What are you favorite Top 5 Movies of all time?

Started by Thecowgoooesmooo, January 23, 2003, 05:03:10 PM

Just Withnail

No mumbers, I couldn't stand putting one over the other.

Magnolia
Withnail & I
Almost Famous
Back to the Future
Trainspotting

godardian

Quote from: WithnailNo mumbers, I couldn't stand putting one over the other.

Magnolia
Withnail & I
Almost Famous
The Godfather pt. II
Trainspotting

I just saw Withnail for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Very, very good. I like How to Get Ahead a bit better when it comes to Robinson's films, though. Withnail makes a great screen name.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Ernie

Quote from: Pedro the Wombat
Clever...and humorous.  You're a funny guy.

Thanks man. I hope I'm not too clever though, overly clever people can really get on my nerves. It can be one of the most grating habits. It's probably why I'm losing interest in Kevin Smith films.

Mesh

Movies I've viewed the most times:

1.  The Wizard of Oz
2.  Ferris Bueller's Day Off
3.  Caddyshack
4.  The Breakfast Club
5.  Star Wars

Films I respect most for their artistry:

1.  Citizen Kane
2.  The General
3.  Blade Runner
4.  8 1/2
5.  The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover

Films I Consider Extremely Important for Different Reasons:

1.  Citizen Kane
2.  The Wizard of Oz
3.  Reservoir Dogs
4.  Metropolis
5.  Star Wars

The word "favorite" just isn't specific enough for me when it comes to movies.

Also:  How in the world could Almost Famous be in anyone's Top Five?  I mean, it's an OK movie, but....huh?  Kate Hudson's character is shallow, annoying, and badly acted...for starters....

ono

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet5 is easier than 10 for me.

1.) 2001: A Space Odyssey
2.) 8 1/2
3.) Grave of the Fireflies
4.) Apocalypse Now
5.) L'Avventura

(revised with PDL taken off and L'Avventura put on)

~rougerum
I can't seem to find L'Avventura on IMDb.  Did you misspell it accidentally?  When searching on that string, several movies come up, but none of them seem to be of the quality of that that would make one's top five.  Could you give the full title or a link to its IMDb page?  Thanks!

As for me, right now it's:

1) Magnolia
2) American Beauty
3) Fight Club
4) Pulp Fiction
5) Amelie

Donnie Darko is a runner up.  It really is so hard to rank one movie over another, because the more recently you've seen a film, the more you tend to love or hate it.

Banky

[/quote]
Also:  How in the world could Almost Famous be in anyone's Top Five?  I mean, it's an OK movie, but....huh?  Kate Hudson's character is shallow, annoying, and badly acted...for starters....[/quote]

Almost Famous is one of the greatest movies in recent memory.  You cant knock somones favorits lists.

ono

Sure, you can.  It just might be in poor taste.  ;)  Besides, I think Almost Famous is vastly overrated, myself, but to each his own.

MacGuffin

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaI can't seem to find L'Avventura on IMDb. Could you give the full title or a link to its IMDb page?  Thanks!

http://imdb.com/Title?0053619
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ono

Thank you.  :)

EDIT: I'd also like to mention Clockwork Orange, A, Annie Hall, Punch-Drunk Love, Waking Life, Shawshank Redemption, The, Eyes Wide Shut, Casablanca, When Harry Met Sally..., Groundhog Day, Contact, Princess Bride, The, Dead Poets Society, Singin' in the Rain, Requiem for a Dream, Dancer in the Dark.

And, I was bored, so I thought I'd put together a list (using Excel -- I'm not that masochistic) because it'd be interesting to see some sort of indication of what the people at Xixax thought were the best movies.

