed off Jesus, as he was painted in these images:

John Martin's The Last Judgment - Jesus' head in the dark cloud

Michelangelo's The Last Judgment (detail)

Alethia

Quote from: taz.
Quote from: ewardgiven that we know nothing for definite, i dont base my life on anything like that

yeah, but isn't that what "faith" is?

just because you don't know something for sure doesn't mean it can't be.

i know, but I find more paranoia in the thought of believing in a God that MAY or MAY NOT exist than actual comfort.  This is just me, though.  I believe in, basically, what I see around me.  I'm not one to say God does not exist cuz how the fuck do I know?  I don't.  I'd like to believe he does.  I think faith is a wonderful thing.  I am just a little too neurotic to have it, I think.  Religion on the other hand, has it's good points, and then it's VERY BAD points...

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: ewardI believe in, basically, what I see around me.

Then you are severely limited. Use your imagination.

Alethia

Allright, I don't think you really see my point...

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: ewardAllright, I don't think you really see my point...

If you want to be a good agnostic, a good agnostic should believe that anything is possible, and should not believe that they have seen everything.

Alethia

I might have worded it wrong.  what i mean is that...what i don't know, i won't dismiss, but i won't put any sort of belief system on it, like i won't base my life on anything that i dont know for sure to be true.  actually, I CAN'T do it is more of what I should say.  I could say I believe in God but I couldn't say it 100 percent truthfully.  I talk to God sometimes but I don't fully believe He is there.  It's all very fucked up and I am still very young and have alot to figure out, but that is where I am at right now.

The Idiot

Bigideas, what is the book you got for Christmas called?
It is said that evil men have no songs. Why is it, then, that the Russians sing songs?

-Friederich Nietchze

tpfkabi

How Movies Helped Save my Soul
by Gareth Higgins

i still haven't really looked at it, here are some he does reviews on:
the royal tenenbaums
fight club
eyes wide shut
the last temptation of christ
paris, texas
the conversation
once upon a time in america
the straight story
blade runner
ratcatcher
the films of the coens
the matrix
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

The Idiot

It is said that evil men have no songs. Why is it, then, that the Russians sing songs?

-Friederich Nietchze