Cat Power

Started by Film Student, January 04, 2004, 03:38:04 AM

Film Student

Decided to devote a whole thread because I just love Chan Marshall so damn much...

Who's with me? Any Cat Power fans in the house?  If so, thoughts on You are Free as compared to Moon Pix...  Personally, I prefer You are Free...
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

Sigur Rós

I've only heard the new album "You Are Free" but that was top nutch. So maybe I'm a future fan.

Pubrick

oh yeah, i'd definitely hit it. hotter in the moon pix tho. you are free, that's gotta go on last year's top 5, i forgot.

sounds great as always, cept she's sort of clearer now/ .. the real difference would be seen in her performances. i've never seen her live, but i hear she doesn't freak out as much anymore.
under the paving stones.

Rudie Obias

moon pix is a great album.  i saw cat power last year and she totally blew me away!  she covered the white stripe's "dead leaves on the dirty ground".  good show!
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

godardian

You Are Free really got me on board. She used to live in Portland a few years ago, when I would go to a lot of show, and it seemed like she opened for every band that came through. Really awful performances, very unfocused and self-conscious, and I felt too much of that also tainted the records. You Are Free marries the talent to some confidence, and it makes all the difference.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

extremely low quality video of living proof, directed by harmony korine: http://www.matadorrecords.com/cat_power/music.html
context, context, context.

hedwig

Quote from: cronopio on February 01, 2006, 11:08:53 AM
http://www.matadorrecords.com/cat_power/music.html

i've never seen a Korine film but this video certainly lives up to his reputation for filming odd, beautiful, intriguing imagery. lovely use of slow-mo. i love the shot at about 2 mins 37 seconds in.

it didn't blow me away at first, but watching it again i realize i've never seen anything like that before.  :yabbse-thumbup: for originality.

godardian

I'd been wondering what happened to Korine. . .I kind of half-expected him to wind up in a mental hospital or something, so it's good he's working.

I'm going to let everyone in on a little secret: I think "Maybe Not" from You Are Free is my number-one soundtrack song for the unwritten script in my head. The perfect sounds and words to take us into the end titles of my tender and elegiac story.

Don't anyone go stealing this idea, now. I'd hate to have the "By This River" situation happen again, where I thought "By This River" was a perfectly evocative song for a soundtrack for YEARS before my discovery was stolen by Moretti for The Son's Room and Cuaron for Y Tu Mama Tambien:yabbse-angry:
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

squints

extremely low quality video of living proof, directed by harmony korine: http://www.matadorrecords.com/cat_power/music.html

This video reminds me of the video for "No More Workhorse Blues" from Bonnie Prince Billie...its definitely a different style but like the BPB song i just don't see the point. The images we're seeing don't compliment the song in any way. Very strange use of slow-motion. I find myself growing tired and restless with every bit of Korine's work that i see.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

ABKman18

I don't mind the video. I actually think it adds another meaning to the song; takes a new place, which I like.

I am a super cat power fan.

I love all most everything she has done.  And of course, I'm loving The Greatest at the moment.

Too bad her tour was cancelled due to illness. Hopefully she recovers soon.

matt35mm

Quote from: ABKman18 on February 09, 2006, 05:04:57 AM
I don't mind the video. I actually think it adds another meaning to the song; takes a new place, which I like.

I am a super cat power fan.

I love all most everything she has done.  And of course, I'm loving The Greatest at the moment.

Too bad her tour was cancelled due to illness. Hopefully she recovers soon.
It was?  Bummer.  I was thinkin' of going to the San Francisco show on the 23rd or 24th.  But yeah, now I'm looking at her myspace page and I see that all the February dates are gone.

colbent

Quote from: squints on February 06, 2006, 09:54:05 AM

This video reminds me of the video for "No More Workhorse Blues" from Bonnie Prince Billie...its definitely a different style but like the BPB song i just don't see the point. The images we're seeing don't compliment the song in any way. Very strange use of slow-motion. I find myself growing tired and restless with every bit of Korine's work that i see.

Yeah. I don't think Korine is really about anything.

Alethia

killafilm

Quote from: godardian on February 05, 2006, 01:42:21 AM
I'd been wondering what happened to Korine. . .I kind of half-expected him to wind up in a mental hospital or something, so it's good he's working.

I'm going to let everyone in on a little secret: I think "Maybe Not" from You Are Free is my number-one soundtrack song for the unwritten script in my head. The perfect sounds and words to take us into the end titles of my tender and elegiac story.

Don't anyone go stealing this idea, now. I'd hate to have the "By This River" situation happen again, where I thought "By This River" was a perfectly evocative song for a soundtrack for YEARS before my discovery was stolen by Moretti for The Son's Room and Cuaron for Y Tu Mama Tambien:yabbse-angry:

I remember someone telling me he was living in a treehouse in Tennessee.

As for your little secret.  It's out there and now will be featured in a commercial for either Razor Blades or Tampons in the coming months.  Let's all hope not.

Alethia

uhh has no one read the last five posts or so in the harmony korine thread?  that treehouse shit was like 3 yrs ago or something, i think...there are photos of it on his site