Title   Votes
1   Magnolia   29
2   Pulp Fiction   18
3   Boogie Nights   12
4   Clockwork Orange, A   12
5   Taxi Driver   11
6   2001: A Space Odyssey   10
7   Fight Club   10
8   Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb   8
9   Goodfellas   8
10   8 1/2   7
11   Citizen Kane   7
12   Apocalypse Now    6
13   Amelie    5
14   Big Lebowski, The   5
15   Full Metal Jacket   5
16   Lawrence of Arabia   5
17   Lost Highway   5
18   Mulholland Drive   5
19   Reservoir Dogs   5
20   Rushmore   5
21   Vertigo   5
22   Annie Hall   4
23   Casablanca   4
24   Chasing Amy   4
25   Dancer in the Dark   4
26   Donnie Darko   4
27   Empire Strikes Back, The   4
28   Godfather, The   4
29   Godfather: Part II, The   4
30   Punch-Drunk Love   4
31   Raging Bull   4
32   Requiem For A Dream   4
33   Seven Samurai   4
34   Star Wars   4
35   Waking Life   4
36   Wizard of Oz, The   4
37   400 Blows, The   3
38   Almost Famous   3
39   American Beauty   3
40   Apartment, The   3
41   Barton Fink   3
42   Blue Velvet   3
43   Chinatown   3
44   Eraserhead   3
45   Eyes Wide Shut   3
46   Fargo   3
47   It's a Wonderful Life   3
48   Paths of Glory   3
49   Royal Tenenbaums, The   3
50   Sunset Boulevard   3
51   Trainspotting   3
52   Trois Couleurs: Rouge   3
53   Way of the Gun    3
54   Wonder Boys   3
55   Back to the Future   2
56   Barry Lyndon   2
57   Being John Malkovich   2
58   Blade Runner   2
59   Brazil   2
60   Breaking the Waves   2
61   Buffalo '66   2
62   Carnal Knowledge   2
63   Carnival of Souls   2
64   Chungking Express   2
65   City Lights   2
66   Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover, The   2
67   Dark City   2
68   Exotica   2
69   Ghost World   2
70   Grave of the Fireflies    2
71   Hard Eight   2
72   JFK   2
73   Leaving Las Vegas   2
74   Leon   2
75   Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The   2
76   Midnight Cowboy   2
77   My Life to Live   2
78   Nashville   2
79   Network   2
80   North by Northwest   2
81   One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest   2
82   Out of Sight   2
83   Platoon   2
84   Scarface   2
85   Se7en   2
86   Shining, The   2
87   Silence of the Lambs   2
88   Singin' in the Rain   2
89   Spirited Away   2
90   Talented Mr. Ripley, The   2
91   Three Kings   2
92   Traffic   2
93   Trois Couleurs: Blanc   2
94   Trois Couleurs: Bleu   2
95   When Harry Met Sally...   2
It's not perfect, as I may have overlooked when some people repeated movies in different posts, but I tried to catch that when I could.  Also, where applicable I tried to use the official foreign title, or the most common title.  Anyway, IMDb Top 250 and AFI, eat your heart out.  :-D

Bud_Clay

Wow this is incredibly hard.  Surely it's impossible to have an accurate top five like this..here's a stab though:

1...2001: A Space Odyssey
2...Magnolia
3...Goodfellas
4...A Clockwork Orange
5...The Man Who Wasn't There

I tried not to list a director's film more than once but christ if you can keep 2001 & a clockwork orange off your top 5.

chainsmoking insomniac

1) Loves of a Blonde (Forman)
2) True Romance
3) Magnolia
4) Boogie Nights
5) Apocalypse Now
.....but picking a top five is just so fucking hard!!!!! :x
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Gold Trumpet

L'Avventura was not spelled wrong and I'm not sure what to make of that. All I know is you will never see that movie on the top 250 there, just different crowd kinda movie.

~rougerum

pookiethecat

top 10 (in no order and subject to change)

heavenly creatures
magnolia
donnie darko
fucking amal
marathon man
last of the mohicans (michael mann)
mulholland drive
exotica
adaptation
manhunter
i wanna lick 'em.

godardian

Quote from: pookiethecat

exotica

Yay!

Egoyan appreciators seem to be in a tiny minority here.

Spearking of which, I miss your avatar.  :(  He's awfully easy on the eyes, IMO.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

pookiethecat

Quote from: godardian

Spearking of which, I miss your avatar.  :(  He's awfully easy on the eyes, IMO.

yeah!!  one really does earn an appreciation for armenian good looks while looking at his face... haha

have you seen ararat? (egoyan's film about the armenian genocide)  looks interesting, but it got surprisingly bad reviews... :shock:
i wanna lick 'em.