Godard

Started by Duck Sauce, February 01, 2003, 08:29:30 PM

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: The Silver Bullet
Quote from: GhostboyI'm very excited that I'll be able to see a good print of Alphaville on the big screen...
:!:

I adore Alphaville!
I've been debating on whether or not I should just go ahead and buy that.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

samsong

Quote from: ranemaka13
Quote from: GhostboyI'm very excited that I'll be able to see a good print of Alphaville on the big screen...
:!:

I adore Alphaville!
I've been debating on whether or not I should just go ahead and buy that.

Buy it.

Just Withnail

Alphaville is actually the only Godard I've really disliked. I think you'll be more impressed if they screen Band of Outsiders, Ghostboy.

The Silver Bullet

Bah!

Alphaville's one of his very, very best pre-'68 films.
RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

Alethia

Quote from: Withnail & GarfunkelAlphaville is actually the only Godard I've really disliked. I think you'll be more impressed if they screen Band of Outsiders, Ghostboy.

i hated it upon first viewing too...but i saw the criterion for about 8 dollars in a local video store (excellent condition) and figured 'what the hell' and upon two subsequent viewings, i absolutely love it.

Just Withnail

For me it was the first Godard that didn't resonate some way or another. What else I've seen of his have always left strong impressions on first viewings, then gotten better for each one. Perhaps eward's right and a second and third viewing is fitting, but that'll have to wait, as it's not long since I saw it, and would want to wash away as much of my memory of it as I can before my second go.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: cowboykurtisoverindulgent
Better to be overindulgent than grossly untalented.

good one
...your excuses are your own...

cowboykurtis

Quote from: Withnail & GarfunkelAlphaville is actually the only Godard I've really disliked. I think you'll be more impressed if they screen Band of Outsiders, Ghostboy.

i think alphaville is one of the few godard films i really like
...your excuses are your own...

Ghostboy

Well, I've seen both of them, although Alphaville was so long ago, and I was so young in my cineaste-ness (I think I was 15 and prior to that had only seen Breathless) that I don't trust my reaction. I read the screenplay, too, actually. All thanks to Tarantino, of course.

tpfkabi

do you think they will screen one of these in the next few weeks, or are we talking about early next year?

i'm tempted to come to Dallas and see I Heart Huckabees and Undertow. Godard on the big screen would be a big time motivation!
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Alethia

Ghostboy

Quote from: bigideasdo you think they will screen one of these in the next few weeks, or are we talking about early next year?

i'm tempted to come to Dallas and see I Heart Huckabees and Undertow. Godard on the big screen would be a big time motivation!

Hmm, my apologies for missing this query. The answer is early next year. The Inwood is closed for renovations until Jan. 12.

The Silver Bullet

Quote from: ewardnew interview with godard...
It's a fine interview, if a little short. He can be such a jerk, but so effortlessly funny [and right] at the same time; I love it:

QuoteQ. Are you still passionate about movies?

A. Yes, but it's difficult because one can't see many.

Q. Because they're not being made or you don't have the time?

A. Because generally they're all American films.

Q. I understand. I'm a movie critic.

A. Americans don't have critics. For me, there are only two, James Agee and Manny Farber. The rest are reviewers.

Q. O.K., I am a reviewer, that's fine...
RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

tpfkabi

Quote from: Ghostboy
Quote from: bigideasdo you think they will screen one of these in the next few weeks, or are we talking about early next year?

Hmm, my apologies for missing this query. The answer is early next year. The Inwood is closed for renovations until Jan. 12.

yeah i saw that in the last e-mail. i just ordered Alphaville Criterion and some others with the 20% discount at Deep Discount DVD. can't wait to see it!
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Alethia